Pradymuna and rukmavati

Share
Posted: 1 months ago

Tell me the story of pradymuna and rukmavati

Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by Poorabhforever


Tell me the story of pradymuna and rukmavati


Pradyumna attends the swayamvar of Shubhangi also known as Vaidarbhi (princess of vidarbha), the daughter of Rukmi and niece of Rukmini. Shubhangi selects Pradyumna as her husband and is married to him with great festivities.

They have a son Aniruddha. When Aniruddha becomes older. Rukmi arranges his granddaugher (born to his son) Rochana also known as Rukmavati's marriage with him, because he liked Aniruddha and still cared for Rukmini apparently though he hated Krishna still.


It is in the marriage of Aniruddha and Rukmavati Balram kills Rukmi. They play a game of dice that Balram loses. Rukmi laughs at him. Balram is enraged, accusea him of cheating picks up the dice board and repeatedly hits rukmi with him and kills him


Krishna rushes to place from wherever he was but by then Rukmi is dead. He just walks away quietly because he is not able to choose between a crying Rukmini and angry balram. Then everyone quietly takes Rukmavati and return to Dwarka


So long story short: Pradyumna's daughter in law is Rukmavati married to his son Aniruddha

Aniruddha and Rukmavati have a son Vajra.


All this is in Harivansh, bhagvatham and Vishnu Purana.


By the way Vaidarbhi is terranym. Means princess of Vidarbha and was used for Rukmini, Shubhangi and Rochana and Rukmavati is patronymn means descendend from Rukmi and therefore used for both Shubhangi (Pradyumna's wife) and Rochana (his daughter in law)

Edited by Chiillii - 1 months ago
Posted: 1 months ago

So this Vajra is the one who ruled Indraprastha later on no? 

Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by CaptainSpark


So this Vajra is the one who ruled Indraprastha later on no? 

Hi brishti.  Long time

About vajra text says so. I have not found anything that says he gave up indraprasth  not sure what SB says But i will reserve my judgement on this as of now. 

Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by Chiillii


Thank you. 

What do you think about vajra chilli. The much i have read both arjuna and even yudhishtra before he leaves hastinapur calls vajra as the king of indraprasth but popular opinion says that he did not rule indraprasth. What do you think?? 

Posted: 1 months ago

Text is very clear in MB and in Bhagvatham. Vajra is crowned king of remaining Vrishnis at Indraprasth.


This means, since Vrishnis had no home of their own, they were taken in as refugees and given a home at IP. Vajra would still remain a vassal to Parikshit. Indraprasth would remain a dominion of Hastinapur and not an independent kingdom. It remained so till Kshemaka the last descendent of Pandavs till Magadhans conquered it.


Eventually Vajra was able to regroup, re arm and establish himself in the Vrishnis earlier ancestral home Mathura as an Independent king. But he is not able to bring vrishnis to same glory as Krishna or even at par to Parikshit. Neither do his descendents. They fall much earlier to the rising Magadha.

Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by Poorabhforever


Hi brishti.  Long time

About vajra text says so. I have not found anything that says he gave up indraprasth  not sure what SB says But i will reserve my judgement on this as of now. 

Heyy Adhya! 

I also didn't hear of anything as such but i was wondering how Vajra came to rule Indraprastha. Don't know much about this

Posted: 1 months ago

Originally posted by Chiillii


Text is very clear in MB and in Bhagvatham. Vajra is crowned king of remaining Vrishnis at Indraprasth.


This means, since Vrishnis had no home of their own, they were taken in as refugees and given a home at IP. Vajra would still remain a vassal to Parikshit. Indraprasth would remain a dominion of Hastinapur and not an independent kingdom. It remained so till Kshemaka the last descendent of Pandavs till Magadhans conquered it.


Eventually Vajra was able to regroup, re arm and establish himself in the Vrishnis earlier ancestral home Mathura as an Independent king. But he is not able to bring vrishnis to same glory as Krishna or even at par to Parikshit. Neither do his descendents. They fall much earlier to the rising Magadha.

Could you tell us more about the rise of Magadh? I have read much about the prominence of Magadh in post Mahabharat age. Want to know how this came about. The last I heard Jarasandha was defeated, ans then post MB I have read about Nanda kings. Dhanananda who eventually was defeated by CGM. I am sure lot came in between which we don't know much about


Mahabharat 


Related Topics

No Related topics found

Topic Info

14 Replies 828Views

Topic started by Krishnapanchali

Last replied by FlauntPessimism

FORUM QUICK JUMP

TOP