Indian Comics or Graphic Novels - Lost Legacy or Revamped Efforts?

bhupindrverma thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Comics have been one of the booming industries once and lately, they are evolved into graphic novels. As a 90s kids, comics was one of my interests that died as I grew as it was replaced by tv shows and movies. In 2018, I was going through the latest happenings in the comic world and found that more than a dozen established comic publishers shut down their businesses and only a few handfuls are rigid enough to keep going the business; just for the love, they receive from their fan base. They were raj comics, Amar Chitra Katha, and diamond comics. As I started collecting them again especially raj comics, I found that there are many publications that have come since 2012 and some have already gone even after providing international standards in their content. 

Where comic publication houses such as holy cow entertainment and campfire have become a front runner; some other publications such as Bullseye press, Fiction comics, and Yali dream creations are trying to reach enough audience to make this profitable business. 

The worrying point is that India still has many comic readers who love DC, marvel, and Image comics; but they see Indian comics as low-grade materials. In the past 2 years, I have read so many good stories have seen international standards of illustration by new and old artists but they still haven't gained enough limelight as much as they deserved. 

One of the iconic artists of India, Dheeraj Verma recently got appreciated by Jim Lee in DC fandom. Dheeraj Verma is the creator of the Bheriya character in Raj comics and working for various international comics nowadays. 

Yali Dream creations graphic novel, Rakshak was so good that it was recently adapted for a movie that will start filming next year. The movie will be produced and directed by Sanjay Gupta, director of famous movies such as Shootout at Lokhandwala and Kaabil. 

Raj comics is also is talk of a movie Nagaraj that will be directed and produced by Karan Johar. 

TVF CEO Arunabh Kumar has also started his comic book publication house, Indusverse this year. 

This overwhelming for a comic lover that things are looking pretty good at this time but it is a long road ahead to reach a larger audience.  Japan has no age barrier for its manga but in India, many still believe that comics and graphic novels are just for kids. 

One of the spaces that I thought is missing in the comic space was the comic review and rating website. It is a necessity for a customer as they look for reviews before buying a product. Thus, I have created a website comicscoop.com as a love for comics. I want people out there who love reading good stories to check my website and give Indian comics a chance regardless if you have read comics or graphic novels before or not.