Do you agree with this statement from a Bollywood actress?

priya185 thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVXLRO0saoW/?utm_medium=copy_link

I personally do not agree at all. I think it is a very outdated ideology. Some may not have a father/ brother or progressive family  and at the end of the day family can support you but it is not enough if you do not try to succeed. 

One example is Anukreethy Vas who won Miss India 2018 (her mother is a single mum). I am sure Kangu won’t agree with the statement either😆. From Hollywood the list is endless of people who succeeded without fathers (Julia Roberts, Selena Gomez etc)

What do you think? 

Edited by priya185 - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pain-in-ur-Neck thumbnail

Hmmm, definitely NOT - As outdated as "Behind every successful man is a woman"

There are many variables involved for one's success - They themselves, their family, friends, partner, teachers, mentors etc etc or a combination of all. 

Any kinda generalization seems outdated with such statements!

But then, I feel she was simply giving us the other side of "Behind every successful man is a woman"

priya185 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Pain-in-ur-Neck

Hmmm, definitely NOT - As outdated as "Behind every successful man is a woman"

There are many variables involved for one's success - They themselves, their family, friends, partner, teachers, mentors etc etc or a combination of all. 

Any kinda generalization seems outdated with such statements!

But then, I feel she was simply giving us the other side of "Behind every successful man is a woman"

yes I agree that there are many factors and people involved 

this is an alternative view but it does sound patriarchal 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: priya185

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVXLRO0saoW/?utm_medium=copy_link

I personally do not agree at all. I think it is a very outdated ideology. Some may not have a father/ brother or progressive family  and at the end of the day family can support you but it is not enough if you do not try to succeed. 

One example is Anukreethy Vas who won Miss India 2018 (her mother is a single mum). I am sure Kangu won’t agree with the statement either😆. From Hollywood the list is endless of people who succeeded without fathers (Julia Roberts, Selena Gomez etc)

What do you think? 

Julia Roberts vowed to make something of herself after her father's death, in his memory

And her brother Eric Roberts helped her to get into the industry initially...

But then she was on her own... So in a way they helped her

Selena Gomez' grandparents took care of her and raised her when her mother was away and she's close with them

Anyway as someone here said Preity is offering us the other side of "Behind every successful man is a woman"

Edited by BettyA1 - 2 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

I'm irritated by what she said, but sad to say, it's a reality for a lot of women. Because society is generally patriarchal, and I mean it globally. The messages you get are such that it's easier emotionally to conform. If you have someone on the outside -  and by that I mean someone not subject to the same absurd rules - providing emotional support, you find courage to break down barriers.

It could be a supportive mom or sister or female partner, but they're also subject to the same noise from the world around, so it becomes hard.

Deviating from topic a bit... the presence of a father is extremely important for children. Cherry picking the few who succeeded without doesn't change the fact children do better when parents are married to each other and live under the same roof.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

I'm irritated by what she said, but sad to say, it's a reality for a lot of women. Because society is otherwise patriarchal, and I mean it globally. The messages you get are such that it's easier emotionally to conform. 

It could be a supportive mom or sister or female partner, but they're also subject to the same noise from the world around, so it becomes hard.

Deviating from topic a bit... the presence of a father is extremely important for children. Cherry picking the few who succeeded without doesn't change the fact children do better when parents are married to each other and live under the same roof.

And when there is no biological father present there's usually some father figure like grandfather in a successful (by that I mean well adjusted) person's life

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

I 100% agree with Preity Zinta.

And she is not just "a Bollywood actress." She deserves to have her name mentioned.

PranPriye thumbnail

No, I do not agree. Yes there are progressive men who may be helping some women succeed but 'always' is a far stretch. 

I know someone who was raised by a single mother. She is doing well in life with no father / brother figure at all. Just her & her Mom. She's a professional/ freelancer, so no male boss or team mate either.😆

I understand the case is rare but such examples do exist. So in case there isn't a male support in your life, you can succeed ❤️

Edited by PranPriye - 2 years ago
DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Not completely true. 

But in a country like India, which is ruled by patriarchy and orthodox mindset, it becomes much more easier when the men in the family are open minded. So there are some truth to it.

Edited by etherealbeauty - 2 years ago
diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

What a horrible way to twist and misjudge a statement.🤔

Her exact words were : "Behind every successful women, there is a progressive man. It could be her father, brother or husband, but he is always progressive."

Her insistence was on the word progressive, not on the word "always". And by "progressive" men, she was talking about those men who support their wives/daughters/sisters to follow their ambitions and fulfill their dreams.⭐️👍🏼

What Preity was trying to say that we should appreciate such men. She was NOT saying that a woman cannot achieve anything on her own OR that a woman must always need a man to be successful, FOR GOD's sake

Not so many years ago, female infanticide was happening on a regular basis in our country and daughters weren't even allowed to be born. Unko education dekar successful banana to door ki baat thi.🤪

Brothers are still raised with the mentality that they have to "protect" their sisters, even if they themselves are like 10 years younger than sisters

=> reinforcing the mentality that only a boy/man can protect a girl/woman.

And let's not forget. husbands with "successful" wives are still looked down by the society in many parts of India.

Toxic patriarchy is as harmful to men, as it is to women.

Edited by diasingh2 - 2 years ago