Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

DDLJ to be remade with white male lead

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 1 years ago

Are SRK fans fine with this ?

The new 'DDLJ' musical cast a white man as the lead. Fans aren’t happy about it.

Sakshi Venkatraman

Wed, August 3, 2022, 7:09 AM·2 min read

In this article: 

• Shah Rukh Khan

Shah Rukh Khan
    Indian film actor

• Aditya Chopra
    Indian film director and producer

1 / 2

The new 'DDLJ' musical cast a white man as the lead. Fans aren’t happy about it.

Shutterstock file

Shah Rukh Khan’s character Raj in the Hindi film “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge” is as iconic as the movie itself. The funny, flirty, animated man became synonymous with romance in 1995, and the fondly nicknamed “DDLJ” has been hailed as a classic since.

That's why Bollywood fans were disappointed when they learned that not only is the movie being redone as a musical, but Raj is being reimagined as a white man named Rog. Rog, short for Roger Mandel, will be played by actor Austin Colby in the upcoming Broadway-aimed production “Come Fall in Love — The DDLJ Musical.”

Meanwhile, Simran, the love interest originally portrayed by Bollywood actor Kajol, will keep the same name and be played by Indian American actor Shoba Narayan.

Lovers of the original “DDLJ” said they are shocked that whitewashing of characters is still happening in 2022.

“this is beyond HORRIFYING,” one person . “So broadway is adapting the iconic Bollywood movie, DDLJ into a musical and guess who they cast to play Raj... YES A WHITE MAN."

Audience members who fell in love with Khan’s portrayal of Raj say they won’t be going to see the musical.

“I got super excited when I my friends informed that DDLJ (my fav film) was coming on Broadway.We decided to fly,” Indian chef Vikas Khanna . “Then I read that ICONIC Raj is played by Austin Colby as Rog Mandel. I might never see THIS.”

The musical is set to open in San Diego on Sept. 14 with the aim of debuting on Broadway in the 2022-2023 season. It's helmed by Aditya Chopra, who directed the “DDLJ” movie.

“What was he thinking???” another fan  in response to Chopra’s team casting a white man in the lead.

Chopra, Colby and the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego did not respond to requests for comment.

In an Instagram post following the news of his casting, Colby admitted he wasn't familiar with the original production.

"A few months ago, I had never heard of the film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) or known of it’s global impact," the actor, who previously starred in "Frozen the Musical," wrote. "I am in awe of this beautiful love story, celebrating Bollywood film at it’s finest."

With an already slim number of Asian roles in American media, Indian Americans say taking one away feels like a slight, they said.

“i am..sick and tired of white people taking away representation from south asians," one person . "we hardly get any.”

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

This might turn out to be Better 😆

FlyOnTheWall thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 2 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Guddu.Pandit

This might turn out to be Better 😆

Because of white people? 

FlyOnTheWall thumbnail

Koi bhi actor play kare they should do a good job 

Wo Harry Potter ka jo Broadway banaya tha cursed child ka usme sirf representation ka dhyan rakha tha baki to pura bakwas tha 

They should focus on more important things like changing script here and there to suit sensibilities of their audience 

Make it a good experience for people watching 

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: FlyOnTheWall

Because of white people? 

Sarcasm is the word.

DobbyDeol thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Adi chopra’s original choice was Tom cruise. Toh ye toh fitting hai. 

MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

There was a rumour that Aditya wanted Tom cruise to play the main lead in the original 🤣 chalo finally uski vision is getting fulfilled 😛

FlyOnTheWall thumbnail

mqdefault.jpg

JayaBachan thumbnail

I find that all Western musicals pretty much suck anyway. La La Land put me into an self-induced coma, and that was supposedly "good" .. though apparently not good enough to keep me conscious. I have zero expectations from this but I wish them the best of luck. 

Edited by FingerFetish - 1 years ago
Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Why it is even being remade