Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jprasad thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Oprah has spend her own money for a noble cause, though definitely that sounds extravagant. Somehow I feel in a mixed way.

May be she is right in building the school in SA, an environment which is different from USA. May be she visioned something different for them which hardly any American-African or African can ever dream of enjoying and achieving in their life. Instead of helping thousands and make thousands of mediocre people she has chosen 152(hand-picked by herself) in order to make some well-recognized world-class people by studing in her world-class prestigious school. May be in turn, that kind of good education and growing up in that kind of environment will help them to help the people of their own community in a big way like Oprah.

Also feel with that amount of money she could have helped a lot more people. To be a part of a "rich and famous" crowd one need to go to a school which can provide saloon-spa-yoga centre and other stuff instead of stressing only on the most important thing, i.e., education. Looks like having those lavish amenities is required to be acknowledged as a prestigious school in today's world.

very well said.  That is exactly what I was thinking.  It is like going to Stanford or Harvard.  Those schools are looking for students who will make a difference in the world.  These girls may sit in a salon and get their nails done or get a massage and think wow, if I study hard and make money I can always have these luxuries. 

As the story doesn't give the details of what Oprah is doing with 40 mil for one school.  It may be given as an endowment.  Working at a university, I have seen many times where someone gets into the news for giving a lump sum gift, but it comes in the form of an endowment so the money is not being spent all at once.

Also, Oprah says that she is tired of helping people who don't appreciate it.  For the girls it is a rags to riches story.  If America is so worried about how their money is spent, then we need to stop spending so much on the war and focus on our own society. 

I suppose there is also the side to it that she wants to help Africa...her country of descent.  Her ancestors were brought here as slaves.  For her to give money back to Africa that a "white" person from the United States has given to her can also be viewed as a reparation.

Originally posted by: lighthouse

They say a celebrity will not do anything for free... How true...

That comment is inconsiderate. Why just a celebrity? Even a common man wouldn't do anything for free. Why is it that a man with less means makes a donation is considered a noble act but a rich person's intentions for charity is questioned?

Originally posted by: lighthouse

I am thinking from the pov of the girl (153rd) who did not make the selection.

If she had helped 10000 kids then you still would have posted your POV as 10001 girl.

Note- By 'you' I don't mean you but all those who is making it a big deal.

Originally posted by: sareg

she donated the money, someone is going to benefit from it

yup that is how a charitable contribution is defined in this part of the world😉

Straight and apt. That is how I think of it. In my opinion we are giving unduly importance to such celebrity acts.

Morgoth thumbnail

Well, at least she's educating 152 girls instead of buying 152 mink coats or 152 pieces of bling.

Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Instead of helping thousands and make thousands of mediocre people she has chosen 152(hand-picked by herself) in order to make some well-recognized world-class people by studing in her world-class prestigious school. May be in turn, that kind of good education and growing up in that kind of environment will help them to help the people of their own community in a big way like Oprah.

Completely agree with you, Riju. 👏

datspreets thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I agree $40 millions is too huge for educating 150 girls, but why can't we see the positive side of it? Atleast she's done something.

WE criticize celebs for being insensative to worl needs, but when they do something, we ne dup criticising them again!

Do you love critising? 😳

How many of us are giving back to the community? Can the students who studied in poverty or without luxury only give back to the community? Most private schools in India have A/C now whereas other schools still manage with fans. Will the students who come out of schools with fans only excel in "good" fields and the A/C ones become ramp models?

Whether its 152 or 1520 or 10000 people will still criticize any good gesture by a famous celebrity.

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail
Well said Maya.

It is not the good gesture that I usually criticize, but the big drama associated with it that makes it look like a gimmick. (in general, this doesn;t have to be Oprah in particular)
I do understand that even if celebrities tried to do their charity in secracy, media will not allow that! That's a shame.

🤢 🤢 i was sick of the news about barefeet bachchans walking to siddhivinayak temple 🤢 🤢

QT, That's exactly what I mentioned in one of the previous posts that we give unduly importance to such acts by celebrities.

I too am tired of reading Bachchans' visit to Sidhivinayak every now and then. People say Salman Khan hides his charity work but each and every donation is reported by media. I wonder if they do it anonymously then how does the media learn it😉

changabula thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Well said Maya.

It is not the good gesture that I usually criticize, but the big drama associated with it that makes it look like a gimmick.

But the whole point of it was to have publicity. She wanted to show what one individual can do.

I saw an interview of her on Newsnight, BBC2, in the UK. She didn't hold back in saying why she did it. But what came across to me was the message for all the new rich black Afro-Americans who have done well for themselves but who do not lift a finger to help their people.

I suppose there is a lesson we can learn from her. We should not criticize those who help other men by ascribing ulterior-motives to them but we should try to help our people. Even if we can do it only it for one individual.
  Edited by changabula - 17 years ago