Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pradarshak thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Spending 40$ million for school plus the maintenance cost of the school, staff and every student year after year to produce 152 or so grads. every year sounded at first too big and extravagant. She could have spend this amount to help a lot more than that no. Looked like she wished to be in news with a big show-off of her money.

But I think she is doing the right thing(though kind of experiment, but no risk no gain), where no one dared to tread ever. She is a bussiness-woman, she would know better where to put her money. She did not just picked some poor girls, she picked the ones with good academic record inspite of living in poverty. Making a difference in their lives, a life only rich n famous can live. Hope their resume will weigh well enough compared to other high standard schools. I am sure this will inspire other poor girls in SA to study well in order to get admission in Oprah's school.

There is lot of hullabaloo mainly becoz she did not choose to make the school in USA. In USA going to school is the fundamental right of every kid, where as not in countries in Africa. In USA most of the families are self-sufficient, whether you study or not you will never have to worry about food-cloth-shelter. At least a job is reserved to flip a burger in Mc. D or work in a Wal-mart store. So, not much drive to study better. American-Africam girls use lot of their money and energy in looking good, right from hair to toe, and being fashionable. Most American-African men can imagine to get rich by rapping, basket-ball playing or drug-peddling. Also another thing would be if majority students would have been American-Africans in USA, then the issue of being racial would have arised. At least in SA the ratio of black people: white people is 9:1. Only 10% white people. Another reason for the uproar may be it is very hard to digest by many white people that why spending so much money on some poor black African girls. With the kind of background they have, do they deserve that kind of life?

I think it's a revolution man! Appreciate it or not. May God bless her. She does not want to have her own kid. She is making all the money to pass it to the people who need it the most, living no rightful heir, no trust-fund. Is'nt that great!
lighthouse thumbnail

To quote someone - "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

$40 mill, 152 girls (450 is goal) and 28 buildings that is 5.5 kids per building. Pretty sad. 3,500 girls applied. I wonder if she told the other 3,350 girls that they couldn't come because the 150 needed a yoga studio and a beauty salon. Too bad the other 3350 girls who don't have the "it factor" I guess they will remain losers.

"When I first started making a lot of money," Oprah says, "I really became frustrated with the fact that all I did was write check after check to this or that charity without really feeling like it was a part of me. At a certain point, you want to feel that connection."

Oprah is doing this for herself. Picture 150 super elite African girls vs. 3500 girls with a standard no spa education. She's building an army to fight human war with 152 Oprahs. ๐Ÿ˜†

I appreciate the sentiment. It is her money. She can take all of her money, put it into a pile and have a bonfire and it would be ok too. But she makes it our business to know what a great person she is for giving small portion of her paycheck. Why is she doing it publicly, showing off her school to the world to heap praise on herself. CNN had an hour long special this week. Newsweek is covering it as a major story.

"I have no doubt that this school will produce the future leaders of Africa," she said. "I'm so excited."

I'm sure this gives Oprah plenty of instant gratification right now, but we will have to wait for a decade or so to see what countries these girls will lead.

Which elite school did Nelson Mandela, MLK, Gandhi, and she go to? Born to teenage parents and raised by a grandmother, Oprah had impoverished childhood and has turned into the richest and most powerful woman/celebrity/Black person in the world. It doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, the ability to triumph begins with you โ€” always

Frankly her statement that it was her promise to Africa puzzles me. Shouldn't it be South Africa? I don't see how her opening a leadership school in South Africa (a country) benefits the whole of Africa...

I was born and grew up in Africa. Can't say I agree with the Yoga and Salon being the need of the hour.. Maybe a tractor to help grow some food or consider schools for primary education first. Her academy is for girls starting age 11-12.
Or another option is just to give the cash to the Gates Foundation. Warren Buffet did. They seem to know what they are doing and support a lot of education projects.

I rest my case.

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maya_M

That comment is inconsiderate. Why just a celebrity? Even a common man wouldn't do anything for free. Why is it that a man with less means makes a donation is considered a noble act but a rich person's intentions for charity is questioned?

Oops..I meant free of publicity. You and I don't call press and have hour long CNN special when we donate.

lighthouse thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maya_M

If she had helped 10000 kids then you still would have posted your POV as 10001 girl.

Note- By 'you' I don't mean you but all those who is making it a big deal.

No I wouldn't have. Because I know not everyone can be helped. $40 million goes a long way in a 3rd world country ... It is a concern about utilizing her resources efficiently for greater good.

lighthouse thumbnail
Originally posted by: T.

Well, at least she's educating 152 girls instead of buying 152 mink coats or 152 pieces of bling.

Don't worry... When these girls are transformed into snoby divas , nothing but a real mink coat will do. ๐Ÿ˜‰

sareg thumbnail
Originally posted by: lighthouse

Don't worry... When these girls are transformed into snoby divas , nothing but a real mink coat will do. ๐Ÿ˜‰

cant we look at

ok, there is this woman who is doing a good deed to 152 people and building them to become just like her(meaning doing doing more good deeds๐Ÿ˜‰)

Pay it forward kindda๐Ÿ˜‰

lighthouse thumbnail
Originally posted by: sareg

ok, there is this woman who is doing a good deed to 152 people and building them to become just like her(meaning doing doing more good deeds๐Ÿ˜‰)

Pay it forward kindda๐Ÿ˜‰

Cloning..!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜† . We don't need scientists, Oprah can do it with her money. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
jprasad thumbnail
Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Well said Maya.

It is not the good gesture that I usually criticize, but the big drama associated with it that makes it look like a gimmick. (in general, this doesn;t have to be Oprah in particular)
I do understand that even if celebrities tried to do their charity in secracy, media will not allow that! That's a shame.

๐Ÿคข ๐Ÿคข i was sick of the news about barefeet bachchans walking to siddhivinayak temple ๐Ÿคข ๐Ÿคข

Hey Mermaid, did u know that the Bachans walked barefoot to the siddhivinayak temple.  ๐Ÿ˜›
Pradarshak thumbnail
It's true going to a great school not necessarily make great person. But not to forget, Gandhi was son of a Diwan, Mandela belongs to a Royal dynasty of SA, what I mean is none has come from rags. Gandhi(he did law in some British Univs.), Mandela have some good higher education to their credit. Another example, Ranindranath never went to school or college in his life, or any degree from abroad. He did home-schooling, different teachers for each subject including extra-curriculum. He lived his life like a prince. But Oprah is a true exception, she knows the true meaning of poverty. She knows that she is a very lucky lady and knows exactly what is lacking. She, in true sense, made it from rags to riches on her own capability. Please don't compare Oprah with Bill Gates or Warren Buffet. These guys too were born with silver spoons in their mouth. In modern history, growing up in poverty or mediocre atmosphere has seldom produced world leaders or great personalities. The main ingredients are personal capability, hard work, good education, good financial support and little bit luck/opportunity on your side - which Oprah dreams of providing to those kids.

I agree with the fact that Oprah always makes in big in front of the world whatever she does. At times watching her shows is annoying too, seeing her doing little bit of bragging about herself and her life-style. But I guess that's a common psychology and behaviour for a person that too a lady(in the man's world) who made it so huge from the poverty-stricken childhood to a rich celebrity. She must feel truly great whenever she helps those who live in the same state as she once had.

Choosing SA in the African continent I would say is a good decision. How many other African countries can promise the kind of security or stability required?

About doing in USA, even Bill Gates keeps cursing the education system in USA. Students and authority don't have much interest in learning and teaching science, maths and engg. His "High Tech High" in San Diego is one example bashing the existing education system.
Edited by Pradarshak - 17 years ago