Bada story hai lekin bahut touching hai!!

Leo thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Captivity, revenge and death

As a prisoner in Ghor, Prithviraj was brought in chains before Muhammad. He haughtily looked Ghori straight into the eye. Ghori ordered him to lower his eyes, whereupon a defiant Prithviraj scornfully reminded him of how he had treated Ghori when the latter was a prisoner. He declared that the eyelids of a Rajput are lowered only in death. On hearing this, Ghori flew into a rage and ordered that Prithviraj's eyes be burnt with red hot iron rods. This heinous deed was committed. The blind Prithviraj was then regularly brought to the presence of the barbaric warlord to be taunted by Ghori and his courtiers.

Prithviraj's former courtier Chand Bardai, who was later to compose the Prithviraj Raso, a ballad-biography of Pritiviraj, came to Ghor to be near Prithviraj in his misery. Chand Bardai came in disguise and secured himself a place in Muhammad's court by purveying his skills as a composer of paens. On the one hand, he earned Muhammad's regard; on the other, he took every opportunity to meet with Prithviraj and urge him to avenge Ghori's betrayal and daily insults.

Killing of Muhammad Ghori: The two got an opportunity when Ghori announced an archery competition. Chand Bardai told Ghori that Prithviraj was so skilled an archer, that he could take aim based only on sound, and did not even need to look at his target. Ghori disdained to believe this; the courtiers guffawed and taunted Chand Bardai, asking how a blind man could possibly shoot arrows. In the spirit of their usual barbaric mockery, they brought the blind and hapless Prithviraj out to the field. Pressing a bow and arrows into his hand, they taunted him to take aim.

Chand Bardai told Ghori that this taunting would avail nothing, for Prithviraj would never do as some sundry courtiers bade him do. He said that Prithviraj, as an anointed king, would not accept orders from anyone other than another king. His ego thus massaged, and in the spirit of the occasion, Muhammad Ghori agreed to personally give Prithviraj the order to shoot.Some iron plates were hung and Prithiviraj was asked to aim at them.A man was to strike the plate with a hammer and Prithviraj was supposed to hit that plate.

Thus, Chand Bardai provided Prithviraj with an aural indication of where Ghori was seated. He gave Prithviraj one further indication of the same, by composing a couplet on the spot and reciting the same in Prithviraj's hearing. The couplet, composed in a language understood only by Prithviraj went thus:

"Char bans, chaubis gaj, angul ashta praman,
Ta upar sultan hai, Chuke mat Chauhan."

(Four measures ahead of you and twenty four yards away as measured with eight finger measurement, is seated the Sultan. Do not miss him now, Chauhan).

Ghori then ordered Prithviraj to shoot. Prithviraj thus came to know the location of Ghori and started shooting at the plates.When he hit the target courtiers said "vah" "vah" and Ghori said "Shabash", recognising Ghori's voice and turning in the direction from where he heard Ghori speak, Prithviraj took aim based only on the voice and on Chand Bardai's couplet, he sent an arrow racing to Ghori's throat. Ghori was thus stuck dead by Prithviraj.

Naturally, after this deed, Prithviraj and Chandbardai stabbed each other, to avoid further humiliation at the hands of courtiers of Ghori. But the brave Rajput had avenged the betrayals and humiliations suffered by him. Thus ended the story of the brave and chivalrous Prithviraj Chauhan, the last Hindu ruler of Delhi.

I got this in wikipedia......
Hey guys!!.... Visit the Rajat Tokas article made by me!! Here's da link!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajat_Tokas

Edited by rajatlover - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

prithvi lover thumbnail
whoa!.......tht sure is big but very interesting!..............cool article 2!.........very gud job shruthi!......very gud job! 👏
kritical_kritix thumbnail
thanx 4 sharing it with us shruthi 😃
Even I saw it.n e ways thx for the info rajatlover ooops Shruti . 😊
tammo thumbnail
superb,i wish if i cud meet u any how and just once c ur face,coz through ur article i hv seen wat is there in ur heart,its really mind blowing,i truly truly luv it & aftr dat u...u hv done a gr8 job shruthi.i really appreciate ur work...i just feel like giving u a jadu ki jhappi,sorry if u feel bad if i do so
from-tammo,urf tamana..
Leo thumbnail

Originally posted by: tammo

superb,i wish if i cud meet u any how and just once c ur face,coz through ur article i hv seen wat is there in ur heart,its really mind blowing,i truly truly luv it & aftr dat u...u hv done a gr8 job shruthi.i really appreciate ur work...i just feel like giving u a jadu ki jhappi,sorry if u feel bad if i do so
from-tammo,urf tamana..

Thx for ur appreciation Tamana.....I would really like to receive a Jaduu ki Jhappi from u if I stayed in India 😊...I stay in UAE....and most probably I will be coming to India after my 10 or 12....lets meet that time...if God wishes!!!! And now I am in 8th....like Rajat!!😉

RTAY thumbnail
thanx a tonnne sweetheart such big and fantabulous article ...thanku shruti 😳
Leo thumbnail

Originally posted by: RTAY

thanx a tonnne sweetheart such big and fantabulous article ...thanku shruti 😳

Don't mention it pal!😊

avtab thumbnail
thanks a lot 4 the info. the article is cool. thanks again 4 posting it here 👏 👏 👏
anuradhasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
rajatlover u really posted very good article!!!
i appriciate ur work!! 👏 👏
i really feel sad for prithviraj chauhan for his sad ending 😭   😭 ......
he was a true hero!!!!