Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: jb508

It's going to be KJO vs Aamir Diwali 2020.

You mean Takht Vs Laal Singh Chadha?

Pain-in-ur-Neck thumbnail

Originally posted by: cricketfan1

Please! As if Rainman is some classic...enough of exploiting the disabilities of the real people for some cinematic kick!

That's a bit too harsh.. No?! ... I mean so many movies are made with inspiration coming from real life people! ... One movie can depict only "one such person" .. that doesn't mean movie is falsely depicting a condition! ... I mean it's people's ignorance and how blindly they take movies which make others life difficult! ... End of the day "one movie" can't spell out every little detail or every little variance of a condition .. From what I can see, movies on such subject matters starts people talking ... may be audience may take it "wrongly" at times but at the same time they are getting awareness of such condition! 

Now I do understand having such members in your family may make things difficult ... but tell me if there were no such movies made, do you think majority of people would even know of such conditions?! ... There are many people who aren't as educated or aware of what goes around in the world .. I think movies are a great medium of exposure! ... Now I am not saying movies are doing it selflessly .. but they are bringing new subject matter for audience ... Some may start reading more into autistic or other such subject matter after having seen such movies ... so it's not at all as "bad" as you make it sound! 

There were many who felt "Padmavat" exploited their ancestry, history and their sentiments... at the same time this movie got many of us learning more about Rajasthan and its history even if movies faltered a lot in that aspect ... How about "My name is Khan" ... again it got people talking and learning about Aspergers! ... Yes, most movies are made for cinematic kick ... but it's also true, movies impact a huge majority of people .. So it really isn't as bad! .. Instead if anyone throws "misconception" or generalization" at you, you have an opportunity there to impart your knowledge and spread awareness! [ETA ... Also some of these movies can be very inspiring for people who suffer from such conditions when they see someone like them on screen achieving and facing obstacles head on!]
Edited by 4thPrincoholic - 5 years ago
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Just thought I will put it out there since we did stir the topic...Autistic people have IQ levels ranging from average to above average to sometimes extraordinary! Just like how it goes with the typical population- where we have all levels of IQ...Misinformed people associate Autism with people of low IQ levels which cannot be more wrong...

Yes!!!
LifeOLicious thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Insiead of American football, Indian Forrest would play Cricket I guess

Juhi in Sally Field's character and Fatima in Robin Wright's role

Forrest shakes hands with Nehru, Shastri, Indira

Not sure what scandal could replace Watergate... Emergency?

In the movie, Forrest Gump was responsible for revealing Watergate scandal to the world which resulted in President Nixon's resignation

Omg did you just suggest Juhi play AK's mom? 😆 They are the same age! Think Juhi can play Robin Wright's role. Whatever AK will do to wipe his aging face & body, she can do too! Otherwise she can stay away from this movie.
@4thprincoholic: That's a debate for another day/thread I guess but just to make my stand clear, I am not averse to the  honest movies made to spread the awareness about various disabilities..But we .know a disability is being exploited when we can clearly see the purpose of that disability is just for the cinematic kick - like in my name is khan'
@ it's not as bad as I made it sound: Well,I did not even talk about the worst stuff that got spread because of Rainman...
Edited by cricketfan1 - 5 years ago
Pain-in-ur-Neck thumbnail

@4thprincoholic: That's a debate for another day/thread I guess but just to make my stand clear, I am not averse to the  honest movies made to spread the awareness about various disabilities..But we .know a disability is being exploited when we can clearly see the purpose of that disability is just for the cinematic kick - like in my name is khan'

@ it's not as bad as I made it sound: Well,I did not even talk about the worst stuff that got spread because of Rainman...

Well there have many movies that have used subject matters sensitive to those close to it ... but we all lap it up in the name of cinematic kick! .. So I don't see much difference ... clearly autism is close you so you're more offended, same must be true for others too since most movies are rarely made to display "honest" side of it! 

Anyways ... will gladly agree to disagree here!

Originally posted by: 4thPrincoholic

Well there have many movies that have used subject matters sensitive to those close to it ... but we all lap it up in the name of cinematic kick! .. So I don't see much difference ... clearly autism is close you so you're more offended, same must be true for others too since most movies are rarely made to display "honest" side of it! 

Anyways ... will gladly agree to disagree here!

No not just autism- I clearly said disabilities' which means any and every... And yes, I have a strong opinion on it may be because I happen to know the other side of the story too...Think about it- the worst thing is most of these disabled people  don't even have a voice to defend themselves against the stereotypes created in the society through these movies- they just inadvertently suffer it!

Edit add: I am not offended' by these movies... Living with disabilities we at large do not have the luxury of getting offended for everything...We try to grow a thick skin and train our minds to ignore and move on but when it's a matter of someone's life which is already complicated without these kind of movies adding to the woes- we do take a stand!

Edited by cricketfan1 - 5 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: LifeOLicious

Omg did you just suggest Juhi play AK's mom? 😆 They are the same age! Think Juhi can play Robin Wright's role. Whatever AK will do to wipe his aging face & body, she can do too! Otherwise she can stay away from this movie.

Hey Sally Field played Tom Hank's love interest in "Punchline" before playing his mother in Forrest Gump

And that's no ordinary mother role, it requires some serious acting chops

Come to think of it, even Amir is too old for that role... Hanks was only 38 when he played Gump

Maybe somebody from younger generation should do it

RajKumar Rao, Varun Dawan, Vicky Kaushal etc
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: BollywoodBoy1

Aamir is a great actor, sounds good.

For real ?
LifeOLicious thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Hey Sally Field played Tom Hank's love interest in "Punchline" before playing his mother in Forrest Gump

And that's no ordinary mother role, it requires some serious acting chops

Come to think of it, even Amir is too old for that role... Hanks was only 38 when he played Gump

Maybe somebody from younger generation should do it

RajKumar Rao, Varun Dawan, Vicky Kaushal etc

I get that. It is a good role. But only if someone from the younger gen plays Gump. AK is 54...lol...definitely too old to play Gump. ðŸ˜† But since when that has stopped Bollywood actors from playing a role. So, in that sense, I don't think Juhi should play the mom's role. Sally Field was at least 10 years older than Hanks!