Director of TSIP, Sonali Bose speaks on Kashmir

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 4 years ago

Can't reach my baby Zaira Wasim: Shonali Bose says Not My India on Kashmir Article 370 abrogation

The Sky Is Pink director Shonali Bose took to social media to mark her disapproval on government's decision of abrogating Article 370 in Kashmir. In her post, she wrote that she is not able to get in touch with Zaira Wasim since August 5.

• India Today Web Desk
  • New Delhi
  • August 19, 2019
  • UPDATED: August 19, 2019 18:41 IST

Zaira Wasim will be seen in Shonali Boses film The Sky Is Pink.

Zaira Wasim will be seen in Shonali Bose's film The Sky Is Pink.

Ever since the Indian government decided to abrogate Article 370, ending the special status that Jammu and Kashmir enjoyed, several people have said several things about it. While many celebrities from Bollywood praised the decision and took to social media to show their support, there are many who termed it draconian. Shonali Bose, the director of The Sky Is Pink, is among the ones who think that the BJP-led NDA government's decision to nullify Article 370 in The Valley is an attack on India's democracy and is unconstitutional.

The filmmaker, who directed Kashmiri actress Zaira Wasim in her upcoming film The Sky Is Pink, took to Instagram to show her disapproval on the abrogation of Article 370 in Kashmir. In her heartfelt post, the director said that it is not her India and that the manner in which Article 370 was nullified in Jammu and Kashmir, is unconstitutional. Along with the post, she also shared a picture of herself with the Dangal star.

Shonali Bose wrote, "#NotMyIndia. It has been two weeks since the unprecedented communication blockade of Jammu and Kashmir. My heart is heavy as the sky is dark over India's democracy right now. My heart has always ached for the terrible human rights violations in the Valley - right from the times of the Congress government in the 90's. The disappearances and killing of innocent youth is not new. Nor is the opening of fire on demonstrations. But this government has crossed every line with it's draconian measures."

Asking residents of the country how they would feel if their state is divided like Jammu and Kashmir, she wrote, "I want to ask every Indian - every Bengali, Maharashtrian, Gujarati, Tamilian et al - how would you feel if your State was split overnight and converted into a Union Territory? Leave Article 370 aside for a moment and answer that honestly."

On August 5 this year, Union Home Minister Amit Shah announced the decision to end Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir, and bifurcate the state into two Union Territories - Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh.

Shonali wrote, "For me the shock and anger at this unconstitutional act is laced with sorrow at how our own people must be feeling in this part of our country. Feelings we can only imagine - as there is still a blackout!"

The filmmaker said that she was with Zaira Wasim, who recently announced her decision to quit films in a long social media post, a day before the unprecedented move by the government. Shonali wrote, "On a personal level, I have never known anyone before in the State. But now I have a child there. Zaira Wasim - the heart and soul of The Sky is Pink. I have known her and her family over one year - spent marvelous times with them in both Srinagar and Jammu. I was with them in Jammu just a day before this happened. Zaira was very worried that something terrible was afoot because of the sudden influx of massive troops. I reassured her not dreaming something so draconian and unprecedented could be carried out."

Shonali said that she has not been able to contact Zaira ever since the abrogation of Article 370 was announced. The Valley has been grappling with a communication blackout for two weeks now. The filmmaker wrote, "And since then, I'm besides myself with worry at not being able to reach her. To give her strength at this difficult time. To wish them Eid Mubarak. I'm sure they couldn't celebrate it. We parted with the promise to stay in touch every day. Echoing a promise she and her brother make to each other in the film in a brilliantly acted and moving scene. But I can't reach my baby right now. #NotmyIndia"

Shonali Bose is the director of the upcoming film The Sky Is Pink. The film stars Zaira Wasim, Priyanka Chopra, Farhan Akhtar and Rohit Saraf in pivotal roles. The Sky Is Pink is Zaira's last film. In June this year, Dangal actress Zaira Wasim announced that she was quitting films because her choice of profession interfered with her religion.

When Amit Shah announced the abrogation of Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir, Zaira wrote on Twitter, "This too shall pass." It has been two weeks since Jammu and Kashmir was cut off from the rest of the country.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

Thank you shonali for showing courage and strength to call spade a spade without mincing your words..someone out there who values humanity over blind patriotism!

Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

So heart breaking 😭. Wish the valley could go back to the glorious era of the late 80s where loudspeakers blared warnings, asking Kashmiri Pandits to leave but to leave their women behind. That's when Kashmir truly delivered an ethnic cleansing for the ages. That's my #IdeaofIndia 👏.

Originally posted by: Cpt.DudleySmith

So heart breaking 😭. Wish the valley could go back to the glorious era of the late 80s where loudspeakers blared warnings, asking Kashmiri Pandits to leave but to leave their women behind. That's when Kashmir truly delivered an ethnic cleansing for the ages. That's my #IdeaofIndia 👏.

Also add  j&k is not kashmir only. For 70 years the other regions were ignored and their voices were never heard to just keep one region happy. Finally others were heard and the right decision has been taken to remove the article which is unacceptable in modern time.it is best way to stop terrorism.. No state can have its own laws.

P.s. life expectancy in j&k is among highest in the country but for the people who follow laws.

Edited by Ronaldo_fan - 4 years ago
MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

The same one who just quit the industry that employs her one fine day stating random reasons? It could well be that the "baby" is avoiding her and Ms.Bose is being delusional about it 😄

Originally posted by: cougarTown

Thank you shonali for showing courage and strength to call spade a spade without mincing your words..someone out there who values humanity over blind patriotism!

So why dont you guys protest against likes of hafeez saeed roaming freely and giving hate speeches attended by many people? Or masood azhar the other internationally wanted terrorist?   People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at others. Yes blind patriotism indeed when someone point fingers at india which took decision for our own state but not questioning their own country and yes dont come up with the excuse that we are helpless. Its ok, but dont try to point at india  when u cant question your own establishment. Yes i remember human  right viloation.  Bangladesh remember? 

Edited by Ronaldo_fan - 4 years ago
Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Ronaldo_fan

Also add  j&k is not kashmir only. For 70 years the other regions were ignored and their voices were never heard to just keep one region happy. Finally others were heard and the right decision has been taken to remove the article which is unacceptable in modern time.it is best way to stop terrorism.. No state can have its own laws.

P.s. life expectancy in j&k is among highest in the country but for the people who follow laws.

Unacceptable. This may be news to you but the people of Jammu and Ladakh don't count as humans. Ergo they don't have any human rights. Check mate.

kantalaga_ thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

^^

Coz Hafiz Saeed, Ossama bin Laden etc bringing name and fame to Porkistan and also peace ki mashiha ...

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

How about giving some ears to so-called Azad KAshmir citizens too ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Activists of PoK, Gilgit urge UN to stop Pakistan from carrying out atrocities on locals

ANI  |  Europe Last Updated at March 17, 2019 16:45 IST

Tiny URLAdd to My PagePrint Email

Pak dual side: Holds anti-India Kashmir conference in London, army cracks down Kashmiris in PoK

PoK activists hold anti-Pakistan protest in London

Pak cleverly changed complete demography of PoK, Gilgit-Baltistan: General Rawat

• An organization of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and Gilgit, seeking freedom of these areas from Pakistan, on Sunday urged the UN and world human rights bodies to intervene to end victimisation of locals by Pakistani forces.

The United Kashmir People's National Party (UKPNP) issued the appeal while referring to the assault by Pakistani forces and it's "stooges" on a peaceful rally organised on Saturday to commemorate 'National day of State of Jammu and Kashmir' at Rawalakot in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK).

On March 16, UKPNP had organised a peaceful rally at Rawalakot in Poonch to commemorate foundation and National Day of the erstwhile princely state. On this day in 1846, the state of Jammu and Kashmir was formed. The rally was halted and people were threatened and harassed by the police. Peaceful protesters were also threatened to stop waving the historical flag of the former princely state.

"This is a clear violation of freedom of association, freedom of peaceful assembly and freedom of expression and speech," said a press statement issued by leaders of the UKPNP.

The leaders, including exiled UKPNP Chairman Sardar Shaukat Ali Kashmiri, Secretary General Sardar Ishtiaq Hussain, Senior Vice Chair Sardar Aftab Khan, Vice Chair Raja Bashir Khan, Central Spokesperson Nasir Aziz Khan, President Foreign Affairs Committee Dr Shabir Chaudhry, secretary Foreign Affairs Committee Jamil Maqsood, Sardar Amjad Yousaf President Europe Zone, secretary Europe Zone Asif Abbas, Usman Kiyani President UK , Sajid Hussain, party leaders in North America Sardar Rasheed Yousaf, Zahid Hussain Khan, Mohammad Riaz Khan, said such acts show the real face and duplicity of Pakistan.

"On the one hand, Pakistan claims that she is champion of the right to self-determination of Kashmiri people, on the other hand, she doesn't allow peaceful rallies and gatherings of those Kashmiris who are living under its administration," the statement said.

"This is an open secret that since 1947 Pakistan has been systematically exploiting religious sentiments of Kashmiris and trying to snatch history, culture and identify of people of Jammu and Kashmir. Pakistan has been promoting religious hatred, intolerance and extremism and terrorism to communalise our society, to divide our motherland on the basis of religion," the leaders asserted.

UKPNP leaders also urged the United Nations, the International community and human rights organisations to intervene and ask Pakistan to stop the "victimisation of nationalist leaders" and respect all human rights including article 19 and 20 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Article 19 states that everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers and Article 20 (1) states that everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.

"UKPNP is the real voice of voiceless and deprived and marginalised people of so-called Azad Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan," the leaders said while reiterating that the peaceful struggle will continue for "complete independence" and "end of illegal occupation of Pakistan.

anjs thumbnail
    Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Senge Sering highlights Pakistan-China atrocities in PoK

M Ramesh  Chennai | Updated on March 21, 2019  Published on March 21, 2019

Senge Sering, Director, Institute of Gilgit-Baltistan Studies

The combine loots the region’s resources, says the Director of Institute of Gilgit-Baltistan Studies based in the US

“As of today, we have no constitutional rights, because we are not citizens of Pakistan,” says Senge Sering, Director of the Washington DC-based Institute of Gilgit-Baltistan Studies.

In a speech on Thursday organised here by the Observers Research Foundation’s Chennai Chapter, Sering, who hails from Gilgit-Baltistan, the northernmost territory administered by Pakistan, spoke about how the locals are being subjugated, and their rights and resources taken away by the Pakistan-China combine.

Gilgit-Baltistan, often known as G-B, came under Pakistan’s control after the country seized it in 1947, is a region of about half a million people, predominantly Shia Muslims. The region is rich in mineral and water resources, which are being systematically plundered by Pakistan.

Sering said that Pakistan would let China mine resources. All the equipment and personnel would come from China and commission would go to Pakistan. The locals would get nothing. Worse, sometimes the place would be environmentally affected — for example, Chinese copper mining in the Gindai valley affected the local glacier. When the locals protested, the Pakistani authorities branded them as ‘terrorists’ and jailed them.

Nil compensation

“China has literally a blank cheque,” Sering said. The celebrated China-Pakistan Economic Corridor passes through G-B, but the locals get no compensation for lands taken away.

While G-B has its own government set up — an Assembly and a Chief Minister, neither has any powers; the real powers vest with the Council, which is filled with Pakistanis.

The police apparatus is mostly from Pakistan. When Pakistan’s National Accountability Bureau — an autonomous, federal body ostensibly meant to check corruption, but effectively keeps an eye on politicians on behalf of the army — wanted to open an office in G-B, it took over the only centre in the region for the handicapped.

“They are so ruthless,” Sering said. The move sparked some protests by persons who use wheel-chairs. When the local Law Minister spoke in their favour, a Pakistani soldier grabbed the Minister by the scruff of his neck and led him away. The minister later complained to the Chief Minister about the incident, but the CM said nothing could be done about it. That is “how helpless and marginalised our people are.”

The Chinese built a hydro electric dam in G-B but no compensation was given for the displaced. Land confiscation is common, Sering said.

Worst of all is families divided because of the closure of the Skardu-Kargil road. The Baltis come from Tibet and the families are spread over the Ladakh-G-B region, but the road linking the Indian and PoK part is closed. Sering observed that while Pakistan keeps the Wagah border and the Kartarpur corridor open, it does keeps the Skardu-Kargil road closed — an example of how badly it treats the people of G-B.

Sering spoke of the human rights violations in the region, where protesters are proscribed. If the protesters are not jailed their movement is restricted, they lose jobs; many are on ‘exit control list’, which means they can’t leave the country. Sering himself is on the list. “If I go back to my country, I can’t ever leave it,” he said. Apart from these, there is systematic persecution on religious grounds, because G-B is mostly Shias, while Pakistan is predominantly of Sunni Muslims.

India’s help sought

Sering said that since India claims G-B to be its own, it should help the region. He pointed out that India’s stature in the world is high, as evidenced by the fact that after Balakot bombings no country supported Pakistan. Now is the time for India to start claiming G-B. India should not miss this opportunity, he said, adding wryly that “India is known for missing opportunities.”

“The way it can be done is by establishing a relationship with G-B,” he said. The people of G-B look at the developments in Ladakh, such as the establishment of a Hill Council, and hope to be a part of India.

“Help G-B, help us enjoy the same constitutional rights as Ladakh,” Sering said.