Suvan Drabble: Boon and Bane

Bucky thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

Boon and Bane

I must have been starring into the mirror for eternity, the shiny surface seemed blotched and pale with my heavy breaths. No. I wasn’t crying. How stupidly hilarious is the disproportion of things working in this universe? While my family and I believe in rules, the world we live in likes to muddle in doldrums and chaotic traditions. 

I rubbed the mirror trying to have a better look at myself and the plain surroundings around me. My eyes looked red. The hue perfectly complemented the green eye shadow Kanchan had insisted on me. Far in the mirror, my vision fell on a distant table kept near the entrance of my bedroom. A bridal lehenga lay perched on it, its hem almost camouflaging the existence of the table.

I looked away to study the lehenga directly, without a second screen. Without anything to reflect my flowing emotions. Green and a shade of purple. Just as I had envisaged for the day once.

I sinfully looked at my hands as I rubbed them on my face trying to let go of the thoughts with the moment. But they returned with a bang all the more. The time was drawing near. My ring finger donned a beautiful emerald ring. It was simple, the gems were placed as if resembling a feather. Well that’s what I had thought initially too. But Shravan! He had a different context behind when he had proposed.

“Sorry, that was the closest I could find that would remind you of the army”, had been his modest reply at the bond marker and I had become an even firm believer of the future that followed. We were engaged two months back and he had been quick to decide on a wedding. 

“Let’s skip the engagement ceremony altogether”, he had said and I had burst into laughter at his silliness. Being a Major in the army had been unsuccessful in taking away his childlike personality. “The funnest and the bravest officer we have worked with”, I used to hear my and his colleagues alike, say. And I never doubted. Never once. He was always so good in roles, his lines, his timing.

“He’s here”, I heard Kanchan stutter and call out from the bedroom door. It took a minute for me to realize that I had been summoned. 

Shravan was arriving. But ditching the silver horse for our nation’s Tiranga.

----------

Another abandoned OS put to use in a Drabble. Sorry for making this one dark

*Originally written for Pranushka's (Lavy's) Spellwork - A Drabble Competition

Edited by Bucky - 3 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Majnu_Bhai thumbnail

Shravan is always cute to make his Sumo special & happy Nice drabble.

sambag thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I am not sure how many spotted Bucky that it was dark, but the last line was the one you had to read carefully. 

I so cried reading this ...

As I said this was for me the best drabble, the way you described Suman's state ..I am so taken by the drabble...It was so so good. I must stop as I cannot stop gushing over this drabble again and again.

I read it again now as I feel the emotions, the pain of loss and the pain of the timing so true..

Edited by sambag - 3 years ago
Isabel thumbnail

Hello Bucky dear! I had no...doubt...this one was written by you...you will notice somewhere else also..mentioned...I had no confusion about the ones you & Alina wrote...one of Sam's drabble...as well...but I was confused a bit for the indefinite proposal...in between, you & Alina...this one was as clear as can be...whether that's from the cover to the writings...your vocab. & style of writings...& entitlement send me the vibe of a special era of English literature...where the writer expresses a subtle intense involvement/affection by indifference outer covering...indeed...what I enjoy...truly...

Bucky thumbnail

Originally posted by: MusicOfTheHeart

Shravan is always cute to make his Sumo special & happy Nice drabble.

Thanks Razia👍🏼

Bucky thumbnail

Originally posted by: sambag

I am not sure how many spotted Bucky that it was dark, but the last line was the one you had to read carefully. 

I so cried reading this ...

As I said this was for me the best drabble, the way you described Suman's state ..I am so taken by the drabble...It was so so good. I must stop as I cannot stop gushing over this drabble again and again.

I read it again now as I feel the emotions, the pain of loss and the pain of the timing so true..

This means so much coming from you, Sam! I'm touched!

Thank you so much for your kind words and also for voting for it in the competition!🤗 Truly means a lot!

sambag thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Isabel

Hello Bucky dear! I had no...doubt...this one was written by you...you will notice somewhere else also..mentioned...I had no confusion about the ones you & Alina wrote...one of Sam's drabble...as well...but I was confused a bit for the indefinite proposal...in between, you & Alina...this one was as clear as can be...whether that's from the cover to the writings...your vocab. & style of writings...& entitlement send me the vibe of a special era of English literature...where the writer expresses a subtle intense involvement/affection by indifference outer covering...indeed...what I enjoy...truly...

@bold : I so agree

Bucky thumbnail

Originally posted by: Isabel

Isa ji thank you so much!🤗 You're a fine observer! You commenting on the thread means a lot to me!😳

@bold That is a huge compliment! I don't know if I'm deserving of it but it's made my day!❤️

Edited by Bucky - 3 years ago
Bucky thumbnail

Makes me beyond happy to receive a pat on the back from one of my favourite writers and whom I look up to🤗

Thank you Sam🤗

Isabel thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bucky

Isa ji thank you so much!🤗 You're a fine observer! You commenting on the thread means a lot to me!😳

@bold That is a huge compliment! I don't know if I'm deserving of it but it's made my day!❤️

Aww....that's so nice to hear....you do deserve them and more.......❤️🤗