Advice needed: How do I quit ties with a toxic online friend group?

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 years ago

This is a personal problem and I'm seeking advice because this has been bothering me for a year now. This seems like a nice place with level headed members so thought I'd post here. Please, do not read further if you don't want to contribute to personal issues of someone. Thank you :) 

They are not toxic in the traditional sense, but they overshare, mock other members often who post in the group and over indulge in the hobby group. It all seems a bit overwhelming to be honest. I had left once before but found myself joining the group chat again. This is on a very popular social networking site that rhymes with Feta. My mental and physical health is at an all time low. I kinda feel that getting away from them would further damage me as I would feel hollow and would miss the chat. But also I'm not getting anything done in real life due to the chat and it's eroding my self esteem. Getting off the chat would further complicate the situation as I wouldn't want using the site anytime after this, so just direct deletion? Advice needed! How do I get away? 

Edited by DetachednNumb - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NathuPyare thumbnail

This advice is coming from a VERY level headed member -

Find a new interest and get addicted to it. U will stop missing the previous addiction (your online social group in this case).

TheMinion thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 8

Not toxic in a traditional sense, members mocking other posters - sounds very much like Bollywood forum.

Also, I wonder what made you think members here are level headed 😆

On a serious note - count to 10 every time you feel like opening the chat and after that distract yourself.

Socklet thumbnail

Please just leave from the GC. You won't miss it. Like you said it'll do more harm than good. 

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

- Try to find distractions. Read a book, pick up a hobby, find something distracting. For some, you may need to find a physical activity to prevent you from going to your phone. 

- Escape in nature. Go on walks, hikes, or read a book outdoors and leave your phone at home. 

- Delete apps from your phone and tablets. Use them once a day/once a week from desktop only

- It is never easy to restore mental health or quit toxic habits. Most of us are not professionals and our advice may not be suitable for you. Try to find a therapist who can help you and give you the tools you need to suit your lifestyle and personality. 

Manavi_kesari thumbnail
IPL 2023 Participants 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 4

Leave the online group n keep busy urself in real , develop a hobby 

crispsy thumbnail

Mute the GC. It works ❤️

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: DetachednNumb

This is a personal problem and I'm seeking advice because this has been bothering me for a year now. This seems like a nice place with level headed members so thought I'd post here. Please, do not read further if you don't want to contribute to personal issues of someone. Thank you :) 

They are not toxic in the traditional sense, but they overshare, mock other members often who post in the group and over indulge in the hobby group. It all seems a bit overwhelming to be honest. I had left once before but found myself joining the group chat again. This is on a very popular social networking site that rhymes with Feta. My mental and physical health is at an all time low. I kinda feel that getting away from them would further damage me as I would feel hollow and would miss the chat. But also I'm not getting anything done in real life due to the chat and it's eroding my self esteem. Getting off the chat would further complicate the situation as I wouldn't want using the site anytime after this, so just direct deletion? Advice needed! How do I get away? 

Ignore these people 😆

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

EXOL thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 7

Leave it asap.  Trust me when you leave such a place you will find  better things which you dint notice before or even new online friends. Your worry is you will be missing out but nope u will be only missing the stress which it causes and that's a positive thing. This kind of stress is not worth it. Personally, I am not big fan of GC's on any social media platform . Sooner or later it gets ugly . so my advice is stay away from any kind of GC's.  there are ample amount of discussions on websites like reddit. u can try that. dont delete the app either. It will increase ur FOMO. 

Good luck . 

ETA :  I left such a bunch of toxic friends and man that was the best decision ...the kind of happiness it brings is amazing so u also do it. 

Edited by EXOL - 2 years ago