Is Kalki Koechlin good actress or she only got in due to gora complex?

InspectorShirke thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Everyone knows that BW got a huge gora and colonial mindset where almost all the shows are in English and the big dogs of BW look down on you if you can't speak good English and another aspect of that is that there are hardly any dark skinned actresses in BW and even those who were had to inject whiteness into them? like Kajol, Deepika, Aish etc

Is Kalki a good actress or she only got in due to the gora complex of Bollywood like Katrina and Amy Jackson

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Honestly speaking, I don't know the hype around Kalki. I don't like her acting one bit. She looks too foreign to play the role of an Indian girl.. Katrina and Jackie don't have that issue.. Kalki sticks out like Tom Alter did among Indian actors even though he was an Indian for all practical purpose.. He couldn't play the role of an average Indian bloke though he was a good actor. 

I am not being racist here but appearance matters. Just like how you can't make prabhas play the role of say an ethnic naga tribesman even though that character is an Indian.. Similarly he can't play the role of a Kashmiri very convincingly.. Shahid looked miscast as a rajput king even though not all Rajput warriors were he-man.. 

I don't find Kalki beautiful.. Maybe others find her attractive and talented and that's why they watch her work... 

I liked the movie Shanghai but no other film of hers impressed me.. Margarita and a girl in yellow boots were very well received but honestly they are not for me 

She's an amazing actress it's an insult to compare her with the likes of katty (my fav) or Jackie..

The nuances and the sensitivity she showcased while portraying Laila was 👏

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Kalki is brilliant.

Simple 

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Kalki was brilliant in her earlier films like DevD, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Margarita with a Straw etc.

But off late she has lost her motto. Not sure what happened.

Indians do have a certain affiliation towards "gorapan" but to say that Kalki shouldn't be playing Indian roles is unfair and downright racist. India is a diverse country with people of different color everywhere (we've almost every skin type) .

So, yes Kalki is a decent actress. Not too good, but not bad either.

Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail

Nobody is comparing her acting skills with Jackie or Katty.. All I said is that they two can easily pass off as an Indian while she can't..looks matter in the movie industry and it often limits the role an actor can play.. There isn't anything racist about it. I have quoted examples of how even brown people look miscast as indians of certain ethnicity.. 

As to whether she should be cast in certain roles or not, it is the lookout of the casting director and others involved. Not my sphere of specialization.. I just voiced my opinion as an audience .. Didn't claim it to be an universal opinion and did not preach what others should watch 

I don't like her acting and that's my opinion. I haven't dissed her for it.. I have even said that her movies are well received but it is not to my taste. If anyone finds anything insulting then it is not my problem. 

Edited by Veni-Vidi-Vici - 3 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Kalki is a good actress. 

Bollywood requires a certain melodrama in acting which she doesn't do. So perhaps by THAT criteria, she's not good 😆. 

That being said, of course her fair skin got her the first foot in. I don't believe even she would deny that.

Still, she actually knows how to act unlike the reigning queens dating from mid 90s onward. 

Originally posted by: Veni-Vidi-Vici

Nobody is comparing her acting skills with Jackie or Katty.. All I said is that they two can easily pass off as an Indian while she can't..looks matter in the movie industry and it often limits the role an actor can play.. There isn't anything racist about it. I have quoted examples of how even brown people look miscast as indians of certain ethnicity.. 

As to whether she should be cast in certain roles or not, it is the lookout of the casting director and others involved. Not my sphere of specialization.. I just voiced my opinion as an audience .. Didn't claim it to be an universal opinion and did not preach what others should watch 

I don't like her acting and that's my opinion. I haven't dissed her for it.. I have even said that her movies are well received but it is not to my taste. If anyone finds anything insulting then it is not my problem. 

I know you didn't my point was directed at the TM Who asked

Is kalki a good actress or she is in the industry coz of goes skin

Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tede_naina

I know you didn't my point was directed at the TM Who asked

Is kalki a good actress or she is in the industry coz of goes skin

She likes acting.. Chose to pursue it.. Struggled too.. and then developed the right contacts.. Learnt the ropes fast and networked .. That is not a bad thing, it is done in corporates, businesses and politics.. Even a layman networks.. Skills can get you so far and no further.. She could act and knew the right people.. Lot of goras entered Bollywood.. Lagaan wali, kisna wali.. They didn't last. So can't say if it was a case of gora syndrome..

Kalki is French by ethnicity but was brought up in India - a major advantage especially when it comes to giving the right expressions required in an Indian movie 

I don't like her as an actress but I like her as a woman.. She is mature unlike a lot of others 

Tinah thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Kalki being gori has nothing to do with her getting roles. You know she was made fun of and called ugly when she made her debut in Dev D?

Personally, she is one of my favourites. Maybe because I was very impressed by her acting and Mahie Gill's too in Dev D. SInce then I have been a fan of both ladies. 

What impresses me with Kalki is that she might be white and come from white parents, she has adapted herself really well in India and can speak Tamil and Hindi which is quite impressive. 

She is not aloof in any way and is quite relatable.