SK1509 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi Guys

I thought I'd set up a thread to discuss the various sayings and idioms I have never heard of (as a UK born Gujarati of East African origin) before watching this show.

Bhes ki pooch and Langoor ki pooch are obviously right up there. As is pretty much everything Naembibi said. Then there's also chaloochapati.

I thought my Hindi was ok before I started watching this show!!

What sayings are new for you (if any!)?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Devilow0405 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Great please start one, my Hindi I learned from the forum, if you can have a translation in English it will be very helpful, frankly speaking I was blurred when she started talking πŸ˜†
divyadaya13 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I am loving the funny terms used in the show πŸ˜†. Otherwise aajkal toh  F***🀬 ke alawa kuch sunayi nahi deta. Thats what is making the show different. Its emotional and still it is funny.  Edited by divyadaya13 - 5 years ago
PehliDafaHai thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
I am a Keralite though I have lived in Karwar and Mumbai when I was little girl so I am familiar though not completely aware of the meanings of these words as I know of my language. πŸ˜† But, they are all so funny to the ears! 
Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Bhais ki poonch is a common slang here in India πŸ˜†
It means being super surprised about something πŸ˜†

And whatever Naim Bi says is also quite familiar. Keede pade tujhmein etc etc πŸ€£

PS : Fun trivia- there's another popular phrase of bhains kholkar le jaana πŸ€£
PehliDafaHai thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mishti_Dahi

Bhais ki poonch is a common slang here in India  πŸ˜†

It means being super surprised about something πŸ˜†

And whatever Naim Bi says is also quite familiar. Keede pade tujhmein etc etc πŸ€£

PS : Fun trivia- there's another popular phrase of bhains kholkar le jaana πŸ€£

Hey! Thanks for the translation. I usually interpret the meanings in context with their emotions and language at that moment. πŸ˜†
Edited by Mayashika - 5 years ago
-JC- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Bhais ki poonch usually is an expression of frustration because they are dealing with trouble...like when holding onto a tail of a bhais it generally tends to get wild and run and therefore making you run after it unless you let go of that tail. So in a way it is saying "holding onto trouble". I havn't watched the episode though so not sure what context it was said in. 
There are places in India where they make a sport out of it...people compete by holding onto the tail and seeing who goes farthest or holds on the longest. Apparently its a wild ride behind a bhais ki poonch. 
Edited by -JC- - 5 years ago
SK1509 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -JC-

Bhais ki poonch usually is an expression of frustration because they are dealing with trouble...like when holding onto a tail of a bhais it generally tends to get wild and run and therefore making you run after it unless you let go of that tail. So in a way it is saying "holding onto trouble". I havn't watched the episode though so not sure what context it was said in.

There are places in India where they make a sport out of it...people compete by holding onto the tail and seeing who goes farthest or holds on the longest. Apparently its a wild ride behind a bhais ki poonch.

Oh wow lol. See I had no idea about this. My husband was a farmer in India and even he didn't know what that meant lol.
harshu27 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Mayashika

I am a Keralite though I have lived in Karwar and Mumbai when I was little girl so I am familiar though not completely aware of the meanings of these words as I know of my language. πŸ˜† But, they are all so funny to the ears! 

ohh grt to knw dt ur a keralite and stayed in karwarπŸ˜›πŸ˜› m frm mangalore whch is just d opp of karwar d other end of coastal karnatakaπŸ˜† 
PehliDafaHai thumbnail

Originally posted by: harshu27

ohh grt to knw dt ur a keralite and stayed in karwar πŸ˜›πŸ˜› m frm mangalore whch is just d opp of karwar d other end of coastal karnatakaπŸ˜† 

Good to know! I visit Mangalore often as my cousin lives there. And, I usually visit Mookambika Temple so then have to visit her. πŸ˜ƒ