My thoughts on Indian Idol Season 12

SimSimmer thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

Hi guys. I'm Simran.

I really love singing reality shows. Watching Taare Zameen Par as well.  👏🏼

I find this season of Indian Idol disappointing. There were so many good singers who auditioned this year. They didn't make it to the top 15. 

I was shocked that Yuvraj and Dhruv weren't selected. Hell even Jeli was amazing. Then there are the likes of Vaishnav, Shanmukhpriya, Pawandeep and Anjali who were either winners or runners up in other competitions that aired less then 7 years ago. 😒

So much for raw talent. Now we have to hear all their performances being repeated again. For example Anjali sang Dil Ki Tapish for her wildcard entry Lil Champs. Don't even get me started with Shanmukhpriya. 

Have you noticed also that the judges go all crazy when a westernized song is performed but has no idea of how to appreciate and judge authentic indian music? 🤦🏽‍♀️

This is just my opinion on this season so far. What is yours? 🙂

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Chemcart_MJ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Hi dear, nice to meet you too.

Yuvraj & Jeli deserved the placement as opposed to Nihal, Shanmukh priya, vaishnav, & those who are basically former contestants of past singing reality shows. Anushka is basically an easy target to eliminate IMO & her performance sparked nervousness. 

One thing is they need new judges who are neutral in decision-making such as Music directors & lyricists. Some of the contestants need to have a better grip on their words. Neha Kakkar's advices are practically useless IMO. 

Edited by Meena_J - 3 years ago
Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

While I quite liked Yuvraj, I don’t see him as a replacement for anyone on the show. But instead like they created an extra spot for Nihal, they could’ve done so for Yuvraj as well.

Except for SMP, Nihal and Sawai, I think the others deserved to get to the top 15. I’m disappointed that Jeli didn’t make it. I quite liked him in season 9. But I also know he would’nt have made it beyond top 7-8.

I’m disappointed with the judges, more than the contestants. The judges only appreciate weaternized songs and singers. And this years season has only 2 such singers - SMP and Ashish. The others are only good when they sing certain kind of songs. As a judge they should appreciate when a singer sings well, irrespective of the genre.

Another thing that’s annoyed me is that they’re put Pawandeep and SMP on a pedestal. In their eyes they can do no wrong. It’s not fair to the others. 

From the time the galas started you could tell who will be the top 5, based on judges comments. 
Lastly, I don’t like when they don’t eliminate someone. It’s obvious they wanted to save one of their favourites

bollyqueen0 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Hi Simran 😊

Yeah, most of these singing reality shows have just become recycled contestants of other reality shows 

The biggest disappointments I have so far this season:

Inconsistency of theme - so half the contestants get one theme and other half gets a different theme. 

Hyping up SMP - I'm not a musician but I have yet to see a performance I like by her. I feel like she absolutely ruins most songs

The contestants intros make no sense - they are not funny/interesting AT ALL 

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I agree with the above two comments. Most of the contestants this season are probably the most talented I have ever seen. But the judges and organizers/makers/creatives disappoint me. I usually just watch the performance and fast forward all the unnecessary stuff.

The last season of Indian Idol I watched this diligently was season 5 almost 6-7 years ago. If SMP would have attempted her antics and yodeling in front of those judges (Salim Merchant, Anu Malik, Sunidhi Chauhan) at that time, she wouldn't have made it past her audition. I remember a contestant tried something similar (putting his twist into an old Kishore Kumar or RD Burman song), and he got a sound scolding. Those judges were strict and no-nonsense, all about the music. They gave the most detailed and concise feedback, making sure the contestants got each note and every expression right. They also appreciated the good performances wholeheartedly but no jumping on tables and all this "mausam badal diya" nonsense.

There was such hype amongst the judges for the contestants during both seasons of Indian Idol Junior, but that is understandable. They were kids and needed a different kind of encouragement. I didn't know they went gaga over adult (or young adult) contestants as well. 

And don't even get me started on whoever decides the themes of the episodes. Either they should keep the same theme on both days of the weekend, or they should have all the contestants sing on both days if the themes are different. And all contestants should sing the same number of songs. They need to keep changing duet pairs too. It isn't that hard to keep a fair competition. 🤦‍♀️ 

And if the problem is lack of time then they should stop with the cringey couple romance and weird antics, and just stick to the singing. I know they do all this for TRP but does that actually work? Which audience actually likes this stuff?

Question: Who assigns the songs to the participants? The "creatives?" My dad said that years ago (on Meri Awaz Suno and Sa Re Ga Ma in the 90s), the judges assigned the songs. But it doesn't look like that happens today. 

Edited by Aditii - 3 years ago
Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Hey girl and ur points are absolutely bang on. We've been singing the same too!

Its become full on showbaazi and no substance. There have been some good singers in the past seasons but only the the ones with gimmicks and alaaps get praised.

And theres such a difference in the way they judge Indian and Western. Only Himesh understands both but he gets outvoted.

Yuvraaj definitely deserved a spot for sure.