Dia Mirza : " lost jobs, because I am fair and too good looking"

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 3 years ago

I think any stereotype and pre conceived notions are not good. The way I look has been a disadvantage for me in my acting profession many a times. I have lost a job and not been cast in a part because I look too good. It is a strange disadvantage,” she shares.

The 38-year-old, who made her film debut with Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein (2001) after winning the Miss Asia Pacific title in 2000, further says, β€œI may be sounding very ungrateful. But because of the colour of my skin I am at a disadvantage. As much as I know and am acutely aware of the fact that darker complexioned women have it hard as well. But there is a certain type of cinema I love. I love the thinking cinema but the stereotypes attached to the thinking cinema and women who play those parts are so limiting. But finally things are looking up so I am not complaining.”

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

GumGum thumbnail

Yeah, Bhumi/Taapsee are not some great actors, but while casting, big directors from the woman centric film genre would cast them over Kriti/Dia or if she has thoda star power they'd blackface her.

Edited by GumGum - 3 years ago
diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I get her point but her example is BAD. She wasn't that good of an actress like Sridevi or Madhubala, neither she had that off-screen charm about her like Aishwarya.

She was always preferred in barbie type roles, and even in those roles she didn't click much tbh.πŸ˜†

Although, Conventionally good looking girls also have it difficult, because....

-- they're NOT taken seriously for their talent.

-- they're generally assumed to be dumb/bimbos i.e, beauty with no brains.

-- they're often lied to by my men around them who just want to date/sleep with these women.

-- they're mostly hated by other women around because of the "jealousy" factor.

-- they're horribly objectified by society (men & women both).

MOTHERHOOD thumbnail

You are a terrible actress.

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

This is a lame excuse  since there are many actresses who have gotten roles only cos of their fair skin

Edited by 2RsFan - 3 years ago
Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Fair , yes..Good looking and that 'too' ?? Well before throwing an insult , want to verify that she really farted so (there is no source given)..

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Agent_Vinod

Fair , yes..Good looking and that 'too' ?? Well before throwing an insult , want to verify that she really farted so (there is no source given)..

Fk that^ , just learnt something..

colossial2015 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

This is a lame excuse  since there are many actresses who have gotten roles only cos of their fair skin

Jacqueline Fernandez and Katrina Kaif are the best examples of fair skin getting movies.

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: colossial2015

Jacqueline Fernandez and Katrina Kaif are the best examples of fair skin getting movies.

Kapoor sisters too although it’s combined with nepotism

DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Lame excuse. This sounds like 'white lives matter' bs. It takes away the importance of black lives matter movement.