Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MJHTMonayaSajan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Finally got some time to sit down and write about this show!! It might be a long post so I will try to break it into parts..

First things first, I haven't read these or any other books by this writer...how good is she? I assume, based on my online searches after I watched the show, that on the scale of Stephenie Meyer to Jane Austen, she is somewhere in the middle...and what I mean by that is- she is not the typical wattapad or other story writers where its just plain simple guy meets girl, series of events, they fall in love and happily ever after..nor is she so evolved to have complex characterizations, layered stories and captivating dialogues..is this assessment accurate?

Either way, I think we have enough bad writers and great digital content creators now, that I have far ahead from the concept of "a book is always better than the movie/serial". I have personally enjoyed many movies better that the books and many where the story was actually improved in the digital version, this book also being the case, from what I hear/read.

And I know everyone is talking about the next season and Anthony's love story and it being the greatest book amongst others but I think most people have watched this show when it first aired in 2020 and have had enough time to get over RJP's charm :D I still am soo involved in this hero that I kind-of feel the second season is going to underwhelm the first one, especially the RJP/Phoebe chemistry!!! Although I am happy they wont extend Daphne-Simone love story for no reason and create unnecessary complications...RJP is not even part of the next season, but does anyone know if the character will be absent or will he be replaced? I hope he wont be replaced as I dont think they need that character anyway, he could be conveniently busy with work and not come back to London for this season or something like that...

Ok, actual review of the show coming in later posts lol...

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Originally posted by: MJHTMonayaSajan

I haven't read these or any other books by this writer...how good is she?  

She's fairly good. And I mean that in the best possible way. Her books are a light read, and I like it that way. She's pretty much like most Historical Romance writers in that sense. She does write some endearing characters that grow on you though. And the humour in her books is on point - most often. That being said, I've enjoyed some of her non-Bridgerton books much more.

I have personally enjoyed many movies better that the books and many where the story was actually improved in the digital version, this book also being the case, from what I hear/read.

I don't know about that. I do agree with the idea that many shows/ movies are better than the books, but not certain that applies here. I certainly give them credit for adding a lot of 'masala' πŸ˜† The books are pretty one-dimensional and you don't see much happening outside of the main couple. From that angle, the series does look more layered, but as someone who read the books ages ago and watched this show only because it was based on those books, I did not like certain aspects of the show - especially the Colin - Marina and Anthony - Siena storylines and just Anthony's character in general. They ruined Book! Anthony for me. Also the humor from the books is sorely missing. They're all so serious (except for Eloise and to an extent, Ben) - which just isn't the case in the books. 

I still am soo involved in this hero that I kind-of feel the second season is going to underwhelm the first one, especially the RJP/Phoebe chemistry!!! 

I'm probably in the minority here, - well, not probably - I know I am in the minority but I just could not feel RJP and Phoebe's chemistry. Although they are both very pretty to look at, there's no doubt about that. I found Phoebe to be the better actor, and to me RJP lacked something especially in the emotional scenes. He was great in the passionate scenes though.

And TVWLM is my favorite book in this series, and 'Duke and I' is likely my least favorite, so yes, I am way more excited for this season!

I hope he wont be replaced as I dont think they need that character anyway, he could be conveniently busy with work and not come back to London for this season or something like that...

Yeah, he won't be replaced - the fandom will riot if they do πŸ˜†. They'll just make allusions to him, saying he's busy 'duking'! πŸ˜† And yes, he barely figures in the rest of the books - in TVWLM for the Pall Mall Game in which he can be easily replaced by a Bridgerton sibling. And then he features a bit in RMB- Colin's book. Again - no biggie. 

Daphne's presence will make up for his absence i guess, and she can get her revenge on Anthony this time by being the interfering sister in his love life! And Phoebe and Jonny really like each other, she's called him her favorite co-star (almost all of them have actually) so their scenes will be a delight I think! And I so look forward to seeing Simone as Kate (another of my favorite characters in this series!)

Hey Tina. Look forward to your reviews.

I'm re-watching Season 1 and comparing my reviews now to the one I wrote back when I first watched it when it dropped. Let's see if any opinions change! I know a few have already! πŸ˜†

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Bridgerton Season 1 Episode 1

- Grosvenor Square 1813, Baron Featherington's house

- "Is she to breathe, Mama?" πŸ˜†

- Ahh the Bee. I didn't notice it, it was there the first time they showed the door of Bridgerton House

- Colin: She likes me better than you! πŸ˜†

- Eloise is being such a Judge Judy! πŸ˜† All because Daphne is dressing up!

- Daphne! You must make haste! (Ahh Eloise is me, I am Eloise! I hear your frustration, Eloise! πŸ˜†)

- And ugghhh Anthony and Siena tree-rutting scene. Book!Anthony would never behave like this! Why did they do this to him? πŸ€’

As you said, only for "masala" (sex scenes) 

- Gregory is cute. He's gonna grow up to be a real heartbreaker! I wonder if they'll have the same kid (Will Tilston) play him when it's time for his story? Maybe he'll be sufficiently grown up by then? Though Google tells me he's only 15 πŸ€”

- Why did they have to make the Featheringtons such goofballs? I mean they're not the greatest in the book either, but I think the series took it a notch farther than the books. πŸ€”

Honestly, they gave me the "Cinderella step family" vibes with Daph being Cinderella and Lady F being her stepmom lol...although the sisters were not that vicious

- Flawless, My dear! Golda nails it as Queen Charlotte. She does have that regal air!

- Aww, look at Anthony being the proud older brother! 

- Pen and her famous yellow gown is here. She actually was dressed nicely for her 'coming out'.

- That's Lady Cowper - Cressida Cowper's mother? chatting with the Featherington family

- Marina is here. And her gown (and she) is so pretty! β­οΈ

- Ahh, here comes the Dashing Duke! β˜ΊοΈ

- Argghhh - I hate Anthony with Siena. I do not like it. Not one bit! πŸ˜‘

- First ball at Danbury House! The dance cards are being laid out!

- Ughh again! Anthony the insufferable boor makes an appearance, he's dismissing all Daphne's potential suitors. Why and how did they ruin Book!Anthony so much? He's my fav Bridgerton! But Jonny looks Delish.. save for the ridiculous mutton chops πŸ˜† Did they do it on purpose so he wouldn't outshine RJP? πŸ˜•

So, how does the book show that Daphne has no proposals/suitors the next morning? What is shown to cause that? Or its not there at all? If not there at all, then why does she pair up with Simon to pretend to be a couple? I think yes, to not outshine RJP and they did correct it towards the end of the season to set him up for a successful hero in S2

- Ok, the Lady Danbury in the books was a force to contend with. And a force to avoid. She had a way of making people nervous by her candidness. Although the Lady D in the show is irrepressible as well, she seems to lack the humour that the Book!Lady D had in plenty!

Yes, I did feel the character could have been given more scope and edge

- Nigel Berbrooke accosts Daphne! πŸ˜†

- Ok, that first Simon and Daphne meeting felt underwhelming - I can't see the sparks. Especially  because of RJP's expressions in this scene πŸ˜”

What are you saying??? LOL πŸ˜ƒ Is your love for Anthony might be causing this unconscious bias πŸ˜‰

- Eloise trying to shield Daphne from Berbrooke πŸ˜† (I love Claudia's expressions here!)

- And I do not see even an ounce of chemistry between Colin and Pen 

- Daphne is coming across as so shallow and empty-headed - she's obsessed with getting married πŸ˜”. Idk if Book!Daphne was like this too, I read Duke & I ages ago and have no wish to re-read it.

I actually liked that character arc of her...Initially desperate to get married and obsessed with the number of suitors at her door but eventually she realizes thats not what its about...you remember she telling to Simon during one of the dances "Its not about finding the best suitor or impressing Lady Whistledown, its about a life...my life...and I cant let it go wrong..." I think given the time period and the opportunities given to women/expectations from women, it would be natural to have your entire focus on just finding the love of your life and having children. Thats what the society raised them for 

- Violet looks so pretty in the blue-black velvet gown! And her jewelry! 

- The dinner table conversation and the bantering Bridgertons is cute, ngl. Colin is going to spar with Jackson himself and Ben is jealous! πŸ˜† Why does RJP look so bored? πŸ˜†

- "Reformed rakes make the best of husbands". Ok, I hate the way A talks to Violet in this scene! He's insufferable! πŸ˜‘ (though i still love Jonny β˜ΊοΈ)

- Cressida Cowper being a mean bully to Pen! πŸ˜‘ Idk Nicola just doesn't do it for me as Pen! And neither does Luke as Colin. Pity because I've always loved both characters! Even if their romance was Meh for me!

- Colin being gallant and asking Pen to dance. But why was she rushing as if he's asked her to sprint instead? πŸ˜† Perhaps because they were dancing the quadrille?

- I like Polly Walker as Mama Featherington. She does a great job!

- A being an overbearing pain in the a** again- telling Daphne that she has to marry Berbrooke. What an idiot! πŸ˜‘

- "I will not hear of this" - Phoebe's expression is so weird here! It made me laugh!

- She punched him! She punched Nigel in the face and he went down like a lump! πŸ˜†

- Ahh there's an Easter Egg for Lady W - Pen watching as Daph and Simon come in from the Dark walk

- They do look pretty together  

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Hey Tina. Look forward to your reviews.

I'm re-watching Season 1 and comparing my reviews now to the one I wrote back when I first watched it when it dropped. Let's see if any opinions change! I know a few have already! πŸ˜†

Arey I reallyy don't know why you don't see that sizzling chemistry πŸ˜†I mean, I actually binge watched the serial, watched Simon-Daphne scenes like 10 times on repeat and watched all the YouTube compilations of their love story so yeah, at this point..I have kind of gotten over it...but man, the first couple of times, I was soo swayed by it...also, the first 4 episodes specially before it takes a dark turn...

About RJP's acting, I think he is really good actually ...One particular scene which just stayed with me was when they are at the opera (post wedding, post all the drama), and he holds Daph's hand affectionately, and then Daph feels something and goes in to check and yes, her periods have started..and she starts crying...and he listens to her cry...and he doesn't fully cry but man that expression...it conveyed so much in just those 5 sec close-up...the pain, the helplessness, the longing...

btw all these iconic dialogues-

" I burn for you", " All Is Fair In Love And War ....", "you can choose to love me", "to find a best friend in the most beautiful woman"...are they from the books or are they written for the serial? I was thoroughly impressed with the dialogues ..in fact, I think the dialogues kept me hooked in more than the story in the later part of the show...

About my view on the serial in general...I think I thoroughly enjoyed the first four episodes...but post-wedding, the serial kind of dragged in my opinion...maybe its the weak plot or not enough explanation in the effort to trim the book...I really felt some parts were unnecessary...I am a sucker for fairytales...and I understand life is not all hunky dory and the hardships to maintain any relation, especially a couple's relation and I appreciate the part where the book/show tries to go beyond the "Happily ever after" and shows how communication is important, how you have to "choose to love each other everyday", how you have to be with each other and help them grow etc...but only if, there was enough backing for those misunderstandings, breaking ups...For example, when Daphne says "The duke and I will marry" during the duel..what causes Simon to think Daphne doesn't love him and do all that drama? Can someone seriously explain it to me? To me, it was pretty obvious, the way she talked to him outside the ball, the way she went into the garden, the way she kissed back..the way she accepted him despite telling that he can't give her children...wasn't it obviously love? What made him think he trapped her into this marriage? Weren't there two sets of lips involved in that kiss? From her side, I understand that despite the kiss, he had said he didnt want to marry and then his behavior post engagement could make her feel like she trapped him...

Also, why did Daphne kept swinging back and forth between "I love you even if we don't have kids"-"How can you not give me kids? Its not ok"-"Oh you will leave me if I don't accept you as-is, ok I love you even if we don't have kids" πŸ˜†

There just didnt seem a good explanation/reasoning for character's decisions..or maybe I am too dumb to understand those layers

I also felt there was too much unnecessary s*x scenes in Epi 5..I understand what they were trying to show with Daphne being so innocent and unaware ("Does that hurt?") and Simon pulling out..but still it was just too explicit for my taste

Also, coming to the most controversial scene...I honestly did not know and realize it could be seen as a r*pe scene when I initially watched it...my bad, looking back, I can definitely see how Daphne kind of took advantage of Simon...though here are some of my thoughts on it...I think its not an out an out r*pe...at least the way its portrayed in the show (I read excerpts from the book somewhere and they look much more objectionable)...he was aware and more than willing to engage initially..even after she took control..it was only that he didnt want to come inside her (sorry, might seem gross but I dont know how else to write it)...it was not that it wasn't pleasurable for him or he didnt want it..it was just that he was worried abt the consequences...and on Daphne's part, its understandable how she felt that he took advantage of her...he knew she didnt know anything and still didnt tell her properly, despite sometimes her asking questions abt it..bcz he unconsciously knew she was not ok with it...and then once she knew and it was right in his face that he hid it from her, and she is not ok with "will not have children", he couldn't do it anymore...like they needed to come to an agreement before engaging again in such activity (that explains the staircase scene)...so I think it was wrong on both parts...and although what Daphne did was wrong, it wasn't evil...

Here is a great article I read on it- https://aninjusticemag.com/daphne-bridgerton-did-something-evil-and-thats-great-507a1eb2fbeb . I seriously don't know whether the book or show writer thought so much about the scene as we are analyzing it..I think the book writer just added it while writing the book to give story a turning point and then it became so pivotal that they had to keep it in the show but was it originally added in the book just to create some conflict or did she really think through it and analyzed it on so many layers as this above article does? We don't have a way to tell but I still found the above article a good explaination/reasoning for what happened and why...

LizzieBennet thumbnail

I can't requote my own post so answering here:

By 'masala' I didn't mean only the sex scenes, but also other stuff. 

I actually made a post here : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/160096189

about all the stuff that wasn't in the book that were added in the show.

Interesting you should say you got a 'Cinderella' vibe from Pen's family, because that's exactly what Ben's book is based on! 

Tbh, I don't remember Duke and I, I read it ages ago and do not remember the details, but I do remember that Anthony wasn't such a huge d**k in it! 

Again, interesting you should say that societal pressures made Daph behave the way she did because Eloise and Pen do not marry until the very late age of 28, when society has deemed them as being 'on the shelf'.

I daresay Daphne showed growth and I will probably see it too - this was my opinion on her in the first episode - I'm penning down my thoughts as I watch each episode so if I do see the growth, I will definitely make a note of it!

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Arey I reallyy don't know why you don't see that sizzling chemistry πŸ˜†I mean, I actually binge watched the serial, watched Simon-Daphne scenes like 10 times on repeat and watched all the YouTube compilations of their love story so yeah, at this point..I have kind of gotten over it...but man, the first couple of times, I was soo swayed by it...also, the first 4 episodes specially before it takes a dark turn...

About RJP's acting, I think he is really good actually ...One particular scene which just stayed with me was when they are at the opera (post wedding, post all the drama), and he holds Daph's hand affectionately, and then Daph feels something and goes in to check and yes, her periods have started..and she starts crying...and he listens to her cry...and he doesn't fully cry but man that expression...it conveyed so much in just those 5 sec close-up...the pain, the helplessness, the longing...

I haven't yet come to the scene you mention, I will pay attention to it when I do.

That being said, even on first watch (if you read my review that I posted back in Dec 2020 when I watched it for the first time) I have said that i couldn't get the chemistry between Simon and Daphne. They are both beautiful people, but something in either their acting or the way the scenes were put together seemed off. Then again, chemistry is subjective.

To me that single still of Anthony and Kate dancing screams chemistry, but I have seen others say they can't see it. So.....

I stand by my thoughts on RJP's acting. He's great at looking stoic and impassive but in scenes where there is a bit of an emotional push, he leaves me unmoved. Phoebe is better in such scenes. 

What stood out for me was the last scene - when their baby is born and Daphne gives him to Simon to hold. You could see the joy, the amazement on Daphne's face, but on Simon's - well, I could see none of it. Perhaps I'll change my mind on my re-watch!

I do not think my love for Jonny (or Anthony) is clouding my judgment. πŸ˜†

I have never seen these actors in anything before (except for Nicola in Derry girls), so I had no pre-conceived notions about them. I went about watching with an open mind, and I just gave my honest opinion.

You don't have to worry - more people are on your side than mine, mine's an unpopular opinion! πŸ˜†

LizzieBennet thumbnail

btw all these iconic dialogues-

" I burn for you", " All Is Fair In Love And War ....", "you can choose to love me", "to find a best friend in the most beautiful woman"...are they from the books or are they written for the serial?  

"I burn for you", is taken from TVWLM, Anthony says it to Kate. Not sure about the other two. I think they borrowed heavily from JQ's own works in Season 1- maybe because they did not know if they'd be extended, and wanted to give it their best shot. 

For example, when Daphne says "The duke and I will marry" during the duel..what causes Simon to think Daphne doesn't love him and do all that drama? Can someone seriously explain it to me? To me, it was pretty obvious, the way she talked to him outside the ball, the way she went into the garden, the way she kissed back..the way she accepted him despite telling that he can't give her children...wasn't it obviously love? What made him think he trapped her into this marriage? Weren't there two sets of lips involved in that kiss? From her side, I understand that despite the kiss, he had said he didn't want to marry and then his behavior post engagement could make her feel like she trapped him...

I think it's to do with the society and the general conditioning during those times. Gentlemen do not kiss and grope well-bred ladies like Simon did to Daphne, and he being the rake and she being the innocent, he probably felt it was entirely his fault. Even if she reciprocated. That's just how society was structured in those times. Anthony also blamed Simon and called him out when he refused to do the honorable thing and marry Daphne. Because it's the gentleman's onus to do the right thing since it's the lady's reputation that hangs in balance. Ladies had a lot more to lose if their reputations were ruined - this held true even through most of the 20th century.

For his part, I think Simon felt that after that kissing incident and being witnessed by Anthony, Daphne did not have much of a choice. She was 'ruined' in society's eyes, and to resurrect her reputation, the only thing she could do was marry the man who had been responsible for 'ruining' her. So during the duel, Simon is nowhere close to believing that Daph could be in love with him because he thought a) she was focused on her own reputation and b) she had to save her family/ her brother from getting killed. 

The fact that she accepted him even when he told her he couldn't give her children must have just driven home to him the desperation that Daph feels. She was so ruined that she felt compelled to accept even someone like him, and make a compromise on having a family. That's just how England was in those times. Reputation was everything for a woman, because it was difficult for single women to survive in society. That's why he's so clouded with guilt that love must have been the farthest thing from his mind. Also, Simon has never really been truly loved before, he doesn't know what that looks like, what it feels to be unconditionally loved by someone even if they hit him on the face with it.

Also, why did Daphne kept swinging back and forth between "I love you even if we don't have kids"-"How can you not give me kids? Its not ok"-"Oh you will leave me if I don't accept you as-is, ok I love you even if we don't have kids" πŸ˜†

There just didnt seem a good explanation/reasoning for character's decisions..or maybe I am too dumb to understand those layers

Ahh, I don't know about this. I'd have to re-watch. But when she went from Phase 1 to Phase 2, I think she felt betrayed. It was weird to me how this couple never talked about anything! Everything was assumption between them!

But yeah - she thought he was unable to have kids so she accepted him.

Then she found out he could have kids but he's choosing not to, so she felt betrayed.

I don't know when/how she got to # 3. πŸ˜† - the you will leave me part.. 

Will re-watch and post my view here again if I get it! πŸ˜†

Also, coming to the most controversial scene...I honestly did not know and realize it could be seen as a r*pe scene when I initially watched it.

Yeah, when I first read the book, tbh, I never thought of it as r*pe either. I think it's more non-consent than r*pe because he wasn't sayng no to the actual act, just the completion of it. I would say she robbed him of choice in that matter and in the modern context it does seem problematic. 

Daph was an innocent, I recall her tirade at her mother, chiding her for not being more open to her about how sex works. It does seem stupid in today's context, but ladies then were shielded from a lot of things, especially stuff like this. But I have read a lot of HRs and even if the FLs were innocent/virgins, they exhibit a healthy curiosity and go poring over biology books to satisfy it. πŸ˜†

For the amount Daph was obsessed with marrying (and a family) I don't know how she did not probe more on how babies are made, and what wifely duties actually mean! πŸ˜†

A lot of other stuff bothered me too - like how could Pen (as Lady W) deliberately write about Marina and out her to everyone as pregnant? Just so that she would not marry Colin? Wouldn't it have been better to tell Colin than go about this in such an underhanded way? Especially knowing how alone and ostracized Marina would be? Her desire to have Colin for herself clouded all her judgment until she couldn't see what was morally right?

Pen in the books wasn't like this - she wasn't deliberately malicious. Lady W just wrote about the things she saw in a fun way. I couldn't abide by this change in Pen's character just as I could not abide by the whole Colin- Marina storyline. He was so in love with her, and yet, that one lie prompted him to leave her to the wolves? Again, perhaps I will see this differently on my re-watch! 

Thanks for the article, I'll read it soonish.

I must learn to treat the books and the series as separate entities πŸ˜†

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

My goodness! The details people notice!

Because Kate doesn't have her dance card, and the other woman does, it's their betrothal ball! I like the logic! πŸ˜†