Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
"I couldn't get Mallika's attention," Abhishek!
by Debasis Jana

Abhishek Bachchan can't understand why Mallika Sherawat is not impressed by him. Abhishek and Mallika shared screen space in Mani Ratnam's 'Guru'. According to Abhishek, Mallika is fantastic and a fabulous co-star. But Mallika is mysteriously quiet about Abhishek. Why? Abhishek can't understand. And in a recent interview, Jr. Bachchan makes his point: "I danced in front of her, I ran in front of her in slow motion and fast as well….but I could not get Mallika's attention. She is just impressed by my dad and the way he urns."
"Jokes apart, she is a fantastic dancer, and a very positive person," he adds. However when asked about what's cooking between him and certain Ms. Rai, Abhishek's free-frank mood changed suddenly and said, "I don't like to speak about my personal life because that is all I have got of my own." "I couldn't get Mallika's attention," Abhishek!
by Debasis Jana

Abhishek Bachchan can't understand why Mallika Sherawat is not impressed by him. Abhishek and Mallika shared screen space in Mani Ratnam's 'Guru'. According to Abhishek, Mallika is fantastic and a fabulous co-star. But Mallika is mysteriously quiet about Abhishek. Why? Abhishek can't understand. And in a recent interview, Jr. Bachchan makes his point: "I danced in front of her, I ran in front of her in slow motion and fast as well….but I could not get Mallika's attention. She is just impressed by my dad and the way he urns."
"Jokes apart, she is a fantastic dancer, and a very positive person," he adds. However when asked about what's cooking between him and certain Ms. Rai, Abhishek's free-frank mood changed suddenly and said, "I don't like to speak about my personal life because that is all I have got of my own."

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
monika.goel thumbnail
Watch Guru for the actors

Raja Sen | January 12, 2007 18:12 IST

Related Articles
Special Guru section
Will Abhi-Ash chemistry work?
Abhishek: My biggest film yet
Guru is the stuff of dreams, the fluff of escapism. It is cinema where protagonists succeed defying all odds and where young gophers in Shell tracksuits go on to address stadium-fulls of adoring shareholders. And, it comes complete with songs, thrown in with abrupt abandon.

Except, because this is Bollywood, we've seen it all before. Rags to riches tales abound in the unreal song-and-dance world our stars jiggle around in, and we have seen protagonists come from nowhere to become superheroes, just like we've seen them fight 81 gangsters armed with their mother's blessings. Dare to dream, it announces proudly, but isn't that the moral of pretty much every masala Bollywood pikchur?

Then again, Guru is a Mani Ratnam film. Which automatically ensures restraint and realism in the film and an almost hushed reverence in the audience. The film stops a few inches short of being a biopic, but the director bestows his character, Guru Kant Desai, with enough depth to make him feel as flesh-and-blood as you or me. Sure, there are enough superficial similarities with real life business icons, but the film (sadly?) isn't about men who share a corporate logo uncannily similar to the hero, it's about Guru. Period. And he's quite the character.

Abhishek Bachchan plays the young Gujarati boy with stars in his eyes and an excessive urge to warm his pockets. After landing himself a job in Turkey (and cavorting with the supremely sexy Mallika Sherawat) he works his way up the corporate chain, before he decides he's got to go into business for himself. 'Bijness,' Guru'd say. Deciding to marry his closest friend's sister because of the dowry he can packet as his starting capital, our leading man strikes gold as he finds himself a dutiful, undeniably pretty wife in the bargain, played by Aishwarya Rai.

A still from GuruThen comes his rise, with lots of happenstance. Strangely, Mani chooses not to dwell too much on his climb itself, preferring to show us bits of success interspersed with A R Rahman's spectacular music -- which, in this case, almost always overwhelms the film around it. So while we have young Guru seeing through a game of cups-and-balls at a Turkish fair and Guru ingeniously winning himself a crucial trading membership on the golf course, the incidents come at a slow clip, minus revelations or insight, with most of the action lying in Guru's crisply-written dialogue, the hero speaking almost exclusively in punchlines.

And a rise so meteoric does indeed owe a tremendous debt to Miss Fortune. But the ambitious achievers, the ones out there trying to change the world around them while you're reading this review, aren't just lucky lads/lasses. They're the ones leaving absolutely no stone unturned, denying refusal and perpetually keeping eyes peeled for opportunity to exploit. So when a furious, sun burnt Guru glares at a big building at Mumbai's picturesque Marine Drive and happens to randomly run into the genial publisher of The Independent (Mithun Chakraborty) who happens to like people with a temper, the meeting is chance. The relationship that follows, is all Guru's doing.

Guru is fuelled by a slew of strong performances. Abhishek Bachchan owns the movie, forcing audiences to sit up straight as it begins and making us laugh and applaud as he carries on.

Bachchan forces himself under the skin of the character, and from gait to accent, proves constantly credible. He's impressive in every frame, as he ebulliently takes over an alien room by hopping onto a chair, or when he's trying to be ever so slightly slimy, polishing his spectacles and showing off his smarminess. He thrusts his chest out in jubilation, manages a paunch to rival his pregnant wife's, and can really, really hold his own (while channeling some of his dad's glorious anger) during a soliloquy.

And then there's his lady. Aishwarya Rai starts off cold, breaking into song a few minutes after Ms Sherawat has wowed the crowds, and despite her newfound penchant for very low-cut cholis, she doesn't quite get you going. Until she reaches a railway station, as abandoned as in Dil Se, reads a Dear Jane letter from a spineless lover, and grits her teeth. This one's a fiery character, solid of resolve and while she melts irresistibly for her husband, is not likely to take nonsense from anyone else.

Ash is disarmingly natural in the film, holding her own even in scenes where she's crippled by a lack of dialogue. There is a spontaneous freedom to her, and this is arguably her finest performance, visible especially when she takes over the film's climax.

Mithunda may be a revelation to Bollywood audiences unfamiliar with his art-house work, but Mani uses him very well in a role that justifies his top billing in the movie's credits. His character is strong but with weaknesses, great but almost tempted to give up the nobility. Mithun portrays this inner conflict with terrific moderation, and is largely responsible for the film reaching a crescendo in the first half.

As for the others, outside of a fine supporting cast culled from television, the lovely Vidya Balan is okay but somewhat wasted in a role that isn't as well-etched, and Madhavan proves, yet again, that he can mouth good-boy lines with extreme, believable sincerity. This one is truly a poster boy for India.

Sadly, the film hinges on greatness, but decides to play it safe.

Even as it builds up, with fabulous, infectious enthusiasm right up to the interval, it promises far more than the second half delivers. The film is about a gray character, about Guru Kant Desai (That's Gurubhai to you) who made questionable decisions, delved into illegality and made offers people couldn't refuse -- a man who never looked back in his overreaching urge to make more money. A character high on ambition, low on scruples and one who considers himself a messiah, albeit purely capitalistic.

Yet while there is much ground to explore this conflict (and the film lays down the ammo in the first half), most of it is oversimplified. While the film does call Guru 'a smuggler' and 'a swindler,' it does so in hushed tones. The newspapermen are painted with near villainous colours, seeming to persecute the almost-blameless hero. Mani looks so besotted with his hero that the film virtually calls his crimes insignificant and inevitable. There is a point near the end when Guru vociferously likens himself and his fight for more to Gandhi's freedom struggle, and our jaws drop till he instantly retracts the scandalous line.

This is irresponsible filmmaking coming from a director of such stature. It's disappointing seeing a non-biopic turn into such hagiography, and while it works completely -- save for a slightly winded second half -- as a masala film, it really had the potential to be Fantastic. It isn't.

Rediff Rating:

monika.goel thumbnail

Straight from the Guru's mouth

With the year's first major release days away from hitting theatres, who better to talk about Mani Ratnam's Guru than the film's titular leading man, Abhishek Bachchan himself? Without further adieu, here's the hero's take: On face value, Guru is the story of Gurukant Desai, the protagonist of the film, who I play. It is the life story of this one character. We meet him at the age of 15-16 and stay with him till the end of his life. I personally feel the movie is about a dream, a dream that I would like to believe that the majority of our country has. His is a special story of that one character who makes his dream into a reality.

When Mani first came to me with the idea, we were already working on a different script and he had had a change of heart. He said 'I feel like making this film and this is very interesting, lets do this film.'

Design: Reuben N

As an actor you cant find a more interesting, exciting script to do, because well it's almost like a biopic. But initially I was scared, because it was going to be challenging. You know when Mani comes to you, he means tough, he will not give you an easy film. And once you are on the set, he will really make your role tougher by the demands he makes in terms of performance. I was excited because I knew Mani was talking about a wider message. Not just one character, he was very conscious about this being the story of an everyday boy with a large dream, and how he sets about through his talent and dedication achieving that.

I latched on to that one emotion Mani was very insistent upon when we set about making the film. It is a movie about hope. Apart from just celebrating its one character, the film tells everybody that if there is a will there is a way. That is what I take back from Guru

monika.goel thumbnail

|

Every film I do is a landmark film. I think it is very important to an actor to think like that because we should not prioritise our work like that. But when you work with Mani, you know it's going to be special. The last time I worked with him was Yuva, which went on to bring a lot of changes for me and taught me a lot. This time around I think Mani has taught me even more. So in terms of what I learnt, in terms what Mani means to me as a director, it is truly a landmark for me.

I have worked in Hindi films with big star casts, budgets but this film is big in a different way --although we do have a huge production, huge star cast, group of wonderful actors and great technicians -- the idea of the film is very big. I think the character Mani gave me is larger than life, and so I could call it my biggest film yet.

A lot of work went into the character, obviously emanating from the fact that Mani is immensely well prepared when he comes to meet you on a script level. The greatest thing is that he is very clear on exactly what he wants to see. We set about working on the film's look, got in some special effects makeup artistes from India and abroad. We actually had them flown down, did a bit of prosthetics makeup, a lot of makeup tests -- although we had Sundays off, we utilised those days. Even while shooting we used to keep tweaking, to get the look right.

Mani has an obsession for making things real. So he definitely felt using too much makeup would disconnect the audience from character. So you want to use as much makeup possible to age, and when you see it you feel 'oh, you could have done a little more, you could have added grey to the hair a little bit more, you could have added more weight' but he was clear.

monika.goel thumbnail

|

That clarity is nice because I think the ageing is minimal, superficially. Less is more, and the rest is the performance, the way they've been shot, that was nice because it is more realistic. Yes, there is a lot of preparation, a lot of hard work, but it is greatly complemented by Rajiv (Menon, cinematographer) and Mani because they also shot it in a particular way sometimes to try and hide a few things and sometimes to accentuate the flaws. This is my second film with Madras Talkies and in characteristic form I've moved in, I worked with the production unit before in Yuva, and am very close to and fond of them.

Mani is Mani, is Mani, is Mani.. You know he is somebody I hold very dear to me. I am very glad we worked in another film together. The friendship continued after Yuva, but the want of an actor to work with a director was always there and I wanted to do another film with him.

|

Rajiv Menon is actually Ravi's boss, (Ravi K Chandran shot Yuva) and I call him exactly that. Rajiv shot Guru and no way is there a better cinematographer in the world. Ravi trained under him. According to me, he is very humble. I really believe, from the 30-odd films I've done and the innumerable films I've seen, that there isn't a better cinematographer. The way he sets up the shots and the way he understands cinema, its truly so wonderful to have a cinematographer who is not just the eyes of your director, but also the ears and much more. What I love the most about Rajiv is that he is always improvising. At times its irritating when in the middle of a take, he changes the entire lighting setup.

But then he told me something wonderful. He said, 'if you can change your dialogues why cant I change my lighting?' That's very fair. He's truly a master of his art. I really hope he doesn't go for direction again, and sticks to cinematography.

Back | More

In Guru there is no one song that stands out, but the entire soundtrack is great and it complements the film brilliantly. It's very tough to choose just one song. They all are unique in their own way, special in their own way, the way we shot just the song itself. The bhang song we call yamo yamo is a great track, and we had a great time shooting it. Be it Mayya mayya which we shot in an old Byzantine church in Turkey or be Aishwarya's introductory track, or the romantic songs we have shot, they are all unique. They have the unique sound of Mani Ratnam and A R Rahman together, so it's very tough to choose among them.

There were really no easy scenes during this film. It is very tough when you start to shoot. It's very demanding. Mani really used this film to remove all his frustrations about my bad behaviour during his last film. He gave me so much work on the sets I shut up.

monika.goel thumbnail
Big B - Sunny - Sanju - Jackie this Valentines

By Joginder Tuteja, Bollywood Trade News Network

It is going to be one action packed Friday this Valentines.

While one may have expected romantic flicks like SALAAM-E-ISHQ, HONEYMOON TRAVELS PVT. LTD. or JUST MARRIED to arrive on Friday, February 16th, it is actually the other way round with veteran heroes Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, Sunny Deol and Jackie Shroff gracing the screens all over.

These men would be seen in EKLAVYA - THE ROYAL GUARD and BIG BROTHER, both of which come together on the same day. While Big B has been a legend in his own right, Sanju, Sunny and Jackie have only consolidated their position after being in the industry for around 25 years now.

With so much of all around action happening this Valentines, pink roses and chocolates can definitely wait!

virgoqueen thumbnail

Ash and Abhishek @ Premiere of "Guru" in Toronto

Edited by virgoqueen - 17 years ago
Pachu.P thumbnail
Guyssss...Guru got gr888 reviews!

Wohooooo n they're sayin its Abhi's best film till date...even beating Yuva!! 😲

Im gnna go see it sometimes this week...wohooooooooooooo can't waittttttt 😳