Views

Users

Frequent Posters

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Sorry Empty, I lost you at "whence"!

J/K

Krsna (whose son was Visvaka) was mentioned as an author/composer in Rig Veda. Belonged to Angirases priestly family. The 10 mandalas were attributed to 10 different priestly families.

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I can speak about Tamilnadu  as I have travelled extensively here looking out for temples.

I have never seen a single Ravana temple ancient or recent  or him being worshipped here ever.

Do not confuse political propaganda of self proclaimed Atheist politicians with religious beliefs of the Hindus in the state.

I have seen several temples of Rama though. Largest shrine of Rama is in Kumbakonam known as Ramaswamy temple with almost 6 feet tall idols of Rama Lakshmana Sita With Bharat Shatrughan and Hanuman by their side

In rural hinterlands if you ask someone would you name your son Ravan response will always be he was “kettavan” a bad guy.

Never found a Duryodhan other than in movies

Andhra has one temple that I have heard of in Kakinada that has a statue of Ravan worshiping Shiva 

ofcourse Bali is worshipped extensively in Kerala and parts of TN but he was a good guy and deserves the worship 

people are so illiterate about our own mythologies that they think a golden skin fair Brahmin Ravan was a Dravidian inspite of him robbing the kingdom of Lanka from his brother though he was born and educated in UP. His wife from Mandodari from present day MP and dark skinned Kshatriya Rama was an Aryan just bcoz he came from Ayodhya

If only people bothered to read Ramayana would they know where Ravan was born where he gained his education that his father Vishrava was a Brahmin Rishi and that he had fair skin

That is why I support Kangana’s statement that Sanskrit must be revived for people to atleast be able to read ancient scriptures instead of watching stupid TV serials and get misguided 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

To all the great people who claim those verses don't exist, here you go.

I became lazy and instead of going to the text and searching for the verses, I Googled and gave you the wrong book.

But after some incredible minds here claimed it couldn't possibly be true, I thought I'd better get you the texts. 

It's book 8, hymn 96. In SANSKRIT.

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rvsan/rv08096.htm

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

I can see how it could get confusing to some even after 122+ days of "visit streak" and 6k+ posts.

I don't see anyone making a claim here that Vedas and Puranas are the same; straw man fallacy to  distort an argument and attack that distortion.

There is absolutely nothing inaccurate about viewing the Upanishads (the Vedanta, the end portion of a Veda), as a subcategory or a subtext or a part of the Vedas. To ridicule this position as somehow being analogous to propounding that the earth is flat is, preposterous! And since the discourse in Upanishads is presented in a narrative form, they are simpler to understand, relatively speaking, than Vedas which are in essence the literal sounds of the Divine.

And what does my commenting on Bollywood have to do with needing to remember IF is not the place for talking about texts?

And yes, the poster I responded to claimed exactly that puranas are a simplified version of vedas.

And wow, I feel important!smiley36 You all actually went to my profile and pulled up posts to discuss. I don't think in all my *visit streak* and umpteen number of posts, I've ever felt invested enough to dig up someone's old posts, but hey, you do you. 😆

Go ahead and translate the actual Book 8 and Hymn 96 from Sanskrit. (Link in prior post)

While you are at it, you might want to actually verify that Indra and Krishna actually were enemies. It's pretty clear in Mbh, SB, and HV.

And also note that Rig Veda is an INDRA centric text. Aryans worshipped Indra. Not Vishnu, not Shiva.

But wilful ignorance has no cure. So you will continue with the same. 

Edited to add: the irony of people arguing Book 8, hymn 96 doesn't exist because they didn't find the English translation! The same people who put themselves up as supporters of Sanskrit and all things native.

Fun part is y'all don't even seem to realize Asuras would have been Aryan, too. 

I was citing that that mainly to emphasize Vishnu worship started in India, not outside. 

And Krishna was dark, not the fair skinned Farex baby shown on TV.

Edit 2: my friend who actually understands Sanskrit tells me he would interpret the verses as Indra HELPING the cowherd on the banks of Amshumati to beat back the dark hordes.

That would go against the plot in the Krishna-specifc texts, but it is an interpretation

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

I became lazy and instead of going to the text and searching for the verses, I Googled and gave you the wrong book.

But after some incredible minds here claimed it couldn't possibly be true, I thought I'd better get you the texts. 

@ the bolded part: You are being inexact there.

But, if the argument is still about Rig Veda alluding to Lord Krishna: in Mandala 8, Hymn 96, as translated by Ralph T.H. Griffith, the only words with the letters "kr" in them are 1) Sakra 2) Satakratu.

I hope you are not confused by references to Krsna (Angiras), a vedic rishi, described in the Rigveda as a teacher of divine knowledge.

K.Universe. thumbnail

And wow, I feel important!smiley36 You all actually went to my profile and pulled up posts to discuss. I don't think in all my *visit streak* and umpteen number of posts, I've ever felt invested enough to dig up someone's old posts, but hey, you do you. 😆

I did no such thing. I knew for a fact that "An Asur called Krishna lived on the banks of river Anshumati." could not be your concoction so I Googled for that exact phrase and Google showed your favorite website at the top followed by your own post on these forums a year ago.

And Krishna was dark, not the fair skinned Farex baby shown on TV.

Can we not have these inappropriate product placements in the middle of a serious discussion please? Thank you!

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Can we not have these inappropriate product placements in the middle of a serious discussion please? Thank you!

very true. 

by the way, one of the funniest things i ever heard here is the existence of a said "dravidian religion". Apparently, ravan worship is on. 🤣Now i can understand he had some traits that were admirable... but then so did goebbels😆. Does not mean one should go around building temples in fond remembrance of these evil characters. Some people go to such contortions to try to show they are distinct from the rest of us, then they take offense when most people don't get them! The complexes some people have!  

the color fixation they seem to have also comes across so clearly. 😆

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

very true. 

by the way, one of the funniest things i ever heard here is the existence of a said "dravidian religion". Apparently, ravan worship is on. 🤣Now i can understand he had some traits that were admirable... but then so did goebbels😆. Does not mean one should go around building temples in fond remembrance of these evil characters.

No common ordinary folks in my state (Tamil Nadu) worships Ravan. There are no temples of Ravan here. 

Politicians use his name for propaganda but that doesn’t work here at all as no one is a fool to fall for it here. He is the poster boy for atheists commies and left liberals but common folk worship Rama 

Some people go to such contortions to try to show they are distinct from the rest of us, then they take offense when most people don't get them! The complexes some people have!  Color fixation they seem to have also comes across so clearly. 😆

Its Color insecurity rather. You can see it in the North Indian fair skin heroines imported for all major movies and actors. And it’s been there since ages. Somehow they keep forgetting Rama Krishna Vishnu are dark skinned. 
can’t make them understand, I see it in my own family. They have problems with Hindi and Bollywood but Tamanna Kajal Agarwal etc are their favourite heroines. Their hypocrisy is funny 

K.Universe. thumbnail

Link elucidates the composer of each hymn, the deity of each hymn and the chhanda of each hymn. Feel free to search for krsna and Visvaka who make an appearance in several hymns, especially mandala VIII.

Edited by K.Universe. - 2 years ago
Heisenberg17 thumbnail

So according to you, this Krsna is Vasudeva Krsna of the Mahabharata? 😆  So this so-called native guy "Krsna", who for some bizarre reason has an Indo-Aryan name, rather than a Dravidian, Mundu name, or whatever your choice of linguistic family you wanna plug in as the "native" one, not only has no ancient or medieval commentator have ever associated the two together, but no pro-AIT/AMT Indologist have ever associated the two together either.

Krishna was a Yaduvanshi, a descendant of Yadu, as per the Mahabharata.  The Yadus are a Rig Vedic tribe. 😆