#rewatchingIPKKND; Episode 04

Posted: 2 years ago

#IPKKND10YearRewatchParty #IPKKNDRewatch

Hello Hi Bye Bye! 

In memory of this day marking ten years since IPKKND aired on television, I've decided to do a rewatch of all the episodes and perhaps this time analyse the episodes from a wider eye. I was, 14 when the show aired however every single rewatch of any episodes brings appreciation to more and more intricacies of the show.

I'm linking my IPKKND index here: (A's second IPKKND index because pehli wali faltu mein delte karwa di thi back in 2014), which has the links to previous analyses posted on the IPK Redux while the show was on-air. I hope I am able to have some people accompany me on restarting this journey and reliving the magic that this show brought us. 

One of my favourite things about the show were the four promos that aired as teasers. Each and every promo had an important detail that we were about to witness in the show, and they were an absolute delight in helping us establish the general idea of what to expect from the characters. 

These are the two promos' link I could find and I thought it'd be apt to share before we start diving into the episodes. 

[YOUTUBE] promo two [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE] promo four [/YOUTUBE]

Episode I 

Edited by dramebaaz.af - 2 years ago

I'm all in for this! We started rewatching too and currently we're just close to Diwaliiiiiiiiiiii ☺️

Which also means heartbreak!

But yes, the promos (I believe) were so key in setting the show apart!

Originally posted by IPodcastKKND

I'm all in for this! We started rewatching too and currently we're just close to Diwaliiiiiiiiiiii ☺️

Yes, let's do this!

Originally posted by IPodcastKKND

ohmygod I was watching those episodes a couple of days ago and god they were so well written, well shit and well acted in! Those episodes stole my heart! 

I am so excited for you to take part in this!! 

of course, the promos were so helpful in understanding the narratives of ASR and Khushi in the beginning. Especially ASR being an a**hole to people and acting like a proper young douche was such a good insight into how rude he could be! Khushi's khuddari is so central to her relationship with Arnav and even though not a fan of the last two tracks of the show, I absolutely loved that money remained an issue which wasn't solved overnight!

Before starting preparation of 10th Anniversary I was watching IPKKND episode. That time I'm on Aarav track after that not watched. Now I also thinking re-watching from beginning.

I am providing hotstar links since due to copyright we aren't allowed to share other links but I'll try to create a google drive type situation; s1e1

Ep 1: That fateful Night

ah the first look! the first impressions and the first introductions. it's interesting how the first snapshot after introducing us to Lucknow is of the Guptas. While both the families belong from the same city, it's now after 14 years that Arnav is at the point to take what is rightfully his, that Khushi breaks past the gates of his shell. 

I love that bua ji's, the fiercely protective guardian of the two girls later onwards entrusted with their responsibility when they are sent to Delhi with her is the one introducing us to whose day it'll be. 

"arre khushi ka mawqa hai!" 

one of my favourite things about ipkknd were the possibly double meaning of dialogues. of course, it's a blissful and happy day for the daughter of the house is about to get married but today also marks the day where Arnav think he's won from his past. He is unaware that Khushi or happiness will come knocking at his door in span of few hours. Khushi is unaware that the turmoil her recklessness will pull through will lead to her, and her sister's best decisions of life.

Khushi's introductory dialogues reveal that despite being nervous she doesn't shy away from doing whatever she thinks is 'right'. I've always maintained that Khushi's moral compass is driven from the understanding of morality but whether whatever decision she makes will make the person she's doing that particular action for or from happy or sad. Right now, the shop being mortgage is going to take all of Guptas' assets and savings away. It'll also endanger her sister's happiness if the demand for dowry doesn't stop. While Khushi is right, as we know Shashi assures her afterwards, her going behind everyone to fix the situation herself isn't. These actions establish a running theme with Khushi's character. She is the definition of chaos and regardless of her intentions, things do tend to explode a lot in her face. 

Also Payal's character's demure and ever-pleasing nature is established from the get go. While Bua ji is singing for her outside, she is worried about Khushi and her father instead of enjoying. The stoic tendency to please others and care for others before observing her own happiness stands out however her ability to go along until someone else takes the first step also shows her status as the elder daughter, whose often lauded as the perfect daughter of the house taking play.

The first look of Khushi, we see her eyes. 

The eyes have a big role to play with both Arnav and Khushi, and to see the clarity and courage in Khushi's eyes from the first instance is just a beautiful directorial decision. 

I also love Khushi's face reveal just as she is justifying her actions and revealing the same to Devi Ma. This is Devi Mayyian's child. Her absolute favourite and the closet confidant before Payal for Khushi! Sanaya looked absolutely ethereal in the first episode. The lengha is beautiful, the subdued green with pink with gota all over suits Khushi. Her switching out her khussas for tennis shoes few seconds earlier showing the unconventionality she doesn't shy away from. My only qualm is the amount of bronzer they put on Sanaya's face. (cough cough *colorism*) 

Again with Khushi's moral compass, she wouldn't have stolen the milk man bike along with milk crates on the side if she actually took decisions which she thought through. Milk symbolises fertility and abundance blessed from gods. Khushi running away with stolen milk is a good use of metaphors in direction with Khushi being the force of change for everyone around her. Today in particular with Payal and Arnav's life. Also, 20,000 rs is symbolise the how the universe is shifting for the Guptas at least in the beginning. 20 being the universal number of harmony, balance and blessings and adding 0s to it which symbolise a divine journey. Three zeros simplify the divine journey Khushi has set out on and taken others along with her. The journey starting with loss will one day end with the gains Guptas didn't ever dream about. These little details were what pulled me into the script the first time around and seeing it repeat reinforces for me at least that I am glad to have been on this journey of Khushi and Arnav's from day one. (I started watching around the teej episodes).

Shashi's red kurta, I think at one point Shyam and NK both wore this during A & K's marriage. The recycling of wardrobes. 🥱

Shashi and Garima's conversation reveal the compliance that comes with being a woman in society and is understood by perhaps Garima and Bua ji. Shashi on the other hand might give into the norms, is also someone who stands against the injustices practiced in name of tradition and I love him for it! I really wish we had seen him recover before the show ended. A conversation between him and Arnav would've been heartwarming to witness since they both seem to align on their moral perspective of the world to an extent. 

I know they try to tell us Khushi is around early adult years like 18, I really thought she passed as someone who was 21 and 22 through mannerism and with the bday tracks, I'm using that age as cannon. 

We finally have the entry of our rakhshas urf rajkummar

I love the shot of Khushi's motorcycle leaving the gates and stopping at the signal for the chopper to fly over and her being the only one to look up in the shot. 

ImageImage

ImageImage

Ah ASR, Arnav Singh Raizada. He oozes arrogance, attitude, entitlement, purpose, and luxury. This is not an ordinary man and makes sure everyone around him remembers that. Of courses betiya didn't care about any. of it and that wasn't okay, at all!

With the first pap question we already know the this man has an established reputation of being hard to reach, of being mysterious, and making calculated decisions which leave others stumped in light of his age and experience. The second and third follow up are questions are just as enthralling. This is one of the most eligible bachelors and not many know much about his personal life. His mysteriously magnetic persona also begs answers to know why they're exceptions in him making a presence at events he is hosting in smaller cities of the country. All these questions and he answers nothing. Just calmly walks past. But we get hints. There's a past. A haunting one with a broken marriage, death, and a mother. 

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

"Hum usoolon ke bare pakke hain!" 

"Usooloon se somjhota nahi karte!"

ah chacha ji! where else do we go on to hear these lines from? Dadi ji. How ironic that a woman and her son taking pride in their ability to stick to rules, morals, traditions, are the ones at mercy of this man whose morals are deemed questionable throughout, who doesn't advertise morality, nor preach verse of tradition. These are also the people who wronged him and his sister as a kid. The Maliks left Arnav and Anjali at a place where they couldn't use their name without feeling disgraced. And now here, fourteen years later Arnav stands on the same grounds he was was told to leave from. I love the 630 above Arnav. The number signifying success. Apt! The white dove signifying the turmoil ending to some degree with the Arnav Malik rightfully taking what was his, a reign of peace. 

In contrast Payal and Khushi once again having the conversation about what they're doing is right or not brings us to a contrast in decision making abilities. Arnav's move was calculated. He went over Chachaji's head to buy from the man the havali was mortgaged to. Khushi's move is driven through impulse of protecting her sister's happiness. 

Khushi's words abut dil, zameer, paisa are hilarious because the man she loathes for the same reason is the one she is unable to hate. Oh how the tables turn! 

I love Anjali's introduction. The first words are Arnav. The first interaction in the flashback of her's is with Arnav. The siblings are each others' first friends, first confidants, first people. Anjali wearing very thick visible sindoor after we just saw an ambiguous flash back of hers at her wedding is such a perfect example of Raizada's not being much different than the Maliks in their quest to bury the past and refuse to answer questions. Anjali wearing yellow in a see of red is such a perfect repression of what she means to Arnav. Yellow symbolises happiness, sunshine, brightness. Khushi later showing up in Green is also such a beautiful thing as green symbolises rebirth, revitalisation, and reincarnation of life. The two women are everything for this man. 

We find out Arnav wanting to knock down Sheesh Mahal. Whether he does so or not, we don't find out. 

(The ipk Redux was amazing at plot analyses and predicting tracks through easter eggs in the show. The complete truth of Garima, Arnav's dad, Khushi's parents, Chachaji, Dadi ji, and Shyam being tied to their past was changed according to those theories and ofc they are theories not canon. but these narrative shifts annoyed me a lot which is why I think IPK would've been good as a finite series. It wouldn't have to adjust its tracks in accordance to trps. Regardless of this theories being right or wrong, we can already observe with the omission of Chacha ji that there were changes made. Ah well.)

I loved that poet dude. The insinuation of taking to rights and two lefts, and Khushi being lost in the labyrinth that was Sheesh mahal is apt in terms of how Khushi found her life tangled with Arnav's past later onwards. I love how Khushi always ended up unintentionally walking towards Arnav since this day onwards. We see that when she ends up at Shantivan with saris. We see that when she ends up in front of him after Shyam the first time around. 

and now for that fateful moment. The moment planned by the Gods. the moment where Khushi finds herself scared, her phone battery gone, she has no one and in a sea of people her eyes land at that one person. Interesting how she pulls up her dupatta just as that man stares her. Arnav's eyes when looking at Khushi find a way to admire her or in this case, he was straight up being disrespectful towards this strange girl. When she turns around to leave, she slips on the dupatta his staff had pinned on her and god, this man was taken aback by her. The first meeting derived anger from Arnav but also it pushed something he didn't hope to have to that extent. There is a pull between the two. He looks at her eyes, observes her trembling lips, and her hand, her hand clutches onto his collar which becomes a theme. The dupatta and Arnav's collar are two things that become so important in their ability to communicate their comfort to each other. 

And so it begins. The love story. The kahani of nafrat, of refusing to be indifferent but trying so so hard to be. 

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Episode 02

Edited by dramebaaz.af - 2 years ago
Originally posted by dramebaaz.af

I am providing hotstar links since due to copyright we aren't allowed to share other links but I'll try to create a google drive type situation; s1e1

ah the first look! the first impressions and the first introductions. it's interesting how the first snapshot after introducing us to Lucknow is of the Guptas. While both the families belong from the same city, it's now after 14 years that Arnav is at the point to take what is rightfully his, that Khushi breaks past the gates of his shell. 

I love that bua ji's, the fiercely protective guardian of the two girls later onwards entrusted with their responsibility when they are sent to Delhi with her is the one introducing us to whose day it'll be. 

one of my favourite things about ipkknd were the possibly double meaning of dialogues. of course, it's a blissful and happy day for the daughter of the house is about to get married but today also marks the day where Arnav think he's won from his past. He is unaware that Khushi or happiness will come knocking at his door in span of few hours. Khushi is unaware that the turmoil her recklessness will pull through will lead to her, and her sister's best decisions of life.

Khushi's introductory dialogues reveal that despite being nervous she doesn't shy away from doing whatever she thinks is 'right'. I've always maintained that Khushi's moral compass is driven from the understanding of morality but whether whatever decision she makes will make the person she's doing that particular action for or from happy or sad. Right now, the shop being mortgage is going to take all of Guptas' assets and savings away. It'll also endanger her sister's happiness if the demand for dowry doesn't stop. While Khushi is right, as we know Shashi assures her afterwards, her going behind everyone to fix the situation herself isn't. These actions establish a running theme with Khushi's character. She is the definition of chaos and regardless of her intentions, things do tend to explode a lot in her face. 

Also Payal's character's demure and ever-pleasing nature is established from the get go. While Bua ji is singing for her outside, she is worried about Khushi and her father instead of enjoying. The stoic tendency to please others and care for others before observing her own happiness stands out however her ability to go along until someone else takes the first step also shows her status as the elder daughter, whose often lauded as the perfect daughter of the house taking play.

The eyes have a big role to play with both Arnav and Khushi, and to see the clarity and courage in Khushi's eyes from the first instance is just a beautiful directorial decision. 

I also love Khushi's face reveal just as she is justifying her actions and revealing the same to Devi Ma. This is Devi Mayyian's child. Her absolute favourite and the closet confidant before Payal for Khushi! Sanaya looked absolutely ethereal in the first episode. The lengha is beautiful, the subdued green with pink with gota all over suits Khushi. Her switching out her khussas for tennis shoes few seconds earlier showing the unconventionality she doesn't shy away from. My only qualm is the amount of bronzer they put on Sanaya's face. (cough cough *colorism*) 

Again with Khushi's moral compass, she wouldn't have stolen the milk man bike along with milk crates on the side if she actually took decisions which she thought through. Milk symbolises fertility and abundance blessed from gods. Khushi running away with stolen milk is a good use of metaphors in direction with Khushi being the force of change for everyone around her. Today in particular with Payal and Arnav's life. Also, 20,000 rs is symbolise the how the universe is shifting for the Guptas at least in the beginning. 20 being the universal number of harmony, balance and blessings and adding 0s to it which symbolise a divine journey. Three zeros simplify the divine journey Khushi has set out on and taken others along with her. The journey starting with loss will one day end with the gains Guptas didn't ever dream about. These little details were what pulled me into the script the first time around and seeing it repeat reinforces for me at least that I am glad to have been on this journey of Khushi and Arnav's from day one. (I started watching around the teej episodes).

Shashi's red kurta, I think at one point Shyam and NK both wore this during A & K's marriage. The recycling of wardrobes. 🥱

Shashi and Garima's conversation reveal the compliance that comes with being a woman in society and is understood by perhaps Garima and Bua ji. Shashi on the other hand might give into the norms, is also someone who stands against the injustices practiced in name of tradition and I love him for it! I really wish we had seen him recover before the show ended. A conversation between him and Arnav would've been heartwarming to witness since they both seem to align on their moral perspective of the world to an extent. 

I know they try to tell us Khushi is around early adult years like 18, I really thought she passed as someone who was 21 and 22 through mannerism and with the bday tracks, I'm using that age as cannon. 

I love the shot of Khushi's motorcycle leaving the gates and stopping at the signal for the chopper to fly over and her being the only one to look up in the shot. 

ImageImage

ImageImage

Ah ASR, Arnav Singh Raizada. He oozes arrogance, attitude, entitlement, purpose, and luxury. This is not an ordinary man and makes sure everyone around him remembers that. Of courses betiya didn't care about any. of it and that wasn't okay, at all!

With the first pap question we already know the this man has an established reputation of being hard to reach, of being mysterious, and making calculated decisions which leave others stumped in light of his age and experience. The second and third follow up are questions are just as enthralling. This is one of the most eligible bachelors and not many know much about his personal life. His mysteriously magnetic persona also begs answers to know why they're exceptions in him making a presence at events he is hosting in smaller cities of the country. All these questions and he answers nothing. Just calmly walks past. But we get hints. There's a past. A haunting one with a broken marriage, death, and a mother. 

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ah chacha ji! where else do we go on to hear these lines from? Dadi ji. How ironic that a woman and her son taking pride in their ability to stick to rules, morals, traditions, are the ones at mercy of this man whose morals are deemed questionable throughout, who doesn't advertise morality, nor preach verse of tradition. These are also the people who wronged him and his sister as a kid. The Maliks left Arnav and Anjali at a place where they couldn't use their name without feeling disgraced. And now here, fourteen years later Arnav stands on the same grounds he was was told to leave from. I love the 630 above Arnav. The number signifying success. Apt! The white dove signifying the turmoil ending to some degree with the Arnav Malik rightfully taking what was his, a reign of peace. 

In contrast Payal and Khushi once again having the conversation about what they're doing is right or not brings us to a contrast in decision making abilities. Arnav's move was calculated. He went over Chachaji's head to buy from the man the havali was mortgaged to. Khushi's move is driven through impulse of protecting her sister's happiness. 

Khushi's words abut dil, zameer, paisa are hilarious because the man she loathes for the same reason is the one she is unable to hate. Oh how the tables turn! 

I love Anjali's introduction. The first words are Arnav. The first interaction in the flashback of her's is with Arnav. The siblings are each others' first friends, first confidants, first people. Anjali wearing very thick visible sindoor after we just saw an ambiguous flash back of hers at her wedding is such a perfect example of Raizada's not being much different than the Maliks in their quest to bury the past and refuse to answer questions. Anjali wearing yellow in a see of red is such a perfect repression of what she means to Arnav. Yellow symbolises happiness, sunshine, brightness. Khushi later showing up in Green is also such a beautiful thing as green symbolises rebirth, revitalisation, and reincarnation of life. The two women are everything for this man. 

We find out Arnav wanting to knock down Sheesh Mahal. Whether he does so or not, we don't find out. 

(The ipk Redux was amazing at plot analyses and predicting tracks through easter eggs in the show. The complete truth of Garima, Arnav's dad, Khushi's parents, Chachaji, Dadi ji, and Shyam being tied to their past was changed according to those theories and ofc they are theories not canon. but these narrative shifts annoyed me a lot which is why I think IPK would've been good as a finite series. It wouldn't have to adjust its tracks in accordance to trps. Regardless of this theories being right or wrong, we can already observe with the omission of Chacha ji that there were changes made. Ah well.)

I loved that poet dude. The insinuation of taking to rights and two lefts, and Khushi being lost in the labyrinth that was Sheesh mahal is apt in terms of how Khushi found her life tangled with Arnav's past later onwards. I love how Khushi always ended up unintentionally walking towards Arnav since this day onwards. We see that when she ends up at Shantivan with saris. We see that when she ends up in front of him after Shyam the first time around. 

and now for that fateful moment. The moment planned by the Gods. the moment where Khushi finds herself scared, her phone battery gone, she has no one and in a sea of people her eyes land at that one person. Interesting how she pulls up her dupatta just as that man stares her. Arnav's eyes when looking at Khushi find a way to admire her or in this case, he was straight up being disrespectful towards this strange girl. When she turns around to leave, she slips on the dupatta his staff had pinned on her and god, this man was taken aback by her. The first meeting derived anger from Arnav but also it pushed something he didn't hope to have to that extent. There is a pull between the two. He looks at her eyes, observes her trembling lips, and her hand, her hand clutches onto his collar which becomes a theme. The dupatta and Arnav's collar are two things that become so important in their ability to communicate their comfort to each other. 

And so it begins. The love story. The kahani of nafrat, of refusing to be indifferent but trying so so hard to be. 

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Episode 2

Production side : I absolutely love how they did not give Khushi the more extravagant clothes in any of Payal's wedding functions barring maybe the mehndi and Payash wedding ones for obvious reasons. That's my biggest pet peeve; Lizzie being the more adorned one than Jane.

Another pet peeve of mine is overtly choreographed Sangeet functions when in reality the function is about relatives celebrating matrimony through folk music. Absolutely love that bit of realism.

I did talk about the green dress yesterday in S's thread.  I love how she's the only one wearing green in a swath of red. Both colours represent fertility but green is also the colour of rejuvenation. She brings life in contrast to his destructive anger. Something like Lasya to Tandav, if you know about it. Wish the actual fashion show was more fashionable.

I absolutely love how he has his eyes closed and is as still as a ocean before the storm. His eyes only open when she's actually there.

Originally posted by Bluegrass

Production side : I absolutely love how they did not give Khushi the more extravagant clothes in any of Payal's wedding functions barring maybe the mehndi and Payash wedding ones for obvious reasons. That's my biggest pet peeve; Lizzie being the more adorned one than Jane.

Another pet peeve of mine is overtly choreographed Sangeet functions when in reality the function is about relatives celebrating matrimony through folk music. Absolutely love that bit of realism.

I did talk about the green dress yesterday in S's thread.  I love how she's the only one wearing green in a swath of red. Both colours represent fertility but green is also the colour of rejuvenation. She brings life in contrast to his destructive anger. Something like Lasya to Tandav, if you know about it. Wish the actual fashion show was more fashionable.

I absolutely love how he has his eyes closed and is as still as a ocean before the storm. His eyes only open when she's actually there.

oh yes, I think the production aspect of the show is pretty decent and blends with the aesthetics of the characters very well at least until the kidnapping track. I loved her teri-meri sari so much! I love the sangeet episodes both time around. They were very homely and familial and not too much! the competition with Payal and Akash and then the family's written soundtrack on Arnav and Khushi's! Just absolutely beautiful! 

oh gosh yes! It's remarkable and just beautiful direction that in a sea of people her eyes land on his;, and he stands up for her regardless of the reason. The way they both provoked a reaction from one another laid the foundation for their relationship!

Originally posted by dramebaaz.af

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Episode 2

Great take👏

Nice flow of events or pictorial view of this episode.No doubt the cinematography was awesome in IPK. 

Some mistakes right from the beginning but it was a great start.

The symbolism and especially the numerology was my forte in Blast from the past threads, I was the only one who did that so far in IPK analysis...as I learned from my father. I didn't even use it in my #IPKKNDRewind threads as it is a special thing I shared with my blaster friends...Yes, Redus had many theories of many things in IPK when it was on the air. Many tracks were changed later on.

Nice thoughts on the wedding, simple and the way this function is being conducted in many homes and traditional way without too much extravaganza. Fakeness was not involved, a true Lucknow way.

Her wedding dress later has the same combination of green and red dupatta

Edited by Mysticaldivine - 2 years ago