Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji - My thoughts so far...

Black_Maniac thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago

5 episodes in, DTHHJ looks quite promising. A little OTT at times but I guess it helps maintaining the drama?

The very real reason of why I began watching is because there's Jasmine and Gul Khan does have a brilliant first 100 episodes or so, usually. Jasmine still is a very refreshing person to watch and I believe I have a nice soft corner for her :')

The aesthetics are appealing and so is all these interpersonal relationships. I love the 'little' girl gang, (no clue if they'll be in for too long though), I LOVE Chintuji for the absolutely adorable lover-boy and loving elder brother that he is, I love how they have touched so many issues already and slided past them so easily.

Rocky-Happy look like the end-game of course but I would have absolutely no qualms if they showed Happy-Chintu as well. Chintu is so sorted and so lively as compared to his younder brother who has so many issues. The families are typical Indian families with a lot of dynamics and I had a lot of thoughts while watching these episodes (sort of lost them already :P)

Just going to talk about my thoughts about all characters that managed to make a small mark.

: Happy - I really like her. She is a fighter and no 'calling victim' sort of person. She hasn't gone around complaining and also makes sure her sister respects their family, however rude they are, because her mother wants them to.

: Smiley - The girl is amazing. Except her "Aaj toh death hi ho jaani" hai because she's died a lot of times that way πŸ˜† I like how she has no filter to her mouth but loves Happy a lot. Loved seeing her and Happy throughout.

: Sandhya - Living for her daughters, taking in whatever everyone says, she is typical but in the confines of privacy she admits that she is proud of whatever Happy does. I have a question though, does she not have her own family who would be willing to support her with slightly less sense of 'ehsaan'?

: Tayaji-Taiji - Somebody needs to tell me his name or I am going to continue to call him Manohar Sarna 🀣 I was annoyed with him but then you do see that he trusts Happy, even if he doesn't show, and cares for them. Just a little less that he cares for his reputation. Mrs. Manohar, however, is absolutely annoying and doesn't hide her hate for her Jethani/Devrani and her daughters. You need a typical aunt, don't you?

: Happy's cousins - I love them all, for various reasons. Remind me of my own girls ;) I love the curly-haired one the most though. Get me her name, someone. They are sure witness to the numerous escapades featuring Happy Sandhya Raj Mehra.

: Chintuji - I am always going to address him with the 'ji' because he deserves the respect :') He is the male lead we deserve but won't ever get :( His pure intentions that make a rather sensual SRK song so adorable, his eyes shining with admiration for Happy and his respect towards his family. The most sorted guy you'll ever find on a GK show

: Rocky - A spoilt brat who hates his father, loves his elder brother and mother. I did see slight chemistry in the sketched characters of Rocky and Happy but not so much in Jasmine-Ansh. Maybe they'll take time. To me, Rocky Happy could be really good if he tones down his 'I am the baddest boy in town'. +infinity for his love for his brother though. I am sucker for bromance.

: Sanya - I know they are trying to show her as the super-modern person but I have one genuine request. Please stop portraying that any girl who wears jeans and t-shirts is not an ideal love-interest for your bad boys. They are trying too hard to make everyone hate her already and I am just plain annoyed. Can she not be a really-sorted person who also has puppy eyes for the bad boy. I won't mind bad boy-bad girl and she can even try to cause misunderstandings between the lead couple (I'll totally support her and stan her evil-ness) but please make it more authentic than what it is. She is trying a bit too hard to come off as a bad girl. No Sanya, you don't have to be a douch, you can be an emotionally strong person.

: The other two guys, not of much screen value, I guess. Just background friends for Sanya-Rocky to make up a 'gang'.

: Beeji - Dang, I like this dramatic class A bish :P Too stereotypical but she has her sass moments. Why would she spill tea on her own grandson though (Amrit? Wasn't it?)

: Buaji - I swear she looks like her mother's daughter πŸ˜† She is again someone with a lot of self-importance and everything but I guess she'll add the spice as and when needed. 

Side note - I like how none of them are plain pain in the butt sort of people. Beeji supports her Chintu and Rocky and Buaji was trying to stop her from creating a scene. Good job!

: Rimmi-Simmi - A rather nice take. One of them is a total feminist and one is smart with simple dreams of a nice family. Good contradictory personalities and I love how they always stick together.

: Their parents - I have zero sympathy for the Dad except that his blood vessels might blast someday due to his younger son's kaands. But darn, was he rude. His wife is adorable though, supports her kids but also has her own set of ideals (which are wrong from my POV) but okay.

: Did I miss someone... Probably not.

Alright apart from that, I grew annoyed of all these typical names. I know you have a large cast but dude, they just picked every stereotyped Punjabi name and gave it to the characters. Like whuttt?

The scenes do look OTT at times but there are some who manage to keep it simple/sobre I guess. I'll watch and try not to get too attached (fair warning, none of you should. Gul Khan doesn't have a nice history if you don't know already :P)

Drop your opinions, I would love to talk about it and discuss the episodes! (Haven't watched the 5th epi though. Will do it sometime in the evening)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Koeli thumbnail
Hola, and thanks for your views on the serial...
I am absolutely loving this refreshing story... for me a strong female lead is what attracts me the most.

Happy : A happy go lucky and a sanskrari girl, who loves her mother a lot. She has values and she protects her sister fiercely. I love the chemistry with chintu ji. They are adobs. I honestly dont mind if they show their chemistry. It would be a refreshing change.

Chintu : He is the most sorted guy i have ever watch in any daily soap. I love that he too has flaws in terms of looks. That makes him look human and not some super hero of a daily soap. His flaw makes him stand out.

rocky : It is to c*cky :D he needs to tone down his OTT. I find him more OTT than happy. He might have bagages yes but his acting looks out of the place. As if he is trying to portray himself as a bad guy... I dont like his hair style. He looks like a mawali... thats little off  considering he is a male lead.

ML's friends : As expected they are spoilt. All are doing great job.

Girls Gang : They are shown so natural. I love the bond... its looks real.. I hope they show them more and just not end their bonding...

Others : All the characters are well crafted... its natural... they have different elements...

So far i am enjoying. <3
Edited by Koeli_Appy - 5 years ago
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Loved your post <3
I love the positive and fresh vibe of the show. Cousin's bonding is the cutest thing uff!πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜†

Also I love the sets and the costume designing hereπŸ˜› Jasmin looks so very pretty and is perfect as Happy <3

Looking forward to it..and I know what you mean by not getting too attached..I think that applies to any daily soap on Indian TV..all become super thrashy after initial few months πŸ˜†
dotsfan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Very nice  analysis dear! πŸ‘
I have started watching this show because of catchy promo and also it is very light hearted show. No OTT drama. I just love happy and chintuji's equation but it seems like rocky and happy will end up together. As you said it is gul's show only first 100 to 120 episodes are watchable. But show is So far so good. 
Black_Maniac thumbnail
[QUOTE=Koeli_Appy]
Hola, and thanks for your views on the serial...
I am absolutely loving this refreshing story... for me a strong female lead is what attracts me the most.

Oh I agree. The female leads are always told off so I would love to see a queen as a lead😳

Happy : A happy go lucky and a sanskrari girl, who loves her mother a lot. She has values and she protects her sister fiercely. I love the chemistry with chintu ji. They are adobs. I honestly dont mind if they show their chemistry. It would be a refreshing change.

That would be amazing but I guess, this still is a GK production so zyada expectations rakhna paap haiπŸ˜†

Chintu : He is the most sorted guy i have ever watch in any daily soap. I love that he too has flaws in terms of looks. That makes him look human and not some super hero of a daily soap. His flaw makes him stand out.

rocky : It is to c*cky :D he needs to tone down his OTT. I find him more OTT than happy. He might have bagages yes but his acting looks out of the place. As if he is trying to portray himself as a bad guy... I dont like his hair style. He looks like a mawali... thats little off  considering he is a male lead.

OTT is exactly what he is. For a while I didn't recognize him as Ansh from Superstar. He is trying tooo hard. Maybe he'll get a little calm later.

ML's friends : As expected they are spoilt. All are doing great job.

Girls Gang : They are shown so natural. I love the bond... its looks real.. I hope they show them more and just not end their bonding...

Others : All the characters are well crafted... its natural... they have different elements...

So far i am enjoying. <3

I am enjoying as well. Hopefully, it stays that way for a long time :P
Black_Maniac thumbnail

Originally posted by: -FreeLancer-

Loved your post <3

I love the positive and fresh vibe of the show. Cousin's bonding is the cutest thing uff! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜†

Also I love the sets and the costume designing hereπŸ˜› Jasmin looks so very pretty and is perfect as Happy <3

Looking forward to it..and I know what you mean by not getting too attached..I think that applies to any daily soap on Indian TV..all become super thrashy after initial few months πŸ˜†

Thank you! ❀️
Yes, the show is drama-less except the usuapy family stuff. 

Oh, the costumes are beautiful. I loved Jasmin's green saree for the engagement. We can trust Jasmin to have her style on point ;)

Haha, I haven't watched anything much on TV recently but still, attachment is a big NO for any show, I guess.πŸ˜†
Black_Maniac thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kalyanikulkarni

Very nice  analysis dear!  πŸ‘

I have started watching this show because of catchy promo and also it is very light hearted show. No OTT drama. I just love happy and chintuji's equation but it seems like rocky and happy will end up together. As you said it is gul's show only first 100 to 120 episodes are watchable. But show is So far so good. 

Thank you😳
Well, I started because it was Jasmin and Gul, so hope to see good stuff that keeps me entertained for as long as they can. Well, by the looks of it, Rocky-Happy are endgame. Hopefully, the good golden period lasts a little longer and entertains me till I find something else to go forπŸ˜†
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Today's throwing in the pool scene is recycled from iconic Shivika scene πŸ˜†?
Anyway, yesterday's episode continued the fun streak...Poor Chintujee ...Kher koi nai...Quickest confession and heartbreak ever πŸ˜›πŸ˜†

I'm liking the pace of the show
Black_Maniac thumbnail

Originally posted by: -FreeLancer-

Today's throwing in the pool scene is recycled from iconic Shivika scene  πŸ˜†?

Anyway, yesterday's episode continued the fun streak...Poor Chintujee ...Kher koi nai...Quickest confession and heartbreak ever πŸ˜›πŸ˜†

I'm liking the pace of the show

Yeah, I am beginning to notice there are a lot of things taken from Ishqbaaaz already. Rocky keeps saying "Tadi Tadi and everyone keeps saying raita phel gaya. They are not even trying to hide their obvious copy pastingπŸ˜† I didn't see yesterday's episode. Did Rocky jump in as well?

I was so relieved when they took it a light route. I do not like how Rocky's mom and beeji are both anti-Happy already .Give us a break from saas bahu dirama