Shakuntala & Gulabo: Most watched hindi movie worldwide on Amazon

Justice4Samosa thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Amazon Prime revealed a little bit of it's numbers for 2020. Shakuntala Devi & Gulabo Sitabo were the most watched movie on Amazon Prime in India and the most watched hindi movie across the world on Amazon Prime.

The streamer hit the headlines a couple of months into lockdown when it picked up the Hindi comedy Gulabo Sitabo starring Amitabh Bachchan and Ayushmann Khurrana as part of a package of seven features it unveiled in one swoop of eye-catching content. That deal was followed later in the year by a further slate of theatrical titles, including Coolie No. 1 starring Varun Dhawan and Sara Ali Khan, which released on Christmas Day. In total, it debuted 19 films directly onto the service during the pandemic.

β€œAll these titles did strong numbers,” adds Gandhi. β€œGulabo Sitabo and Shakuntala Devi [the biography of the titular math wiz starring Vidya Balan] quickly became the most watched movies on the service in India, and our most watched Hindi movies around the world.”

Edited by MommaDarling - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

GumGum thumbnail

Release hi toh 3 kiye the.

Shakuntala Devi was indeed a very lovely little film https://i.ibb.co/8g2kfxD/nods.gif

Edited by Koviljika34 - 3 years ago
mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

I liked both the movies.

Gulabo Sitabo is highly underrated and Shakuntala Devi is a film which successfully shows the human side of a prodigy. 

Vidya Balan was superb in Shakuntala Devi and AB sr. nailed his role in Gulabo Sitabo, which is a very different and experimental film, but very authentic.

Ennuyi thumbnail

I liked Shakuntala Devi, very endearing film. 

GumGum thumbnail

πŸ˜† Just realized Coolie #1 claimed their movie was most watched. It didn't even cross Prime's own most viewed Hindi film.

Edited by GumGum - 3 years ago
Justice4Samosa thumbnail

Originally posted by: GumGum

Release hi toh 3 kiye the.

I think they released around 15+ titles across all lamguages out of which these two were the most watched in India. And I think they also take into account other films that came to prime after theatrical release too. But yeah worldwide they released i think 4, including Durgamati.

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: GumGum

πŸ˜† Just realized Coolie #1 claimed their movie was most watched. It didn't even cross Prime's own most viewed film.

They're using the same tactics they use to manipulate the box office numbers by paying off samosa critics and alleged box office experts. They openly lie and hype the ones that pay them and pull down the ones that don't.

But unfortunately for them, OTT doesn't work that way.

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Very well deserved. I liked the movie and Vidya was as usual amazing in this role! 

GumGum thumbnail

Originally posted by: MommaDarling

I think they released around 15+ titles across all lamguages out of which these two were the most watched in India. And I think they also take into account other films that came to prime after theatrical release too. But yeah worldwide they released i think 4, including Durgamati.

Didn't the article say it was the most watched HINDI film?