I_M_SultaN thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Ajeeb-ladki

Him in her post is Salman na?!

i accidently read it them lol i thought he/she was talking about as a whole 😆

Edited by ChotaShakil420 - 2 years ago
atominis thumbnail

I think Salman and Aamir have done the right thing by reducing their dependence on co stars and changing their 90s typical romantic star image. This has ensured they have better chances in older age. And do not have to worry about looking older than heroine or playing lover to girls half their age.

I believe all older stars should reduce dependence on co stars or romantic roles for longevity as leads. Rekha also did films like Khoon Bhari Maang, Phool Baney Angaara from mid to late 80s which did not require her to do too many scenes with hero and did not lead to comparisons or discussions on whether she looked older or unsuitable for roles or not. Those female cop or widow avenging death of husband etc type roles gave her hits and also kept her relevant when other actresses of her generation were beginning to get mom/MIL roles. 

SRK may give space to heroines but he also gets flak for looking older than young female co stars or tapping into nostalgia of pairing with old co stars like Kajol. 

Rajinikanth's success as male lead even at 60 plus has shown a hero could do better if he had films all about himself and marginal dependence on other co stars. 

I feel all older stars should try to reduce dependence on co stars and romantic stories/characters. Rani is also doing it right with her Mardaani series and films like NOKJ that do not require her to be paired with any hero. Vidya also strategised it right by doing stuff like Sherni, Kahani, NOKJ which require no hero nor require her to play conventional romantic female lead. 

Edited by atominis - 2 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: atominis

I think Salman and Aamir have done the right thing by reducing their dependence on co stars and changing their 90s typical romantic star image. This has ensured they have better chances in older age. And do not have to worry about looking older than heroine or playing lover to girls half their age.

I believe all older stars should reduce dependence on co stars or romantic roles for longevity as leads. Rekha also did films like Khoon Bhari Maang, Phool Baney Angaara from mid to late 80s which did not require her to do too many scenes with hero and did not lead to comparisons or discussions on whether she looked older or unsuitable for roles or not. Those female cop or widow avenging death of husband etc type roles gave her hits and also kept her relevant when other actresses of her generation were beginning to get mom/MIL roles. 

SRK may give space to heroines but he also gets flak for looking older than young female co stars or tapping into nostalgia of pairing with old co stars like Kajol. 

Rajinikanth's success as male lead even at 60 plus has shown a hero could do better if he had films all about himself and marginal dependence on other co stars. 

I feel all older stars should try to reduce dependence on co stars and romantic stories/characters. Rani is also doing it right with her Mardaani series that do not require her to be paired with any hero.

Interesting... 

Do you have a PhD in BW or something? Your analyses are detailed and informative  :)

atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Interesting... 

Do you have a PhD in BW or something? Your analyses are detailed and informative  :)

Thanks. No I have no PhD in cinema but just observe whatever I watch. For eg actors whose forte was conventional romantic leads faded very soon such as Rajesh Khanna and Rajendra Kumar and could never make successful comeback as main leads either. Today SRK is also facing similar problem. Same happened to actresses too unless they were ones who did not need to rely on conventional romantic lead roles. It's patterns which begin to make sense if one looks back in retrospect. Today Akshay is getting flak when he does Prithviraj Chauhan type role but does not get same flak when he does Mission Mangal. Rekha was looking rather old to play coy girl in love with Rajinikanth or Rakesh Roshan in Phool Baney Angaara and Khoon Bhari Maang, she is awkward in initial parts of both films but on fire in rest of the films when she turns into an avenging cop or vigilante model, which made those films successful and acceptable to audience. 

Audience does not fall out of love with their fav actors but their acceptance for type of roles changes with time. Actors and filmmakers who grasp this basic sense, tend to last longer, as history has shown earlier. 

Edited by atominis - 2 years ago
Jaitreya23 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Well if he is top hit hero then why should he? The heroines who become higher than heroes also do the same.Nothing wrong in that 

He is not working in movies for charity or spreading equality.

RoNoSarKar7 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Sridevi overshadowed sallu in Chandramukhi and Chaand Ka Tukda. 

atominis thumbnail

Salman used to get overshadowed by heroines in a lot of 90s films. He was eclipsed by Kajol in Pyar kiya toh darna kya, Karishma in Biwi no. 1, Jeet, by Madhuri in HAHK, Saajan. He often got overshadowed by heroes as well. Sanjay Dutt overshadowed him in Saajan, Sunny Deol eclipsed him in Jeet, SRK overshadowed him in Karan Arjun, Aamir overshadowed him in AAA. 

I am not surprised he goes solo and keeps it all about himself now. He was quite sidelined by Rani and Preity in Chori Chori Chupke Chupke and Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega as well as both films became more about heroines fighting over the man than man himself. 

Sridevi had to overshadow Salman in films you mentioned because she was older than him, much more established star and did title roles of the films. Salman was too young , raw and new then. 

Moodyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Because that is what his fans want to watch on screen. Larger than life salman, even in antim which is a re-launch vehicle of his BIL while in the original marathi movie cop had a supporting role, salman has taken a centre stage. Salman of 90s was an actor trying to make his living and Salman of now is a superstar trying to stay relevant.