Of broken souls and soulmates

Zoyamalik1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Raman cries himself to sleep, every single night. 

Ishita breaks down because she’ll never, ever be a mother. 

Jilted. For being inadequate. Both of them. 

They’re connected by this right from the start. Rejection unites them even before they know it. Way before they realise it. It’s a tie that binds. 

Their interactions are so charged in the initial phase of the show. Their eyes speak volumes. When Ishita can’t help but break down in front of Raman, he wants to comfort her, his eyes reflect the same pain she’s trying to hide in hers. 

Again, Raman believes women are actors, masters of deception. But Ishita ‘s eyes hold the same anguish that exists within him too. Despite himself once again, he WANTS to pacify her. Where he sets out to add salt to her wounds, he ends up regretting it and walking away, while Ishita can break down in peace. 

For Ishita, the world just doesn’t let her forget that she can’t conceive. She represents the woman of today, a successful career, balancing her home life with her professional life and living by her own standards and rules. BUT, her mother desperately wants her married, and at every corner she turns she’s met with the truth that this can’t happen. 

I strongly believe Ishita is more emotionally mature than Raman. Raman has closed down, recoiled from the world. Ishita tries to make the best of the world she’s had to live in.

But Raman’s divorce and custody battle, and Ishita’s failure to adopt reinforce one thing. They’re both broken. And they both wear a mask for the world. 

It’s true that Ishita is optimistic about life, even though she’s realistic about her situation. And Raman is cold, angry, distant. 

But today, Ishita’s optimism was defeated. Helplessly breaking down in front of Raman, little did she know he was just crying himself. 

When Raman for a split second considered placing his hand on ishita’s shoulder, when he saw her in utter anguish he couldn’t see her as a liar, pretender, manipulator. He saw his own turmoil. And he knew that to be true. 

That they go onto find their true selves in each other, complete each other makes pure sense. 

A couple that has spoken with their eyes just as much, if not more than words were drawn to each other right from the beginning. 

Consistently throughout the show, Raman tries to suppress feelings, deny them. Feel them but right till the end avoid or protest against them. This is no different. For me, as a viewer that reads into every nuance, every movement  these characters make, I think that Ishita began to make a place in Raman’s heart right from the start. He walks away BECAUSE he recognises what she’s feeling. His heart tells him right here she’s no Shagun, that her heart just wants to be loved too. 

At this time, it’s just the start of the Ishra journey. Even at this point though, and though they’d never entertain it their connection is utterly palpable. 

And hence the title of this post: 

Of broken souls and soulmates 

Note: Abercrombie and Fitch clad Raman today, spoke volumes with his eyes and this second viewing of the show and episode in particular.... it just hits HARD how amazing it was before the nonsense began!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ChanChanMan thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

When I'd watched this scene, I'd expected Raman to apologise for this folly. However, we didn't get that. Anyhow. 

Also, I don't know if you've ever paid attention to Raman's dialogue 

"Tumhe chot pohnchane ke khayaal se meri saanson ka dhadhakon se naata toot jaata hai, lekin phir sochta hoon ke ek baar tum ruhto toh sahi taqi duniya ko bhi bata sakun ke meri biwi ko manane ka har tareeqa mujhe aata hai" 

This, to me, is the essence of Raman's character. 

bscorp13 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Beautifully written.👏👏..and one of the most poignant scenes of YHM 1.0 and one of the most underrated....DivAn at their best and writing at its peak.

It is one scene that summarized IshRa for me....both were in pain..both needed a listening heart and a hand to pull them out of darkness ...and at that point in time neither realized that the one person who could do that was standing right next to them ...

It is pain that bonded them ....and in this scene with very minimal dialogues..their eyes ..and the pain in them spoke loudest ....

And you are absolutely right .....both ishita and Raman were both products of their past and pain ....they both had become different people because of that pain...but ishita was always the one who saw the silver lining but also became overly selfless - putting everything above herself ..it's like she stopped believing that she deserved happiness of any sort..

and Raman had barricaded himself to the point where he couldn't even see the ones who could be his solace ......blinded and masochistic to the point where the pain was turning into his need ..like a drug..

.And that thread was a constant for almost all of YHM...

Thanks for writing this and reminding me of this scene....this was YHM at its best and IshRa at their most relatable...this was the scene that set the scene ...for all the future possibilities...

Haleyy thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Brilliant write up as always !

It made me want to see that intense scene again .

Broken souls healing each other 😢

DivAn were so natural that we can connect to ishra emotionally and we get happy with them n also get hurt with them 

If possible write a ff on pre wedding ishra .. Would love to read more n more on your point of view 

MG_Inactive thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Can anyone please share which episode number is this?

ChanChanMan thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: MeghnaGhosh

Can anyone please share which episode number is this?

The date was 8th Jan 2014.

MG_Inactive thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: UmeraTariq

The date was 8th Jan 2014.

Thanks🤗