Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sm1308 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Chapter 9: part IV

Seeing Jodha leaving, Abdul left the cheering troops and approached Jalal.

Abdul: She is angry. I would say very angry. Emotionally hurt and must be feeling betrayed too. You should tell her that this is not what it looks like.

Jalal: And you think she is gonna believe. And worst of all, even if she does..Do you think she is ever gonna stand back?

Abdul: Hmmm.. probably you’re right,,.but you do understand that she hates you already, after whatever you’ve put her through..

Jalal (smiled): Nah! she is too compassionate to hate…Angry? Hell yeah, but then she’ll come around, that I’m sure of..

Abdul: And why would that be?

Jalal: I don’t know yet the reason behind this confidence, but I look forward to figuring it out.

Abdul: You really really like her. You cant stop smiling..

Jalal (smirked): Really? Is it that obvious?

Abdul (laughed): Oh yes it is..and smile as much as you can, my king because I’m pretty sure, soon you’ll be staked by Ruqaiyaa, if at all this rajput princess spares you.

Jalal (smiled): Oh come now..You and Ruqaiyaa are the only friends I’ve got. If you’re happy with this alliance, there is no reason Ruqaiyaa wouldn’t. You two have always been happy in my happiness and distraught in my grief and I don’t see it changing anytime soon, my friend..

Abdul nodded with a polite smile. But he had reasons to be concerned for Ruqaiyaa. The three of them had been friends since childhood, and all Abdul and Ruqaiyaa had always fought for as kids, was the recognition that who of the two was a greater friend to Jalal. She was always the adamant one, going beyond reason just to please Jalal. Competitive, possessive and a tad-bit jealous Ruqaiyaa, were the attributes that Jalal and Abdul use to laugh off as kids. Married to Jalal at the age of nine, when she didn’t even know what a marriage was, all she knew was that she was the queen of the “would be” king of Hind. Abdul smiled recollecting the play that they use to act on as kids, where she would sit as queen by Jalal, and throw angry glares at Abdul for not following her orders. It had been so long since he or Jalal had seen her or anyone else from the royal family, and Abdul wondered how much, his childhood friend who is also the empress of the Mogul reign, first wife to the Mogul king, must have changed??A friend’s happiness is indeed a reason to cherish for a true friend. But Ruqaiyaa is not just a friend to Jalal. She is Jalal’s wife and how would she take this news- the possibility of having a competitor to her title, was not too hard for Abdul to decipher.

Abdul: You keep forgetting, she is not just a friend. She is your wife too. Never have you shown any interest in marrying any another princesses that have come along into the Mogul harem as an outcome of our conquests. You do understand she would know that this wedding could not just be a political alliance, that for the first time ever perhaps you’ve taken a liking to a woman. That you wouldn’t go this far as to marry a girl, who is not just a daughter to our sworn enemy but doesn’t even carry our cultural or religious heritage.

Jalal (laughed): What is with this heritage and blood? I was born in this soil, so is Jodha. So, we belong to the same geographical heritage, and as far the blood goes, her's boils the same, when threatened, as our's Abdul. Isnt it? Jodha is no threat to Ruqaiyaa. Ruqaiyaa has her own place in my life and I can tell you this Rajput princess will have her own.

Abdul (sighed): All I’m trying to say that atleast you should let Mariam Makani, and Ruqaiyaa know about this wedding, if not to everyone else, before you take the bride to them unannounced.

Jalal: Okay okay! I’ll write a letter to Ruqaiyaa and badi ammi (Maham Anga) and would let Mariam Makani know, personally once we reach Nagaur. Happy? Now enough of this brooding, prepare to march for Nagaur, tonight only. I cant wait to see my little princess born.

Abdul (smiled): Ofcourse, my King..

Trumpets were blown, commands were given. Mirza, Bashir and Chugtai Khan held their posts, while Jalal, followed by Abdul, the commanders and the soldiers led his battalion back to the fort of Nagaur. Somehow Jalal couldn’t stop thinking that the arrival of the baby had brought him Jodha. He was leaving Amer, but this time with a content heart, a fulfilled wish. The first glimpse of the little one as the first ray of the sun erupted from the horizon, was the only way he could think of, to express his heartfelt gratitude to the Almighty.

The Rajputs had reached Amer too. But the gloom of compromising alliance, if not defeat had spread in the entire city. The common folks thanked the God for the safe return of their soldiers, but couldn’t stop themselves from wailing for their beloved princess. The queen, Rani Mainavati was waiting at the palace gates, and the moment her eyes met Jodha, she pulled her into a secure hug. The tears that had been constrained till yet, flowed shamelessly.

Mainavati: What the hell is everyone talking about? It is only after I die, an omen this bad can hover over you..There is nothing you’ve to do Jodha.

Jodha: What is done is done mother..If this is the price, I’m to pay to keep my clan safe, I shall think myself fortunate and redeemed.

Before a wailing Mainavati could retort, Jodha wiped off her tears and pulled her into another comforting hug.

With a heavy heart, the king, brothers and other royals entered the palace. The night was one of the darkest for Amer, the common masses that had lined up outside the palace gates dispersed with part pride and part grief for their courageous warrior princess. The halls of the palaces were left unlit, still reverberating with the silent cries of a mother, restlessness of brothers and heavy sighs of a father, who still wasn’t convinced about the decision made. It was an uncertain leap of faith, but the words had been given- “The wedding” was now inevitable and all Bharmal and Mainavati could do was to pray the goddess Bhavani to bless their daughter with the might and courage to pierce through all the oddities, that were about to enter her life.

With the approaching dawn Jalal had reached Nagaur. The gates were opened to get the Mogul troops in, and the enthusiastic Jalal was welcomed with the heartwarming cries of the newborn in the palace, who was resting on her grandmother’s (Hamida Bano) lap, suckling her thumb. Jalal gave a curt yet soft nod to Mariam Makani, who stood up, welled eyed to bless the son, she had been seeing him after five long years. With trembling hands she ruffled the dishevelled locks of Jalal, and Jalal bowed down giving a peck at the other side of her palm. With the mixed feeling of happiness that marked the end of painful seperation of five years, Hamida Bano asked, “How are you my son?”

If it had been the devil brute young king, he would have warded off any affectionate attempt, polite and warm gesture that a scared mother was trying to make. But for some reason, so much had happened in that short time, the conversation with Khan baba, the aftermaths of meeting Jodha, that his heart couldn’t shrug her off. He held her palm and looked back at Hamida Bano, Jalal could see that she was still unsure if he had forgiven her for his past, that if she would act as a mother, would he act as son? Or the entire charade would end up in a humiliation, where Jalal would make it clear that she no longer holds the place of a mother in his heart. For some reason, something broke in Jalal, she was the mother - queen of the Mogul reign, mother to the reigning Mogul king and yet all he could see was a scared old woman who was preparing herself for a hateful glare that was about to come from her own son.

Jalal (held her palm to his chest): I’m fine Mother.

The moment “mother” left off his lips, Hamida Bano broke down carrying the weight of all guilt she had been harbouring in her heart. The harshest of all decisions she had to make to keep his young lad safe. Jalal pulled her into a comforting hug, and for sometime they both stayed as such, basking in the unversed love and respect the mother and son had for eachother. Although, the child (still in the arms of Hamida Bano) couldn’t take the constraint of hug and yelled at the top of her voice breaking the cherished moment. Jalal and Hamida banoo looked at the little one who was making uncomfortable faces and the mother-son duo broke into a chuckle.

Jalal: Oh God! She is a total replica of Bakshi.

Hamida Bano: Yes and always hungry.

Jalal picked up the child into his arms and cooed the little princess. The confused child stared at Jalal for sometime, and looking at his clinking cold armour and dusty face broke into another fit of cries.

“I dun think I’m presentable enough to make a proper acquaintance with her highness, but know this my child you’ve brought a treasure worth a life for me and I could never thank you enough for that..This Mogul king would ever be indebted to you, my little princess, may god bless you with all best he has” and returned the baby back to Hamida Banoo, he then asked, “How is Bakshi?”

At the mention of Bakshi, Hamida Banoo winced, “She is fine…For now..The delivery was complicated, she had lost a lot of blood…would need a lot of care, while recovering”. She kept silent for a moment and then continued again, “I can not imagine what condition that brute Sharif’ud’din brought my child into, I would have never imagined that he would hurt her the way he did. Every scar on her body felt like a nail onto my bleeding heart”.

Jalal (trembled trying to cope up the emerging rage): I know mother, and he would pay million times over, perhaps with his own life, for all the wounds he has inflicted on Bakshi.

Hamida Bano: Bakshi was delirious while delivering, she kept on yelling something about Amer, their princess and you too. Chugtai Khan then told me that Sharif was trying to annex Amer against your orders. But why Bakshi was concerned about you or the Rajput princess?

Jalal: It is all under control mother. I reached before any damage could be done, and Amer has accepted a peace pact, that would allow me to make sure that Amer remains untainted from the blood shedding hands of Sharif’ud’din.

Hamida Banoo (sighed in peace): Moguls and Rajputs may have an eternal animosity, but I, as a mother will forever be indebted to them. If it wouldnt have been the courtesy of a Rajput king, I do not know whether I or you, as a newborn, would have been able to survive the hardships of barren lands or not? I owe them Jalal, even if no other Mogul seems to do.

Jalal stayed quiet and nodded in affirmation.

Jalal: There is something else. I, I was thinking of a way to curb this hostility..And..

Hamida Banoo (surprised): And?

Jalal: And to accomplish it, I proposed for a marital alliance along with the treaty pact. Between me and their princess, Harka Bai.

Hamida Banoo looked at Jalal speechless, and after a moment regained her composure, “And did they agree? This is not possible. Why would they give their daughters hand in marriage to a Mogul king, their sworn enemy? You’re sure?”

Jalal nodded, “Yes! The wedding is to be held at Sambhar, twenty days from now”

Hamida Bano still couldn’t believe, a sliver of anger flashed across the mother-queen's face. All the harsh memories of how it is always women that are made to pay the prices and suffer the scars of war and battles came rushing down to her. As someone, who herself had suffered the same, who had parted with her toddler son, handed him over to an entrusted general, just to keep the little child alive and protected against the treacherous family members, she could understand the predicament this Rajput princess must have been in, when she would have agreed to such an improbable alliance, “So, you’re saying that they agreed to give their princesses’s hand in marriage to you..Just like that???You sure are not hiding anything from me? Jalal tell me there is no trickery or any foul play in this..Tell me you didn’t compel them?

Though, the reconciliation was still afresh between the queen-mother and the king, it didn't stop Hamida Banoo from putting forth this stiff retort against her son. She might not have raised her son, but she had to be sure that in no way her own blood would do any injustice, in particular, to a woman. Jalal couldn’t stop the tint of smile that graced his lip. He held his mother by shoulders, “The quick short temper mother! I totally know now, that I must have inherited it from you and none else. But trust me, you've nothing to worry. I give you my word mother, I’m absolutely honest and pure in my intentions towards her. I’ve no vile plans for your would be daughter in law. I want her to be safe, away from any threat, and I would see to it all my life. She would have all the rights, privilege and above all the respect as my legally wedded wife, same as Ruqaiyaa. And utmost commitment is what I’ve to offer to her”.

Hamida Bano knew her son. That was an honest proclamation, she was sure of it, he meant every word, But there was more to it, she could sense it, and she was not buying this half part of the story, yet.

Hamida banoo: Why on Earth would you be concerned about her safety. She has her own mighty clan and people to worry about that? I see now that she is the same princess Bakshi was worried about. But what is your concern with her? Why Sharif went against Amer only, when he could have gone for any other smaller Rajputana territory?

Never had Jalal faced any parental interrogation. He definitely broke into sweat at his persistent mother, who wouldn’t let the matter go. And Jalal was not yet ready to accept the annoying feeling that was tugging at his heart, everytime Jodha was being brought into conversation..He still had to figure this “What and Why” out.

Before Jalal could open his mouth, a maid brought the news that Bakshi was awake and wished to see Jalal.

Jalal gave a wide smile and handed a huge jewel studded ring to the maid on the classic timing she came, “Ask the treasurer to distribute gold to all the men and women in service, for my princess being born and my sister being safe. Bakshi is awake mother, lets go and see her. You’ve all my life to question my intentions for the beautiful princess of Amer”.

Hamida Banoo couldn’t resist a smile at the warm tug of Jalal, who was pushing her to Bakshi’s room, she teased in a questioning tone, “Beautiful? I see now”..

Embarassed Jalal looked back at Hamida Banoo, “I meant, nothing like you ofcourse”.

Hamida Banoo chuckled at the response, but she knew that even if Jalal wasn’t telling the entire truth, he was fair in his intent. That, a lot was changed in this son of her, compared to the war-driven fifteen year old boy she had seen last. And above all, he actually smiled, so probably yes, she would relish the happy son of her, for now, and would worry about the repercussions of this marriage at some other time. A hindu princess, a bride to a Mogul king, this could change the course of history, what a brave heart she had to be to accept this proposal. A fierce princess indeed, who could bring out a more liberal and tolerant side of Jalal and his reign. Hamida couldn’t stop herself from thinking, whatever jalal’s intentions were, this alliance was about to be a landmark that would change the fate of the Hind for "good" or God forbid, "bad", if the two instead, succumbed to the challenges that were to come after the wedding..Only the time and the probable valour of this princess would tell, what an impact their matrimony would make in the years to come, both on the fate of Hind and in the lives of their subjects.

Saiyaa thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Wow....👏

Can't wait for the next part.

Mothers have entered the scene , Glad to see things getting better for jalal & hamida .

Germanina thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Danke für die netten Worte. Im November vergangenen Jahres war ich in deinem schönen Land Indien, in Rajasthan. Es war wundervoll. 

Ja, eine gute Mutter möchte immer,daß es ihrem Kind gut geht und er ein mitfühlenden starker und kluger Mensch wird. Mütter und Ehefrauen haben einen" Siebenten Sinn", immer eine Ahnung, dass mit dem Kind oder Partner irgend etwas ist.

ich bin so gespannt, wie es weiter geht und würde mich über eine kurze Zeit bis zum neuen Update , freuen.

amitaprasad thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Deleted

Edited by amitaprasad - 4 years ago
Aishu.R thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Nice chapter.. waiting for wedding of joja..
Germanina thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Sehr schön!

Eine Mutter weiß,ob es ihrem Kind gut oder schlecht geht. Ich mag Hamida Banu.  Sie ist sanftmütig aber auch stark in ihren Entscheidungen. 

Danke für das Update!

ich freue mich schon auf das nächste👍🏼!

amitaprasad thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

The update is so intriguing. The talk between two friends is interesting..I love the part where Abdul says it seems she hate you but confident Jalal counter it..

Jalal interaction with his mother is heart touching.entire conversation is so beautifully written.

I have relish each and every part fully.please update soon.🤗

sm1308 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hey guys thankyou all for the lovely msgs..I'll reply to each one of them, once I'm done with the update..Still writing, probably in a few more days, will post one..

But I also got an idea about another short story. A rather modern take than historical on our Jodha n Jalal..Give it a read too...n let me know if you found the concept intriguing or not?

PBDcrazy thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Hey writer.... Amidst the mayhem caused by Corona virus can we get some stress relieving update....? 🙏

Saiyaa thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: sm1308

Hey guys thankyou all for the lovely msgs..I'll reply to each one of them, once I'm done with the update..Still writing, probably in a few more days, will post one..

But I also got an idea about another short story. A rather modern take than historical on our Jodha n Jalal..Give it a read too...n let me know if you found the concept intriguing or not?

That's great.....☺

But can't wait for the next part of this one as well .