Does “acting” count in a horror show?

Posted: 4 years ago

Hi All,

I am new to the forum but have been following it for some time now. This is my first post ever :-)

I wonder if there is any weightage given to the acting skills of the cast in a show like Kawach. Right now, I find that the focus is more on just making them look good. Acting wise I find it pretty average for all the 3 leads. I have seen Namik before in EDKV and bits of EDT and now in Kawach so far and I am almost sure that he needs a good director to get great acting out of him otherwise he is just about passable as an actor and his looks and body overshadow it to a large extent. I have not seen Vin and Dipika earlier but not quite impressed by their acting talent either.

I also find the show to be borderline sleazy. I guess these things have a lot to do with the genre. Your opinions are most welcome.

I won't comment on Vin and Dipika as they don't interest me. 

I like Namik so I'll cut him some slack.  It's a career move for him, that much is evident. He looks unconvincing and ill-at- ease in the entire set-up, be it the sets, the garish clothes or the role itself. There is a reason Namik is best remembered for his role as Shravan Malhotra. His innate charm and urban polish carried him through that role.

In Kavach he needs to mold himself differently to appeal to a very different audience, once he gets the hang of that, he'll do better. I personally don't like most of what this PH offers but I cannot discount their immense reach and success across all the channels. Namik is known to be a diligent and hard worker, hopefully this experience will see him grow in his craft.

Acting should count but, I don't think, they pay much attention to it. Most attention is paid to special effects and shock factor.

both guys are doing a much better job than the heroine. Her expressions (more like facial contortions) when she is supposedly scared are weird. She is a better actress than this. 

Originally posted by LeenaRG

I like Namik so I'll cut him some slack.  It's a career move for him, that much is evident. He looks unconvincing and ill-at- ease in the entire set-up, be it the sets, the garish clothes or the role itself. There is a reason Namik is best remembered for his role as Shravan Malhotra. His innate charm and urban polish carried him through that role.

In Kavach he needs to mold himself differently to appeal to a very different audience, once he gets the hang of that, he'll do better. I personally don't like most of what this PH offers but I cannot discount their immense reach and success across all the channels. Namik is known to be a diligent and hard worker, hopefully this experience will see him grow in his craft.

It is very kind of you to support your favourite like this 😊

As somebody who enjoys good performances and content coming from anyone, the only silver lining I see for Namik here is that he has a slight edge over Vin unlike his previous outing where Vikram (with more or less same amount of experience) came across far more convincing in an equally shoddy script.

Edited by NotATVBuff - 4 years ago

Originally posted by NotATVBuff

It is very kind of you to support your favourite like this 😊

As somebody who enjoys good performances and content coming from anyone, the only silver lining I see for Namik here is that he has a slight edge over Vin unlike his previous outing where Vikram (with more or less same amount of experience) came across far more convincing in an equally shoddy script.

Yes, that was one shoddily made show😆 I'll take your word for it if you think Vikram was more convincing, although I didn't notice him much through whatever I saw of the show. 

I don't have any favorites, I just like some actors more than others. I also don't hate any actors, I just choose to avoid watching them. That's the beauty of TV I guess.

I wish Namik hadn't done this show, but I understand his reasons fo taking it up.  For his sake and mine, since I like watching him on screen, I hope this experiment pays off.

Nice talking to you.

The show is sleazy, actors are bad. Why are you watching 😂

Originally posted by _symphony

The show is sleazy, actors are bad. Why are you watching 😂

Glad you noticed 😇. Could you recommend something better so I could move on and leave you guys in peace 😃 

Guess I just hung on to see what TRP audience is lapping up these days. Plain curiosity 😊

Glad you noticed 😇. Could you recommend something better so I could move on and leave you guys in peace 😃 

Guess I just hung on to see what TRP audience is lapping up these days. Plain curiosity 😊

I am already watching what you don't like. 😄So I guess even if I do recommend, our choices might not coincide.  😊

Maybe don't watch ITV and just watch some american shows online (netflix if you have it). My sister has been hounding me to stop watching indian serials and start watching How to get away with murder on netflix.  😆

Originally posted by LeenaRG

When people will stop imagining him like Shravan and start accepting him as an actor, he will start looking convincing (to them). It wasn't his sophisticated personality or his charm that helped him through EDKV. It was his sheer acting acumen. And also how well Shravan was written. It was a lethal combo because I have seen Dilip Jha's other show in bits and pieces and the other hero was only okayish even despite his was an equally complicated character like Shravan. The truth is the kind of characters Mr. Jha writes, no one in industry does.  Gul, Ekta, Prateek Sharma, Rashmi Sharma, Cinevistaas none. Even all the popular shows right now, all MLs are more or less same. Parth, Zain, Shaheer, KSG, Pearl all are playing very straight forward characters like Angad. So I really don't understand why the onus of showing all the extra ordinary acting abilities in normal shows lies on Namik even when the character doesn't need it. And just because he did a highly complex and intellectual role in in EDKV. No one can convince the stuck up EDKV fans to come out of that show and Shravan. Because if you expect him to pull another Shravan, then that ain't happening unless that kind of character is written. Untill then happy disappointment (: 

Edited by _symphony - 4 years ago