Donation/Fundraising for medical purposes in academia

Chemcart_MJ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 4 years ago

As we all know, Suman called Shravan "coward" but has started to admit that he admits his lies with honesty but that was only him being brave mentally. Now in upcoming episodes (god knows when this corona crap will be oversmiley5smiley36) there is a blood donation event whereby Shravan will prove his bravery by donating his blood to Suman. Coming to these episodes, it reminded me of real-life blood donation events set at academic institutions. Honestly speaking, l low-key don't know how it is done in colleges in other countries but I'd suppose the process is similar in the US where there are blood donation camps/trucks to sign up and donate blood. We also have similar events like fundraising for medical diseases, donating hair by shaving/cutting, etc. So feel free to chime if you guys remember any sort of incidents & whether you guys were part of it or not? What was it for?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bucky thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

I've been part of 2 blood donation camps up till now. And since I study in a medical school, it's compulsory for the students to donate blood if they're healthy. 

I know of a friend who donated her hair towards a cancer organisation๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Great topic Meena!

Chemcart_MJ thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bucky

I've been part of 2 blood donation camps up till now. And since I study in a medical school, it's compulsory for the students to donate blood if they're healthy. 

I know of a friend who donated her hair towards a cancer organisation๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Great topic Meena!

Interesting. 

I've obtained my degrees at college that was related to medicinal chemistry. I have donated blood, gave my tresses for cancer purposes, & donated money for research on leukemia in children. Now, working as an R&D scientist who works as part of MedChem & Chemical Biology groups, we also have those events in my company. So, it feels great to be part of such events/research.

Bucky thumbnail

Originally posted by: Meena_J

Interesting. 

I've obtained my degrees at college that was related to medicinal chemistry. I have donated blood, gave my tresses for cancer purposes, & donated money for research on leukemia in children. Now, working as an R&D scientist who works as part of MedChem & Chemical Biology groups, we also have those events in my company. So, it feels great to be part of such events/research.

Wow!๐Ÿ‘

alina.b thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Nice Topic! Love it!

I have never donated blood due to the same reason as Shravan ๐Ÿ˜† scared of needles even though I'm about to go to medical school. It's always been very painful when I have my blood drawn because I have very tiny veins and don't drink a lot of water so they have to stab me multiple times lol

I have donated hair for cancer. I usually grow out my hair really long and then cut it super short.

I was very involved in college and still am for raising money and awareness for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Hey Tennessean, this is in your state!) because they treat kids with cancer internationally at no cost to the family so it's an important cause to me.

I want to get involved in an organization for diabetes because  I know so many people, even in my own family, who were severely affected by poorly-controlled diabetes. Actually in the future, want to specialize in limb salvation because a lot of diabetic patients develop wounds that go out of control and have to get amputations. I work at a nursing home right now so I see a lot of this and it's heartbreaking to see the effect it has on the patient's confidence.   

Bucky thumbnail

Ladies, you're an inspiration. Kudos to you, Alina and Meena!๐Ÿ‘

alina.b thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

I didn't know you were in medical school! We have so many people in medicine and science here! I think my school also requires students to donate blood so I'm going to have to get over my fear...and drink more water ๐Ÿ˜†

Chemcart_MJ thumbnail

Originally posted by: alina.b

Nice Topic! Love it!

I have never donated blood due to the same reason as Shravan ๐Ÿ˜† scared of needles even though I'm about to go to medical school. It's always been very painful when I have my blood drawn because I have very tiny veins and don't drink a lot of water so they have to stab me multiple times lol

I have donated hair for cancer. I usually grow out my hair really long and then cut it super short.

I was very involved in college and still am for raising money and awareness for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Hey Tennessean, this is in your state!) because they treat kids with cancer internationally at no cost to the family so it's an important cause to me.

I want to get involved in an organization for diabetes because  I know so many people, even in my own family, who were severely affected by poorly-controlled diabetes. Actually in the future, want to specialize in limb salvation because a lot of diabetic patients develop wounds that go out of control and have to get amputations. I work at a nursing home right now so I see a lot of this and it's heartbreaking to see the effect it has on the patient's confidence.   

BOLD: Yeah, that was the hospital for which I donated the money for research & medical payments associated with childhood leukemia. 

Yeah, it doesn't have to be just blood because like you mentioned people have fear of needles. People donate hair or money for medical purposes as well. 

Interesting specialization! It does affect the elderly a lot for sure. My uncle passed from diabetes years ago. If left untreated, it can get worse.

Chemcart_MJ thumbnail

Thanks, Ru and so are you.

Chemcart_MJ thumbnail

Originally posted by: alina.b

I didn't know you were in medical school! We have so many people in medicine and science here! I think my school also requires students to donate blood so I'm going to have to get over my fear...and drink more water ๐Ÿ˜†

I remember in Salaam Namaste, Saif Ali Khan's character was afraid of needles but he still underwent the medical treatment for his kids.