Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 years ago

Is there any proof that Kalyavana was Greek excluding the usage of the word "Yavan" in his name?? 

I am asking this because Yavan were probably everyone who came from far west

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

Is there any proof that Kalyavana was Greek excluding the usage of the word "Yavan" in his name?? 

I am asking this because Yavan were probably everyone who came from far west

It's a general consensus that he was Greek. Plus I also remember reading red hair blue eyes somewhere (didnt find it i  sb...dekh lena) toh that is traditionally ascribed to Greek only na. ðŸ˜ƒ

surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Fighting with paundrak ( one who copied physical attire of lord Krishna ) Krishna use arch and arrow 

Lord Krishna know 16 arts in which yudh kala is also include and in yudh kala he knows  how to use different weapons

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: proteeti

It's a general consensus that he was Greek. Plus I also remember reading red hair blue eyes somewhere (didnt find it i  sb...dekh lena) toh that is traditionally ascribed to Greek only na. ðŸ˜ƒ

I didn't know about hair and eyes, but yeah, agree that Kalyavana was basically Black Greek. 

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

I didn't know about hair and eyes, but yeah, agree that Kalyavana was basically Black Greek. 

I think this Greek theory only comes because his name has "Yavan" in it.

The Greeks would have had a mention of him in their history had anyone from there came to India, because Alexander was of the opinion that he would be the first Zeus follower to reach here

Aside I had read somewhere that he had come from Bactria (Bahleek desh) near Gandhar.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

I think this Greek theory only comes because his name has "Yavan" in it.

The Greeks would have had a mention of him in their history had anyone from there came to India, because Alexander was of the opinion that he would be the first Zeus follower to reach here

Aside I had read somewhere that he had come from Bactria (Bahleek desh) near Gandhar.

This is the citation from HV CE (not available online)

Having beenfalsely accused, Gargya was overcome by rage and for twelve years, hiscomplexion assumed the hue of black iron. To prove the accusation wrong, heproceeded to have intercourse with a cowherd girl. However, the cowherd girlwas actually an apsara who had assumed the attire of a cowherd girl. Thoughthe unblemished Gargya’s seed was extremely difficult to hold, she nurturedthe embryo. It was on the instructions of the wielder of the trident386 that shehad assumed human form and became Gargya’s wife. She thus gave birth to theimmensely strong king known as Kalayavana. In a battle, the front half of hisbody looked like that of a bull, while the rear half looked like that of a horse.The king of the yavanas was without a son and reared the child in the interiorquarters of his palace.387 O great king! That is the reason he came to be k
nownas Kalayavana.

ImaginativeGirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Very interesting information. Thanks for the thread.

Kalyavan being Greek is something I didn't know. 

Edited by AnkitaPurka66 - 3 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnkitaPurka66

Very interesting information. Thanks for the thread.

Kalyavan being Greek is something I didn't know. 

Half Greek. His father, Gargya Rishi, was Yadava. His mother was an apsara in the employee of a childless Yavana King. The king brought him up as his own. The child would've been dark for a Greek, hence Kal Yavana.

ETA. Gargya was apparently guru to Vrishnis and Andhakas. I don't know if he was Yadava by blood.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

This is the citation from HV CE (not available online)

Having beenfalsely accused, Gargya was overcome by rage and for twelve years, hiscomplexion assumed the hue of black iron. To prove the accusation wrong, heproceeded to have intercourse with a cowherd girl. However, the cowherd girlwas actually an apsara who had assumed the attire of a cowherd girl. Thoughthe unblemished Gargya’s seed was extremely difficult to hold, she nurturedthe embryo. It was on the instructions of the wielder of the trident386 that shehad assumed human form and became Gargya’s wife. She thus gave birth to theimmensely strong king known as Kalayavana. In a battle, the front half of hisbody looked like that of a bull, while the rear half looked like that of a horse.The king of the yavanas was without a son and reared the child in the interiorquarters of his palace.387 O great king! That is the reason he came to be k
nownas Kalayavana.

Ok thanks so Kalyavana did stay in Greece. Any mention of him in Greek history?

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Ok thanks so Kalyavana did stay in Greece. Any mention of him in Greek history?

Never actually checked but interested now. Will let you know if I find anything