Sense & Sensibility- Women of 21st Century

Transference thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 4 years ago

Well, the topic has got nothing to do with Jane Austen  but solely based on a single statement of Mr. Bajaj in the party. 

“Being a woman, you talk about slavery in the 21st century? As far as I know women are ruling the world.”

Well, this is the most poignant statement I have come across in otherwise dismal Hindi TV shows. This makes sense doesn’t it? And if we put it this way, isn’t it sensible to address this issue in our Indian TV shows? 

When we talk about slavery, we immediately associate with physical abuse and bondage. What about mental slavery, ideological slavery, bigotry and slavery of being treated as second class citizens? 

Aren’t these issues that need to be challenged? Doesn’t it make more sense if we see some real mettle in TV leads where they question these rather than bringing in blackmail marriage tracks? 

Chip in folks, about how Bajaj can make sense in the story of Anupre with sensibility and not by some fluke blackmail marriage deal! 

For instance, sense and sensibility would be to see Prerna fight Bajaj and him being impressed by her fierceness. Maybe, he makes a deal with her. A deal to harness her intelligence and fierceness in his company   Against Basu publications. This should create an interesting track. 

Come on Cvs,  you can do better than seizures and Fish Drama.

Note- It’s a post about sense and sensibility and let it be at that. 

Edited by manzilmukul - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

WaqtZaya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Most Comments (August 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 7

You picked out the correct words and interpreted it in the most correct way one could every get. Wish others too saw this instead of cribbing and crying. Rightly on point post. 

Plus after your post I really want to see Bajaj to make a deal to harness like you said Prerna 's fierceness. That would be a treat to watch on ITV maybe for the first time?

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

And each in the cell of himself is almost convinced of his freedom

- W.H. Auden

Your point regarding the non-physical forms of slavery reminded me of the above quoted line from Auden's In Memory of W.B. Yeats. 

While the future of Mr Bajaj and Prerna is yet to be unraveled, there are obvious guesses based upon the predecessor's storyline. Being one of the viewers looking forward to the future track involving these two, I feel that a meek and submissive Prerna would kill the essence of the track. Prerna, despite being the female lead, lacks individuality and self-esteem. She has no identity of her own. Hence it makes zilch sense that a man like RB would fall for such a woman. Whatever the future unfolds, I would want to see a strong woman standing up to Mr Bajaj as his equal, rather than being a decorated doormat with zero self-esteem. 

Mr Bajaj offering a deal to Prerna and using her intelligence against his rivals would make a good track. But, has Prerna even completed her studies? Is she intelligent enough to be deemed worthy of such a deal by RB? Lastly, are CVs competent enough to deal with the complexities inherent in such a track?

Edited by Wistfulness - 4 years ago
hasini009 thumbnail

I hope CVs sense & sensibility ke saath saath science & technology ko bhi use kare this time.

who knows if any character of KZK2 in need of bone marrow transplantation in future, aur Anurag-Prerna ko IVF/surrogacy ke baare mein pata hi nahi, aise kaise ho sakta hai. thodi bahut padhai aur gyan bhi do inn dono ko.

Nailah_EjFian thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

@wistfulness

I agree Prerna def lacks individuality and self esteem.. I am absolutely against her full dependency on Anurag.. but she was shown on various occasions, using her brain and act on the spot.. On two previous occasions, she saved the Basu’s from goons and Naveen Babu using her brain rather than forces..

The previous entry did call Prerna as a sharp minded businesswoman, so I now want makers to concentrate on her growth and prove that women doesnt just have to be an ideal wife or bahu but we are worth more than that.. 

I want to see this chota sa dimag girl taking on everyone.. developing her character slowly and gradually.. rather than turning her into a superwoman overnight with full knowledge of everything..

Edited by nailah_AnuPre - 4 years ago
MERARAI thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

AnuPre on the eve of their wedding is forced to deal with a corporate raider who rejoices in weakening and taking over established businesses just for the heck of it. 

Sacrificing her marriage to Anu in the face of RB’s aggressive takeover of BP makes AnuPre a weak adversary. If Pre on the other hand has her own conditions and keeps it on the business front with no personal connections to RB that would make for an interesting track.  She can care for Sneha but still keep her relationship with RB as an employee and still stay in touch with Anu. RB will see a loyal Pre who loves Anu.

Pre could show RB that he’s not entitled to everything he demands if RB develops feelings for her. Love is not demanded and what better way to remind RB than when it comes to the matters of the heart all the monetary wealth in the world can’t get his love reciprocated.

Pre could show RB that a player can also be played and be on the receiving end of rejection that he dishes out.

Edited by MERARAI - 4 years ago
UKGirl22 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

I am going to go with the theme of your title. Elinor and Marianne start out in the story as one only having  sense and the other only sensibility. The story of these two sisters is that they each move towards each other to be a mixture of both. To that extent I don’t find Prerna as being identical to either sister but a mix of both. 

I am in a true minority in this forum as someone who does not find prerna lacking character or self esteem or individuality. I find her full of it and to be honest can’t ecen relate to people when they say this. Do they mean and doesn’t have the character they want her to have or the character of Prerna 1? 

She is all sensibility in that she is emotional about how she chooses her degree subject. But she is sense in that she realises that the way to help her father is to study a useful subject which she can use to get a job. (She doesn't have the privilege of getting an education in London or of potential excelling in subject she actually enjoys, but she still works hard and makes the best of it)

She Is sensibility in that she tries to help her friends who want to run away get married irrespective of the effect it has on her but she is sense in that she stays up late at night to help her mom with her business in a practical  way. (She literally dragged anurag to help her while his preferred option is to sit on the sidelines being uninvolved. This is not the sign of  weak girl) 

She is sensibility in that she decides to marry Naveen to help her family from being kicked out of their house knowing her own brother will do nothing to help (similar to the sacrifice anurag made for his father’s business) because it was a proposal brought by Mohini but she is also sense in that she tried to get moloy, sid to help. 

She is sensibility in that she will put up with Mohinis drama to save her relationship with anurag but sense in that she will not care when Mohini asks her to wear the saree given by her rather than her moms or. I i insults her mom. (Compared to anruag who will find a middle ground but it will always be to protect his mom, who faults he cannot see) 

She is sensibility in that she loves anruag and is willing to sacrifice for him but sense in that she won’t give up what she wants or thinks she deserves when he dumped her for Komolika. 

So yes I would like to keep seeing prerna grow and experience new things. But I skin see this great lacuna in her that others do that bajaj can fill. 

(I have compared her to anurag above bcos I don’t know what bajaj’s character is and whether he has any sense, individuality or self esteem. In my experience in real life the biggest show odds and the ones with the least self esteem.) 

Transference thumbnail

Originally posted by: MisHumptyDumpty

You picked out the correct words and interpreted it in the most correct way one could every get. Wish others too saw this instead of cribbing and crying. Rightly on point post. 

Plus after your post I really want to see Bajaj to make a deal to harness like you said Prerna 's fierceness. That would be a treat to watch on ITV maybe for the first time?

Those words struck me for the longest time. The dialogue writer has done a good job in establishing the character. 

Crying and cribbing for Jodi’s is inevitable. We fall prey to human attraction towards love. Nonetheless, ITV specially an Ekta show has limited scope. But I penned down whatever I thought would make sense. 

Transference thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

And each in the cell of himself is almost convinced of his freedom

- W.H. Auden

Your point regarding the non-physical forms of slavery reminded me of the above quoted line from Auden's In Memory of W.B. Yeats. 

Thank you for stirring some great chords with Auden’s quote. His essays were anything but rhetoric. And when I see Bajaj, I would quote Auden again

“ No human being is innocent, but there is a class of innocent human actions called Games.” -W. H Auden. 

While the future of Mr Bajaj and Prerna is yet to be unraveled, there are obvious guesses based upon the predecessor's storyline. Being one of the viewers looking forward to the future track involving these two, I feel that a meek and submissive Prerna would kill the essence of the track. Prerna, despite being the female lead, lacks individuality and self-esteem. She has no identity of her own. Hence it makes zilch sense that a man like RB would fall for such a woman. Whatever the future unfolds, I would want to see a strong woman standing up to Mr Bajaj as his equal, rather than being a decorated doormat with zero self-esteem. 

I might agree as well as disagree with you here. Prerna is shown to be assertive sometimes, while at times her naïveté behaviour shocks and bores me. I know what CVs have in their unimaginative minds as such shows rarely have anything much to offer in terms of character layers, but still the hopeless dreamer in me somehow yearns to see a strong woman rising against the tyranny of the larger than life Bajaj. 

I love the use of the term decorative doormat here. That’s what sadly women in HIndi TV dramas are reduced to. 

Mr Bajaj offering a deal to Prerna and using her intelligence against his rivals would make a good track. But, has Prerna even completed her studies? Is she intelligent enough to be deemed worthy of such a deal by RB? Lastly, are CVs competent enough to deal with the complexities inherent in such a track?

That’s a valid question. Education in TV shows isn’t important. I am not sure what CVs could offer but as per sense and sensibility, it would have been a treat to witness something different. 

Edited by manzilmukul - 4 years ago
Transference thumbnail

Originally posted by: hasini009

I hope CVs sense & sensibility ke saath saath science & technology ko bhi use kare this time.

who knows if any character of KZK2 in need of bone marrow transplantation in future, aur Anurag-Prerna ko IVF/surrogacy ke baare mein pata hi nahi, aise kaise ho sakta hai. thodi bahut padhai aur gyan bhi do inn dono ko.

I literally was laughing up my sleeves sheepishly while reverting to this during office hours. 🤣 No wonder you name echoes your rib-tickling sense of humour. Trust me- this sense and sensibility would never dawn upon them. Technology be damned 🤣