Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SayanD thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

You gotta understand that when people call him original creator or creative genius, they say it in relation to rest of Indian movies, in whose comparison his movies are more sensible mostly. First of all, he wasn't called a creative genius before 2000s, so those films don't really count.  Secondly, I disagree that dhoom was a copy of prestige, and other then the base premise of memory loss, tragedy and tatoos, ghajini was an entirely different story than momenty, it clearly resonated with Indians way more than momento. And thats what matters coz his intended audience are Indians. I dont know if delly belly is a copy of something or not, what I know is if Aamir didn't make that film, majority of Indian masses wouldn't have experienced that sense of humor. I bet most Indians haven't watched momento, or forest gum. And he makes sure hindi speaking people get to experience it too. If dhoom can be called a copy of prestige, just coz there were these criminal twins, then every film of this decade world wide, can be traced to be a copy of some other film. 

Thirdly, even if I exclude, ghajini, dhoom, toh. Even then we are left with so many creative masterpieces, lagaan, sarfarosh, mangal panday, RDB, TZP, 3idots, Talaash, PK, Dangal, SS. Which other actor is known to work in such out of stream creative films, its Aamir. And its not like along side these, he also does hundreds of love action dramas, no. Even if you remove half of these films from his filmography, its still worth calling him a super dedicated,  hardworking and sensible creative genius. 

Edited by SayanD - 2 years ago
SayanD thumbnail

Originally posted by: TrollikaDevi

He merely starred in a lot of those movies so we can't hold that against him but yeah he's overrated.  It's like people assuming Chris Nolan's films are 'the best' because they haven't watched better ones ( I like Prestige btw) .  I think he has that image because he was the first and actually the only one among the three Khans to have done so many  offbeat films .  And he talks about politics which =smart for a lot of people.  I like him and Im with him on the intolerance thing but he's also full of it.   Satyameva Jayate was embarrassingly fake.  

Come on Satyamev Jayate wasn't fake, what does it even mean it was 'FAKE', it was a real show with real guests and real audiences,  trying to explain and expose real social issues. Sharing real practical solutions to the issues, what was fake about it?

Ktptalks thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BlueWaters20

I don't dislike Aamir Khan and am not writing this with the intention to hate on him. It just really irritates me that he is often held as the pinnacle of quality and originality in Bollywood. His movies are routinely submitted to the Oscars, which is ridiculous because there are better films being made. 

Aamir has starred in a lot of films that are blatantly plagiarised from other countries. He's starred in around 47 films (not counting special appearances), of these at least 25% are copied from other films. 

(1) Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahi - at times a scene by scene copy of my favourite film: It Happened One Night

(2) Daulat Ki Jang - ripped off from Mackenna's Gold

(3) Thugs of Hindoostan- Aamir's character was an Indian spin on Jack Sparrow 

(4)  Ghajini - ripped off Memento 

(5) Aatank Hi Aatank - copies The Godfather (seriously, the audacity!)

(6)  Mann - ripped off An Affair Yo Remember 

(7) Ghulam - copies On The Waterfront

(8) Akele Hum Akele Tum - ripps off the classic Kramer vs Kramer. 

(9) Dil Chatha Hai - partially copied from St Elmo's Fire and Reality Bites

(10) Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Ke - copied House  Boat

(11) Delhi Belly - copied from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels 

(12) Dhoom 3 - copied Prestige 

(13) Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar - copied Breaking Away

(14) Laal Singh Chadda - Forrest Gump (although at least the remake rights were purchased for this one). 

(15) Peepli Live - copied from Ace in the Hole

And these are just the ones I know about. I'm sure there are more. 

I agree with you, even my mum said the same thing to me when we were having a discussion about Aamir Khan.

SayanD thumbnail

Originally posted by: SayanD

You gotta understand that when people call him original creator or creative genius, they say it in relation to rest of Indian movies, in whose comparison his movies are more sensible mostly. First of all, he wasn't called a creative genius before 2000s, so those films don't really count.  Secondly, I disagree that dhoom was a copy of prestige, and other then the base premise of memory loss, tragedy and tatoos, ghajini was an entirely different story than momenty, it clearly resonated with Indians way more than momento. And thats what matters coz his intended audience are Indians. I dont know if delly belly is a copy of something or not, what I know is if Aamir didn't make that film, majority of Indian masses wouldn't have experienced that sense of humor. I bet most Indians haven't watched momento, or forest gum. And he makes sure hindi speaking people get to experience it too. If dhoom can be called a copy of prestige, just coz there were these criminal twins, then every film of this decade world wide, can be traced to be a copy of some other film. 

Thirdly, even if I exclude, ghajini, dhoom, toh. Even then we are left with so many creative masterpieces, lagaan, sarfarosh, mangal panday, RDB, TZP, 3idots, Talaash, PK, Dangal, SS. Which other actor is known to work in such out of stream creative films, its Aamir. And its not like along side these, he also does hundreds of love action dramas, no. Even if you remove half of these films from his filmography, its still worth calling him a super dedicated,  hardworking and sensible creative genius. 

Also, he doesn't write the scripts of the film, infact often improvises them,  but regardless, while choosing a film, he may very well be unaware that the story takes inspiration from some already existing film, so he may not choose only the one who have already done a hit. But instead choosing them coz they are not common for Indian cinema you know.

TrollikaDevi thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: SayanD

Come on Satyamev Jayate wasn't fake, what does it even mean it was 'FAKE', it was a real show with real guests and real audiences,  trying to explain and expose real social issues. Sharing real practical solutions to the issues, what was fake about it?

The reactions. The execution.  His tears.  The virtue signalling.  It was disrespectful .  The intentions were good and some of those were achieved, probably. But to use the struggles of all those people for melodrama and eyeballs is a bit much even if it does help create awareness.