To mask or not to mask

dahibhalle thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 2 years ago

I think this place is more appropriate for my Covid ramblings as we move on to a world increasingly in denial of Covid.

In Sydney, I am an increasingly an outlier in being masked as I go shopping and now often get strange looks- the only others smart enough to be masked indoors are Asians.

I don't like wearing masks - communication is such an important part of my work and a lot of elderly patients rely on lip reading to hear and we cannot see each other faces , we can't see the faces of our colleagues and it's a bit of mess.

Yet, I continue wearing them because it is still such a fcuked up disease - one of work mates- triple vaxxed, marathon runner was coughing up blood, had brain fog and still feels knackered while other just had a sore throat for 1 day.

Our hospitals are also struggling with previously unheard of waiting times of 7-8 hrs , we are seeing a lot of  sick people and I don't know if this is because covid increasing vascular complications down the line but there is a lot of collateral damage that can be attributed to this pandemic.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

Do you wear thr N95 mask?

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: dahibhalle

I think this place is more appropriate for my Covid ramblings as we move on to a world increasingly in denial of Covid.

In Sydney, I am an increasingly an outlier in being masked as I go shopping and now often get strange looks- the only others smart enough to be masked indoors are Asians.

I don't like wearing masks - communication is such an important part of my work and a lot of elderly patients rely on lip reading to hear and we cannot see each other faces , we can't see the faces of our colleagues and it's a bit of mess.

Yet, I continue wearing them because it is still such a fcuked up disease - one of work mates- triple vaxxed, marathon runner was coughing up blood, had brain fog and still feels knackered while other just had a sore throat for 1 day.

Our hospitals are also struggling with previously unheard of waiting times of 7-8 hrs , we are seeing a lot of  sick people and I don't know if this is because covid increasing vascular complications down the line but there

is a lot of collateral damage that can be attributed to this pandemic.

I don't think it's denial, i believe they have become terribly weary

I get the strain it puts on healthcare workers... Am very thankful for their services

But why does one of the most strict adherent(of all the Covid protocol s) country like Australia has the most cases time and time again?  

It's the same here in the US the most strict states have the most cases

dahibhalle thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Do you wear thr N95 mask?

I still do , I don't see me ever taking it off for the rest of my professional career and I still wear it in indoor settings.

I don't like wearing it but I rather not get Covid.

dahibhalle thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

I don't think it's denial, i believe they have become terribly weary

I get the strain it puts on healthcare workers... Am very thankful for their services

But why does one of the most strict adherent(of all the Covid protocol s) country like Australia has the most cases time and time again?  

It's the same here in the US the most strict states have the most cases

I agree about the weariness but wish people would understand that then it can't be business as usual when it comes to healthcare.

Rampant covid in the community means healthcare workers also get covid which leads to understaffed hospitals and delayed and poor patient care. We are also seeing a lot more sick people this year and  I am not sure if this is downstream effect of Covid as we still know so little about this disease.

Recently there was a case in one of the city hospitals where a palliated cancer patient died in the back of an ambulance as he could not be offloaded to a hospital bed.

Australia had very strict draconian measures but that's not been the case for a while now- other than masking up in heath care settings , there is no compulsion to do so any more.

dahibhalle thumbnail

decided to delete

Edited by dahibhalle - 1 years ago
dahibhalle thumbnail

deleting

dahibhalle thumbnail

deleting

vijay thumbnail

Well if you are fine wearing one I don't think others will complain. 

It's just that with the new relaxed rules now you cannot ask people to comply to the same thing. Recently I was in the UK and didn't find many people wearing the mask. Even though I was wearing mask most of the time still I contracted Covid.

BTW correct me if I am wrong, I read that if you are wearing a Mask you are basically protecting others (in the event you got Covid) and you are still vulnerable even if you are wearing one. There are so many ways you can come in contact with this Virus, how much you can avoid? 

Rather work on your immunity and stuff so that incase you come in contact with this Virus you can fight it and overcome the same.

Virus is here to stay.. so better get back to your regular life instead as we are on this planet for limited time only.

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

I love wearing a mask cuz I'd rather not interact with peoplešŸ¤£ and it keeps me and others safe so it's a win win. 

Nicely layered cotton masks on hot humid days are better.