Is comedy genre taking its last breath on Hindi TV?

OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 1 years ago

From couple of years we are seeing declining of comedy shows. Sab TV is reducing comedy shows from last 3-4 years. Jijaji Chhat Parr Koii Hai was the last proper comedy show. After that no comedy show came. Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, Maddam Sir, Wagle Ki Duniya were comedies before JCPKH came but from last year they are reduced to social message and pravachan shows with hardly any comedy scene. Pushpa Impossible which I thought will be society comedy like Laapataganj and TMKOC initial years has turned out to be another dramatic show. I mean this show would have suited more on other channels. In March 2022, Sab TV's business head announced that Sab TV is no longer comedy so we can stop expecting any proper comedy now from that channel. A couple of years back, Star Bharat's comedy revamp where they brought 4 comedy shows flopped badly with 3 shows ending and one converting into drama. The channel revamped with these shows at the wrong time and due to channel's low viewership they were expected to flop. Even Big Magic has no signs of any new shows let alone any new comedy shows. Now in the name of comedy only Bhabhiji Ghar Par Hai and Happu Ki Ultan Paltan is remaining. Now we also have Anandi Baa Aur Emily on Star Plus which is good and funny but its also dramtic kind of show. If these 3 shows BGPH, HKUP and ABAE ends then the comedy genre will be completely over from Hindi TV. Is comedy genre taking its last breath on Hindi TV?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MochaQueen thumbnail

I think romcoms will still work. Lets see how Sherdill Shergill does

Originally posted by: la_Reine

I think romcoms will still work. Lets see how Sherdill Shergill does

But I talked about proper comedy show. Sherdil Shergill may be rom-com but still under daily soap category. Hope they don't ruin the show further knowing the history of its PH. Along with shows like Sherdil Shergill, sitcoms needs to be back too. 

MochaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jerry_Chuhiya

But I talked about proper comedy show. Sherdil Shergill may be rom-com but still under daily soap category. Hope they don't ruin the show further knowing the history of its PH. Along with shows like Sherdil Shergill, sitcoms needs to be back too. 

I understand that current audience likes to watch romance and supernatural shows. But I dont get their fascination with toxic heroes🤔

Sshesha thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: la_Reine

I understand that current audience likes to watch romance and supernatural shows. But I dont get their fascination with toxic heroes🤔

Current audience mostly likes to watch regressive saas Bahu sautan dramas where romance is just a coating. Not romance and supernatural show's. Still I can't get the PH's love for manhandling heroes.

Sshesha thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 3

Comedy never takes a last breath that soon.  Every year for once or twice, there will be a comedy show to retain a set of audience. But the quantity could be less.

MochaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sshesha

Current audience mostly likes to watch regressive saas Bahu sautan dramas where romance is just a coating. Not romance and supernatural show's. Still I can't get the PH's love for manhandling heroes.

PH only shows what viewers want to see and what brings them ratings

Even supernatural shows get the highest trps like Naagin

dhun.laagi thumbnail

It has. Sab TV or even Sony/Colours/other channels comedy shows are not about clean humor anymore at all. It has become very dramatised and somewhat vulgar. Writing comedy that suits everyone used to be an art that seems to be locked up in the mid 2000s now. All we can do is accept that and move on to watching standup comedy on OTT if it suits us.

dhun.laagi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sshesha

Depends on who they quantify as the audience tbh. There is a section of internet fandom who are not comfortable with the amount of cringe shown as content, but do not have a say when the trps keep soaring for the most disgusting shows and hence just move to OTT which can meet some of the morality standards. Does not matter what the genre of the show is, you find very regressive ideals, some of which were not even prevalent in the 80s/90s. As for manhandling heroes, yes, it is very shocking how normalised it is becoming on all the mainstream shows. On one hand we tell everyone how it is a turn-off and red-flag for relationships in real life and on the other, we allow them to idolise MLs, who molest the FL and then make them submissive to the point where the victim falls in love with her abuser. 

Originally posted by: nautankitadka

Depends on who they quantify as the audience tbh. There is a section of internet fandom who are not comfortable with the amount of cringe shown as content, but do not have a say when the trps keep soaring for the most disgusting shows and hence just move to OTT which can meet some of the morality standards. Does not matter what the genre of the show is, you find very regressive ideals, some of which were not even prevalent in the 80s/90s. As for manhandling heroes, yes, it is very shocking how normalised it is becoming on all the mainstream shows. On one hand we tell everyone how it is a turn-off and red-flag for relationships in real life and on the other, we allow them to idolise MLs, who molest the FL and then make them submissive to the point where the victim falls in love with her abuser. 

Currently, a serial with a stalker marrying FL is a channel topper. Talking about Star Bharat's Ajooni.