Thatgirl16 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 years ago

So guys it's really off Bollywood but really important. So I'm setting up a reading corner for myself hence looking to collect books that are going to stay. I'm a mystery, partition and politics, and human stories on war reader. Please suggest me books on the same.

P.S. I'm planning to start reading on the world history. I've no idea where to start from. Do suggest on that too.

Mods please bandh mat kariyega topic ko🙏

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I recently reread “Climbing the mango trees” by Madhur Jaffrey, it’s a  memoir of her childhood in India.

Wow the woman can write, better than many professionals, I feel she missed her true calling...

Anyway, she was born in 1933 Delhi and talks about her childhood against the backdrop of India’s independence struggle, WW II, partition, Mahatma’s assassination and of course food and recipes.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Try Sujata Massey's Perveen Mistry series.

nema123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Try Sujata Massey's Perveen Mistry series.

Love this one!! 

nema123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Education - by Tara  Westover

The Tenth Muse - Catherine Chung

A Man Called OVE

Edited by nema123 - 3 years ago
Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

I don't do mystery but sometimes I will pick a author from a random country or pick a region and read books from there. 

The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri was a book that stayed with me for a long time. Human stories based around the Naxalite rebellion in Kolkata around 60s. 

Lately I have been reading a lot of books set in Africa. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a yellow sun deals with the Biafran war in Nigeria and how the characters' lives are devastated by it. 

Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Bookmarked. 

The only series of Books I have read in my life is Harry Potter Books.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swetha-Sai

Bookmarked. 

The only series of Books I have read in my life is Harry Potter Books.

What genre do you want to start with?

Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

What genre do you want to start with?

I live a busy life.. somehow managing office work, household and my son's studies. 

So, Can you please suggest some light reading books? 😊

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swetha-Sai

I live a busy life.. somehow managing office work, household and my son's studies. 

So, Can you please suggest some light reading books? 😊

I'd start with romcoms. But be very picky. Indian romance litt can be darned awful in quality. Go for Anuja Chauhan. There are a couple of others who write along the same vein.

If you want mysteries, the Perveen Mistry series is awesome. 

Mytho genre is very popular, but most are utter crap. Amish's Shiva/Ram series and Aryavrata Chronicles for MBh are what I would suggest.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago