Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NotATVBuff thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: _symphony

When people will stop imagining him like Shravan and start accepting him as an actor, he will start looking convincing (to them). It wasn't his sophisticated personality or his charm that helped him through EDKV. It was his sheer acting acumen. And also how well Shravan was written. It was a lethal combo because I have seen Dilip Jha's other show in bits and pieces and the other hero was only okayish even despite his was an equally complicated character like Shravan. The truth is the kind of characters Mr. Jha writes, no one in industry does.  Gul, Ekta, Prateek Sharma, Rashmi Sharma, Cinevistaas none. Even all the popular shows right now, all MLs are more or less same. Parth, Zain, Shaheer, KSG, Pearl all are playing very straight forward characters like Angad. So I really don't understand why the onus of showing all the extra ordinary acting abilities in normal shows lies on Namik even when the character doesn't need it. And just because he did a highly complex and intellectual role in in EDKV. No one can convince the stuck up EDKV fans to come out of that show and Shravan. Because if you expect him to pull another Shravan, then that ain't happening unless that kind of character is written. Untill then happy disappointment (: 

Agree on your analysis of different actors playing a well written role according to potential. But I also feel that most actors you have listed above play “straightforward” better than Namik. So that is where he is perceived as unconvincing.

_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: NotATVBuff

Agree on your analysis of different actors playing a well written role according to potential. But I also feel that most actors you have listed above play “straightforward” better than Namik. So that is where he is perceived as unconvincing.

That's your opinion! Each one to their own :-)

Edited by _symphony - 4 years ago
NotATVBuff thumbnail

That's your opinion! Each one to their own :-)

Oh yes, ofcourse! I thought it was quite clear from your post and mine but thanks for clarifying just in case.

Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6

When people will stop imagining him like Shravan and start accepting him as an actor, he will start looking convincing (to them). It wasn't his sophisticated personality or his charm that helped him through EDKV. It was his sheer acting acumen. And also how well Shravan was written. It was a lethal combo because I have seen Dilip Jha's other show in bits and pieces and the other hero was only okayish even despite his was an equally complicated character like Shravan. The truth is the kind of characters Mr. Jha writes, no one in industry does.  Gul, Ekta, Prateek Sharma, Rashmi Sharma, Cinevistaas none. Even all the popular shows right now, all MLs are more or less same. Parth, Zain, Shaheer, KSG, Pearl all are playing very straight forward characters like Angad. So I really don't understand why the onus of showing all the extra ordinary acting abilities in normal shows lies on Namik even when the character doesn't need it. And just because he did a highly complex and intellectual role in in EDKV. No one can convince the stuck up EDKV fans to come out of that show and Shravan. Because if you expect him to pull another Shravan, then that ain't happening unless that kind of character is written. Untill then happy disappointment (: 

exactly...break the shravan effect n you will love angad...shravan n angad are two different personalities....i don't understand why people wants to see shravan in shiv n angad...like seriously all 3 characters are different n namik has bring in all the diverse differences in the characters yet people wants to see shravan in all his characters....shravan is an iconic character...it can never be recreated but shiv n angad are great in their personalities...i love shravan but i don't try to find shravan in angad since i know both are different in nature n personalities...shravan is complex and angad is straight forward...i am just loving namik portraying shades of angad...

Edited by Mages - 4 years ago
Shish thumbnail

I don't find Namik hot or good looking. I find him average on acting skills. I liked Vikram in ek deewana tha. I like Kapil in this show

indranigupta thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

When I first saw your post I found it a pretty interesting question, one which seeks to know a lil more about the intricate relationship between acting and genre of a drama. However, when I read your post, I found it had nothing to with the question itself. Before, I explain what I mean, let me discuss about your views regarding the show being sleazy. I don't know if that label can be implied for this show but, yes it employs crass dialogues and the plot as of now deals with matters we would rather not discuss. A ghost seeking to consummate with a living person to create an army of demons/ghosts is weird and seemingly vulgar. If there are other trajectories to the plot, well, we can then discuss further on this. As of now, I would leave it by saying that the show belies its own promise with the way it started. Now we come to the main issue raised by your post. 

Acting, genre and their relationship. In your post, the acting of the whole cast wasn't put under the scanner. In fact, acting chops of Deepika and Vin was ignored. Only one actor was put under the scanner and was found wanting - Namik. And in trying to insist that he was a passable actor, you included his whole oeuvre of work starting from EDKV (which doesn't fall under the same genre of a horror/supernatural and in fact, is a romantic family drama) to that of EDT and now Kawach (both falling under the same genre of horror and supernatural). Since, your post raised the question pertaining to the relation of horror and acting, your judgement of Namik's acting in relation to genre falls flat. If we disregard your academic mistake here and come to your main issue of acting vis -a- vis genre, you didnt care to give much space to other actor's credentials. Only Namik. ..This seems like your revulsion against this actor stems from an old dislike. One which can be seen in your replies to other fan/s. 

Since, you took pains to explicate his lack of acting credentials from his whole body of work, let me see if I can bring in another point of view. EDKV (not a horror drama) was a show which on paper was very simple. Two friends who loved each other due to personality and other external problems couldn't articulate their love for each other till the very end. But, this simple show demanded complex psychological behavioural traits to manifest on the part of the main leads (Namik and Nikita) to portray their struggle, contradictions and a love which despite themselves made itself manifest. Despite the story and direction going downhill in the later stages of the show, Namik's characterization was not only consistent, full of raw naked passion, a portrayal of an emotionally volatile man infested with an uber sophisticated charm. The show despite not being a TRP success allowed Namik to enter into many people's consciousness as a man who could act because he believed, willed and strived. 

Let's come to your next show where Namik miserably failed - EDT. A show which till about 60 episodes offered him no space to manouevre, forget to show his acting credentials. However, after 60 and note barely for only few episodes here and there and also, with a badly written script, he managed to invest the character of Shiv with warmth and a rare vulnerability not seen on ITV male leads. Notice, am not comparing his acting talents with other actors primarily because your disgust is targeted at him alone. Though you did suggest that Vikram was way better than him in this show; a comparison which was clearly unwanted and undesirable. Why you may ask? Let me ask you a question in lieu of your judgement of someone's acting. How exactly do you judge whether someone acts well? Given the space and the characterization one has been offered, one needs to make the plot, the narrative resonate in the minds of people. Vikram got a more interesting character though it turned out to be negative at the fag end of the show and yet his acting never managed to lift the story from the abyss. Poor direction and poor writing yes, but also, because Vikram unfortunately couldn't interpret the role of a psychologically challanged man who was also a lover. Or, as your post raised the question, we can blame it on the genre, where the emphasis is primarily to create suspense and fear of the unknown both of which this show was unable to sustain.

Last, Kawach, Namik initially had one shade to play - a soft romantic lover given to possessiveness as well. Did he do good here? I would say in the initial episodes, he was passable with few good scenes here and there. Later, as one possessed by a ghost, his transformation was very good. He managed to provide more colour to the persona of the ghost, who now moved beyond the representation of a lusty one. This possessed man was now funny, irreverent, devilish, cranky, and snarky simultaneously. Despite the show not raising its horror quotient or suspense element and it definitely being not much high on human emotion, you wanted to know more about his character, the ghost's and the plot itself. For a show which is uniformly one toned, this is remarkable on the part of an actor who if I may, offer an opinion, is doing a commendable job. 

And last  whether in such genres, do talent and abilities matter, I would say yes. Because no genre appeals till it manages to affect human sympathies and emotions. Though the stress is mostly on VFX's and all, human emotions can endear in each and every situation.

NotATVBuff thumbnail

Originally posted by: indranigupta

When I first saw your post I found it a pretty interesting question, one which seeks to know a lil more about the intricate relationship between acting and genre of a drama. However, when I read your post, I found it had nothing to with the question itself. Before, I explain what I mean, let me discuss about your views regarding the show being sleazy. I don't know if that label can be implied for this show but, yes it employs crass dialogues and the plot as of now deals with matters we would rather not discuss. A ghost seeking to consummate with a living person to create an army of demons/ghosts is weird and seemingly vulgar. If there are other trajectories to the plot, well, we can then discuss further on this. As of now, I would leave it by saying that the show belies its own promise with the way it started. Now we come to the main issue raised by your post. 

Acting, genre and their relationship. In your post, the acting of the whole cast wasn't put under the scanner. In fact, acting chops of Deepika and Vin was ignored. Only one actor was put under the scanner and was found wanting - Namik. And in trying to insist that he was a passable actor, you included his whole oeuvre of work starting from EDKV (which doesn't fall under the same genre of a horror/supernatural and in fact, is a romantic family drama) to that of EDT and now Kawach (both falling under the same genre of horror and supernatural). Since, your post raised the question pertaining to the relation of horror and acting, your judgement of Namik's acting in relation to genre falls flat. If we disregard your academic mistake here and come to your main issue of acting vis -a- vis genre, you didnt care to give much space to other actor's credentials. Only Namik. ..This seems like your revulsion against this actor stems from an old dislike. One which can be seen in your replies to other fan/s. 

Since, you took pains to explicate his lack of acting credentials from his whole body of work, let me see if I can bring in another point of view. EDKV (not a horror drama) was a show which on paper was very simple. Two friends who loved each other due to personality and other external problems couldn't articulate their love for each other till the very end. But, this simple show demanded complex psychological behavioural traits to manifest on the part of the main leads (Namik and Nikita) to portray their struggle, contradictions and a love which despite themselves made itself manifest. Despite the story and direction going downhill in the later stages of the show, Namik's characterization was not only consistent, full of raw naked passion, a portrayal of an emotionally volatile man infested with an uber sophisticated charm. The show despite not being a TRP success allowed Namik to enter into many people's consciousness as a man who could act because he believed, willed and strived. 

Let's come to your next show where Namik miserably failed - EDT. A show which till about 60 episodes offered him no space to manouevre, forget to show his acting credentials. However, after 60 and note barely for only few episodes here and there and also, with a badly written script, he managed to invest the character of Shiv with warmth and a rare vulnerability not seen on ITV male leads. Notice, am not comparing his acting talents with other actors primarily because your disgust is targeted at him alone. Though you did suggest that Vikram was way better than him in this show; a comparison which was clearly unwanted and undesirable. Why you may ask? Let me ask you a question in lieu of your judgement of someone's acting. How exactly do you judge whether someone acts well? Given the space and the characterization one has been offered, one needs to make the plot, the narrative resonate in the minds of people. Vikram got a more interesting character though it turned out to be negative at the fag end of the show and yet his acting never managed to lift the story from the abyss. Poor direction and poor writing yes, but also, because Vikram unfortunately couldn't interpret the role of a psychologically challanged man who was also a lover. Or, as your post raised the question, we can blame it on the genre, where the emphasis is primarily to create suspense and fear of the unknown both of which this show was unable to sustain.

Last, Kawach, Namik initially had one shade to play - a soft romantic lover given to possessiveness as well. Did he do good here? I would say in the initial episodes, he was passable with few good scenes here and there. Later, as one possessed by a ghost, his transformation was very good. He managed to provide more colour to the persona of the ghost, who now moved beyond the representation of a lusty one. This possessed man was now funny, irreverent, devilish, cranky, and snarky simultaneously. Despite the show not raising its horror quotient or suspense element and it definitely being not much high on human emotion, you wanted to know more about his character, the ghost's and the plot itself. For a show which is uniformly one toned, this is remarkable on the part of an actor who if I may, offer an opinion, is doing a commendable job. 

And last  whether in such genres, do talent and abilities matter, I would say yes. Because no genre appeals till it manages to affect human sympathies and emotions. Though the stress is mostly on VFX's and all, human emotions can endear in each and every situation.

Thanks for yet another detailed analysis on Namik’s acting abilities. Through this post, I had just voiced my opinion and expected some discussion around it but it has unintentionally moved towards dissecting Namik’s performances alone (my first post also mentions that I have seen him earlier and not others so I cannot contribute much about them) and this includes your post. Members are free to analyse Dipika and Vin performances vis-a-vis genre and their past performances too but that has’nt happened. So it appears that Namik has been cornered and somebody needs to come forward and defend him. Unfortunately, that was not the intent.

Dangelz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Interesting discussion topic! 

My opinion in terms of the acting of the three leads differs here because I have always said right from the beginning of this show that Ekta has done some great casting for this show! I personally feel Namik, Deepika and Vin all are interesting casting choices and are all doing a decent job with their characters. I have seen bits and pieces of their previous projects as well, so I am familiar with the acting abilities of all 3 leads. 

In terms of character sketch, I feel Vin has the most intriguing and most experimental character sketch which gives him more of an edge to perform and do different transitions. I personally think he's doing a fab job with the transitions and shades in his character. If his acting wasn't convincing, his character would have fallen flat. Kind of like what Sara Khan's acting as Manjulika did in the previous season of Kawach in my personal opinion.

Deepika is doing a decent job and has managed to develop great chemistry with both her male leads, but I feel she can improve in terms of expressions especially in scary scenes which is important this kind of genre. Namik's character started off with limited shades and scope to perform, cause his character is meant to be the typical male lead. But now I feel with the current possession track, Namik has more scope to perform and do various transitions within his character. 

So in response to the actual question if acting counts in a horror show, then I feel yes it does! To some extent, acting is important in a horror show depending on the characterizations. The rest of it of course depends on the execution of the storyline, suspense/thrill elements and special effects. Also, as you mentioned a physical appeal to the show and the importance of leads looking good has something to do with attracting audiences too. If you notice, most supernatural shows have good-looking actors (whether they are positive or negative) and physical appeal.

NotATVBuff thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dangelz

Interesting discussion topic! 

My opinion in terms of the acting of the three leads differs here because I have always said right from the beginning of this show that Ekta has done some great casting for this show! I personally feel Namik, Deepika and Vin all are interesting casting choices and are all doing a decent job with their characters. I have seen bits and pieces of their previous projects as well, so I am familiar with the acting abilities of all 3 leads. 

In terms of character sketch, I feel Vin has the most intriguing and most experimental character sketch which gives him more of an edge to perform and do different transitions. I personally think he's doing a fab job with the transitions and shades in his character. If his acting wasn't convincing, his character would have fallen flat. Kind of like what Sara Khan's acting as Manjulika did in the previous season of Kawach in my personal opinion.

Deepika is doing a decent job and has managed to develop great chemistry with both her male leads, but I feel she can improve in terms of expressions especially in scary scenes which is important this kind of genre. Namik's character started off with limited shades and scope to perform, cause his character is meant to be the typical male lead. But now I feel with the current possession track, Namik has more scope to perform and do various transitions within his character. 

So in response to the actual question if acting counts in a horror show, then I feel yes it does! To some extent, acting is important in a horror show depending on the characterizations. The rest of it of course depends on the execution of the storyline, suspense/thrill elements and special effects. Also, as you mentioned a physical appeal to the show and the importance of leads looking good has something to do with attracting audiences too. If you notice, most supernatural shows have good-looking actors (whether they are positive or negative) and physical appeal.

Yup, agree that Vin’s character started off as intriguing but it was only intriguing till the point he was spotted and put into the box by the Sadhu. Not very intrigued by the two year mystery though. Given that he has had the least amount of screen presence, he has held onto his own until now. One thing that bothered me about him were his Marathi dialogues - hasnt got them quite right yet.

Agree with almost everthing you have to say about Dipika. She has lot of opportunity to improvise as she enjoys most of the screen time. In terms of chemistry, Angad-Sandhya romance is simply thrust upon the audience in the beginning  then the misunderstanding/ Kapil revelation tilting it more in their favour. I feel Kapil-Sandhya chemistry was the one that actually got established at the first go itself because it made Angad look like the wrong guy.  

As far as Angad’s character is concerned, it is too good or too foolish to be true. The only advantage I see for this character is that it has more screen time compared to Kapil to showcase anything that the story/script allows him to.

Gauging by the proceedings so far, the scope for all of them going forward in terms of acting would be limited to the “twists and turns” which are more important than the characters or their motivations. Even a side character like Angad’s ex-girlfriend who seemed to have moved on and pretty okay with Angad marrying Sandhya and wanting to clear the misunderstanding with Sandhya about their current status suddenly did a u-turn just so somebody could go and release the captive spirits. Also, the supporting cast is not very impactful, just about anybody could have played the families/friends.

Ravthereader thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: NotATVBuff

Glad you noticed 😇. Could you recommend something better so I could move on and leave you guys in peace 😃 

Guess I just hung on to see what TRP audience is lapping up these days. Plain curiosity 😊

I can recommend you some shows if you want😊