What happened to PC's Hollywood career? ( BBC article)

Fluffyalexis thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

The visibility of South Asian men in non-stereotypical lead roles on screen is set to continue into the autumn with Armando Iannucci’s take on David Copperfield, with Dev Patel in the lead role. 

The jobs that I have done in the last year have had nothing to do with my ethnicity,” says Patel. “I’ve been in two period pieces, which is another door opening now.It’s something you wouldn’t have imagined a few years ago.

But what about female stars?

Sadly, change doesn’t seem to be coming as quickly for female stars of South Asian origin, who aside from Kaling, are still struggling to land leading roles without an ethnic bent in films made in the West. Indian actress Priyanka Chopra was the first South Asian to headline an American network drama series, FBI thriller Quantico, in 2015. However since then, good roles have not been forthcoming for her outside Bollywood. Equally, Freida Pinto has not had the opportunities of her male Slumdog co-star Dev Patel

While leading men of South Asian heritage are breaking out, it is still much more of a struggle for their female counterparts like Priyanka Chopra

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

Takes time, hasn’t even been a year since Quantico ended. Priyanka got married, shot a Bollywood movie, and began production on films and tv in the US and India. 

Fluffyalexis thumbnail

I wish to see PC in bond films! 

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

She has been releasing a movie a year since 2017 in Hollywood. That's not bad. Freida Pinto disappeared but some South Asian women like Mindy Kaling, Padma Lakshmi, Lily Singh are thriving. Stardom is holistic. Not just movies. Let's wait and watch if PC also fades or can thrive. 

Glitter_In_Eye thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

It's too soon to comment and pass the judgement. Let's give her some more time.

Fluffyalexis thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

She has been releasing a movie a year since 2017 in Hollywood. That's not bad. Freida Pinto disappeared but some South Asian women like Mindy Kaling, Padma Lakshmi, Lily Singh are thriving. Stardom is holistic. Not just movies. Let's wait and watch if PC also fades or can thrive. 

Yes mindy is rocking despite not having  traditional good looks.  It's sad how Indian media completely overlook her 

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

She has been releasing a movie a year since 2017 in Hollywood. That's not bad.  

yeah but those movies suck lol