AR Rahman on why the music of JTHJ wasn’t his best work

Posted: 2 years ago

In an interview to a local daily, Oscar winning music composer and singer A R Rahman spoke on why the music of the much-hyped Jab Tak Hai Jaan, disappointed some of his fans.

A R Rahman

“Some movies have this acceptance of whatever genre you do. There is a particular style of filmmaking they (Yash Raj Films) have tried and tested and they make amazing amounts of money. People love their movies and I had to fit into their genre. Their parameters were very small.”

When asked if he compromised on the quality of his music, or was restricted in some way, Rahman said “Not compromise, but I had to set my tone to their level. I had two songs in Punjabi.”

“They promote their songs very well. They are amazing people, they have a great studio. So I have probably gone out of my zone to meet their expectations. The film made Rs 250 crore. So they are very happy about that.” he added.

With Yash Chopra as the director, Shahrukh Khan as the hero and the Academy award winning Rahman-Gulzar behind the music, JTHJ was the most-awaited music album of the year. Unfortunately, on release, the songs on offer left a lot of Rahman fans underwhelmed.

Lies. The truth is because Sonu ne gaane Nahi gaaye. Isliye quality gir gayi.

Originally posted by Mishh007

Lies. The truth is because Sonu ne gaane Nahi gaaye. Isliye quality gir gayi.

for Saans yes 😲😉

The fact they cancelledt beloved Lata_didi in exchange for young Shreya_ma'am on Saans was a big mistake. She done cursed the whole empire and lo and behold, it was R.I.P. to JTHJ et al. 

Originally posted by Rekha_ji

The fact they cancelledt beloved Lata_didi in exchange for young Shreya_ma'am on Saans was a big mistake. She done cursed the whole empire and lo and behold, it was R.I.P. to JTHJ et al. 

What lata and for saans.....what lata would have done to saans if many people thing she ruined veer zara 😊

He was the worst choice for a commercial YRF romance. Producers see a big name and decide to hire a composer without thinking if it suits the movie or not. He was also supposed to do OSO but it eventually went to Vishal-Shekhar who did a fabulous job.

Originally posted by Digitallove

He was the worst choice for a commercial YRF romance. Producers see a big name and decide to hire a composer without thinking if it suits the movie or not. He was also supposed to do OSO but it eventually went to Vishal-Shekhar who did a fabulous job.

Shahrukh and rehman had a cult Dil Se , 

I dont know why ARR feels this way- I m probably in the minority but I loved Heer, Ishq Shava and Jiya re. Really great songs!

I honestly hate all the songs in this movie. I have to change the channel every time a Saans or Ishq Shava comes on.

I love the title track and Challa..but other songs Naah..

Edited by -FreeLancer- - 2 years ago