Users

Frequent Posters

*dolly* thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
thanks sahana ji for sharing ...
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I am grateful to India Forums for letting me know the existence of Javed Akhtar's book "Tarkash". After hearing about it in Retro Cafe, I went and bought the book in Delhi this time. This is the first time I have bought a Hindi book which is not a textbook πŸ˜†

It's a treat to read Javed's prose. Sample this:
1.Baap Bambai mein hain, maa kabr mein.
2.Waapis Bandra jaana hain jo kaafi door hain. Paise bus itne hain ki yaa to bus ka ticket le lu, ya kuch khaa lu, magar phir paidal waapis jaana padega. Chaney khareedkar jeb mein bharta hu aur paidal safar shuru karta hu. Kohinoor Mills ke gate ke saamne se guzarte hue sochta hu ki shaayad sub badal jaaye lekin yeh gate to rahega.

There are a whole lot of poems written during various occasions in his life. This book is a real treat!

Edited by punjini - 17 years ago
*Jaya* thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

I am grateful to India Forums for letting me know the existence of Javed Akhtar's book "Tarkash". After hearing about it in Retro Cafe, I went and bought the book in Delhi this time. This is the first time I have bought a Hindi book which is not a textbook πŸ˜†

It's a treat to read Javed's prose. Sample this:
1.Baap Bambai mein hain, maa kabr mein.
2.Waapis Bandra jaana hain jo kaafi door hain. Paise bus itne hain ki yaa to bus ka ticket le lu, ya kuch khaa lu, magar phir paidal waapis jaana padega. Chaney khareedkar jeb mein bharta hu aur paidal safar shuru karta hu. Kohinoor Mills ke gate ke saamne se guzarte hue sochta hu ki shaayad sub badal jaaye lekin yeh gate to rahega.

There are a whole lot of poems written during various occasions in his life. This book is a real treat!

Wow - this sounds really really interesting... I am surely going to buy this one... Am already excited to read it... 😊

Barnali thumbnail
We have seen so many musical duo's fading aay after their partnerships broke.

Shankar-Jaikishen, Kalyanji-Anandji, Nadeem-Shravan, Laxmikant-Pyarelal all were helpless as their empire crumbled before them because of the non availability of the services of their partners. fact is the survivors couldn't bridge the gap left by their partners. It was too much for the individual to recreate the earlier magic of the duo.

Salim-Javed was one such duo in the field of story writing, script, and screenplay. It would be trifling to say it was just another partnership. They were (in my opinion 😊 ) the most successful script and dialogue writing duo in the history of Bollywood. the duo churned out one blockbuster after another and just when it seemed that nothing could go wrong… it did. πŸ˜‰

Javed Akhtar has proved wrong to an otherwise accepted rule. he is one achiever who due to his sheer talent and grit, outshone and outclassed the achievements of the duo, Salim-Javed. there were too many doubters. but,Javed Akhtar proved his cynics completely wrong. contrary to all expectations, Javed tasted greater success after the Salim-Javed team broke up.

Since then, Javed Akhtar strode the corridors of Bollywood like a colossus, and he still is Bollywood's safest bet to come up with soul stirring lyrics. What i like most about this extremely talented writer is that his lyrics are always appropriate to the story or theme of the movie. much more important, his lyrics are immensely hummable and easily understood by the common man. Javed Akhtar's strength lay in his roots.Though he was at loggerheads with his father, Jan Nisar Akhtar, he might now want to thank him for the genes he inherited.

Javed Akhtar has an uncanny ability to observe life much beyond the capabilities of an ordinary soul. But what is much more striking is that he dresses his thoughts and observations with the most appropriate words that are simple and easily understood by the masses. Therefore, his lyrics are lucid and easy on the ears – but then, there lies great genius in simplicity.

It's a matter of conjecture what the duo Salim-Javed could have achieved in all these years had they not split. Bollywood had lost the most successful storywriter team, but it also gained a very sensitive lyricist.

Edited by Barnali - 17 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Barnali, you have expressed it so aptly. Almost like Javed Akhtar himself!
advil thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

I am grateful to India Forums for letting me know the existence of Javed Akhtar's book "Tarkash". After hearing about it in Retro Cafe,

Infact Sahana,

in that Retro episode, the whole script was nothing but excerpts from the book read out by Sanjeev. A great episode of Retro that was.

The book is written in such a simplified language. At least thats what it seemed hearing the quotes in the episode.

punjini thumbnail
After reading Tarkash, I realise that the "Angry Young Man" created by Salim-Javed was none other than Javed himself. Javed remained angry with his father all his life like Amitabh in Trishul.
ritzbitz thumbnail
thanks sahana ji, for sharing those wonderful articles and thoughts.. πŸ˜›
and yes barnali di , i was glad to read ur thoughts too and see that one right thru πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† Edited by ritzbitz - 17 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Famous Dialogues from TRISHUL

Jisne pachchees saal apni maa ko dheere dheere marte dekha ho, usko maut se kyaa darr.

Sahi baat sahi waqt pe kiya jaye to uska maza hi kuch aur hai, aur main sahi waqt ka intezaar karta hoon.

Main paanch lakh ka sauda karne aya hoon, aur mere jeb mein paanch phooti kaudi bhi nahin hai!!

Aur aap, Mr R K Gupta, aap mere najayaz baap hai. Meri maa ko aap se chahe zillat aur be-izzati ke siva kuch na mila ho, lekin main apni maa, usi Shanti ki taraf se aap ki saari daulat vapas lauta raha hoon. Aaj aap ke paas aap ki saari daulat sahi, sab kuch sahi, lekin maine aap se zyaada gareeb aaj tak nahin dekha. Good bye, Mr R K Gupta.

You are right, Mr R K Gupta, yeh contract mujhi ko milegi. Aur haan, mere banaye hue colony mein agar aapko ghar chahiye, to taqalluf mat kijiyega, makaan aap ko mil jayega.
punjini thumbnail
Another Trishul gem:
Taajjub is baat ki nahin hain ki usne yeh kaam kiya.Taajjub is baat ki hain ki usey pehle se maaloom tha ki woh yeh kaam kar sakta hai!