Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: proteeti

Hey thanks for pointing this one out, I've always admired him so much here. πŸ˜†

You guys remember the time he diffused a fight b/w Arjun and Yudi by literally making them curse each other out? 🀣

And that time when Yudi is lamenting about how Arjun always has to keep traveling and Krishna gets back at him with something about Arjun's ankles! 🀣

Nor Arjuna's ankles. Arjuna's plumbingπŸ˜†.

It was something like this:

Yudhishtira, Krishna, and Panchali are together in palace, presumably conversing. 

Y: Why is this guy Arjuna always so moody?

K: (silent)

Y: (repeats question)

K: Maybe because he has to constantly fight. He is the one who has to fight because he has big pindike. (Pindike means male equipment as well as cheekbones, but I imagine the first fits context better)

P: (glares at K for the off color joke)

K: (makes expression of surrender)

P: (laughs)

K: (laughs)

Y: (left looking a bit idiotic). Yeah, yeah.

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m14/m14087.htm

KMG translation completely took the fun out of the sceneπŸ˜†. Try to read it in Sanskrit. I'm told there is a Bengali translation which puts it bluntly.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Yudhishtira, Krishna, and Panchali are together in palace, presumably conversing. 

K: Maybe because he has to constantly fight. He is the one who has to fight because he has big pindike. (Pindike means male equipment as well as cheekbones, but I imagine the first fits context better)

KMG translation completely took the fun out of the sceneπŸ˜†. Try to read it in Sanskrit. I'm told there is a Bengali translation which puts it bluntly.

Ahh yeah I read that one too. πŸ˜†  Rajashekar Basu's abridged one has traveling+ankles (for obvious reasons that is the one I prefer to remember πŸ˜†)

"Pindike" is mentioned by him too, and he translates it to ankles. 😊

Edited by proteeti - 3 years ago
wayward thumbnail

Originally posted by: NoraSM

This incident shows how different he was from people of his era

Can you share the story of Arjuna's ankles? I don't know about it

It's almost the same as what @HearMeRoar mentioned.

Krishna was always a little different.

Personally, I put the reason behind it to be his upbringing as a cowherd. Because in his childhood he didn't have that much of a pressure to succeed or something as normal princes of his age did, he got to bloom up completely before he entered the political zone.

As a result, he was more perceptive. Also, having spent most of his living days as a member of the normal praja, he understood their needs and requirements much better than sheltered princes. This was what in fact made him so ahead of his times.

Remember, his stance was always peace not war. ❀️ Even at the cost of his reputation (Ranchhod track) he was prepared to protect his countrymen from war.

NoraSM thumbnail

The word could be "Pindli" which means 'Calf', it goes with the next line of Arjuna being on road 

Its just a little weird if Krishna actually spoke about Arjuna's weapon (😢😢😢😢😢) in front of everyone πŸ€£ it could be one of those inside jokes with Draupadi

KMG has changed it completely, Bengali version is better and fun

Edited by NoraSM - 3 years ago
NoraSM thumbnail

It's almost the same as what @HearMeRoar mentioned.

Krishna was always a little different.

Personally, I put the reason behind it to be his upbringing as a cowherd. Because in his childhood he didn't have that much of a pressure to succeed or something as normal princes of his age did, he got to bloom up completely before he entered the political zone.

As a result, he was more perceptive. Also, having spent most of his living days as a member of the normal praja, he understood their needs and requirements much better than sheltered princes. This was what in fact made him so ahead of his times.

Remember, his stance was always peace not war. ❀️ Even at the cost of his reputation (Ranchhod track) he was prepared to protect his countrymen from war.

Yeah

HearMeRoar thumbnail

The word could be "Pindli" which means 'Calf', it goes with the next line of Arjuna being on road 

Its just a little weird if Krishna actually spoke about Arjuna's weapon (😢😢😢😢😢) in front of everyone πŸ€£ it could be one of those inside jokes with Draupadi

KMG has changed it completely, Bengali version is better and fun

Ahh yeah I read that one too. smiley36  Rajashekar Basu's abridged one has traveling+ankles (for obvious reasons that is the one I prefer to remember smiley36)

"Pindike" is mentioned by him too, and he translates it to ankles. smiley1

The Sanskrit word is Pindike, so it's either what I mentioned or cheekbones, not ankles πŸ˜†.  Probably the translator didn't want to imagine the first and couldn't imagine why cheekbones would make Arjuna travel.

But why would anyone feel 2nd hand embarrassed by it?πŸ˜† Krishna and Arjuna were men, and the male of the species does talk like that. Usually, not when in company of women. Which is probably why Panchali glared at him.

To me it speaks of the depth of the friendship between Krishna, Arjuna, and Panchali that Krishna would dare make a non veg joke in front of her. She WAS the empress of Aryavarta. It's like saying that in front of Queen Elizabeth II.πŸ˜† In fact, Vyasa makes a comment on the friendship between the 3 in the next line. 

NoraSM thumbnail

The Sanskrit word is Pindike, so it's either what I mentioned or cheekbones, not ankles πŸ˜†.  Probably the translator didn't want to imagine the first and couldn't imagine why cheekbones would make Arjuna travel.

But why would anyone feel 2nd hand embarrassed by it?πŸ˜† Krishna and Arjuna were men, and the male of the species does talk like that. Usually, not when in company of women. Which is probably why Panchali glared at him.

To me it speaks of the depth of the friendship between Krishna, Arjuna, and Panchali that Krishna would dare make a non veg joke in front of her. She WAS the empress of Aryavarta. It's like saying that in front of Queen Elizabeth II.πŸ˜† In fact, Vyasa makes a comment on the friendship between the 3 in the next line. 

To be honest, I didn't get the joke too πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸƒ Why does he walk if he has big weapon? πŸ˜πŸ˜ΆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

Bheema, Rishis and other people from Kuru Vansh were there too, one can only imagine the look on their face 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

To be honest, I didn't get the joke too πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸƒ Why does he walk if he has big weapon? πŸ˜πŸ˜ΆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

Bheema, Rishis and other people from Kuru Vansh were there too, one can only imagine the look on their face 

Krishna doesn't say walk or travel. Yudhishtira asks why is Arjuna always moody? Setup sounds like big brother was insulting Arjuna in front of Panchali. Krishna says Arjuna is moody because he is the one who has to fight all the wars, and he has to fight all the wars because he is the one with the big weapon. Because men do metaphorically equate the size of that with bravery.

Bheema wouldn't have cared as he was a jovial fellow. I don't think anyone else was there.

Actually, in the pre Khandava scene, Vyasa says Krishna and Arjuna were talking about women and battles. Basically, they were bragging to each otherπŸ˜†. And Panchali and Subhadra were drunk out of their minds.🀣

wayward thumbnail

With either of the options, it still makes for an interesting scene though. πŸ˜†

Krishna didn't care about a lot of things, and frankly I love it! smiley37

I agree their friendship was definitely one of a kind. ❀️