The Glorification of Anurag Basu

UKGirl22 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
When you read the interviews of many the the current male leads they say that they feel lucky to get the role they got since Indian serials focus very often on the female lead. I am relatively new to Indian serials and am not old enough to know many of the past Ekta serials. From what you guys say about Kasauti 1 it definitely seems to be the case that it was more about Prerna and Anurag came across as the weakling etc.

Clearly times have changed. Any serial you hear people lauding in one where the female lead is either secondary to the male or they are equal. I don't know if any where the female is given more importance than the male.

Serials like Ishqbaaz glorify anything the male lead does and even where they do something terrible and unforgivable - they are still forgiven and proclaimed as the best son and husband. Yeh Rishta and Yeh Mohabbatein seem to enjoy thinking of ways in which the husbands family can turn against the daughter-in-law. Sometimes the husbands support them and sometimes not but everything is always forgiven until the next time it happens again. Even Dev in Erica's previous serial is lauded as a great son and man while at the same time destroying someone career, engagement etc.

Kasauti seems definitely to want to follow this trend. When Anurag like an idiot went towards a fire (unlike Prerna who got caught there) he is a hero. She without asking for any praise stays awake at night to help her parents - but this is nothing compared to the foolish heroism of a moment. The writer even give her a line saying so and social media goes gaga over Anurag and his bravery. When the same Prerna wants to rush to the rescue of her parents - she is called emotional and foolish by the writers who make Anurag taunt her foolishness. Social media will be full of posts and tags calling her an idiot.

And so it continues. Just the day after showing Prerna as stupid for wanting to rush to the rescue of her parents, she was shown as afraid to do the same thing. Anurag locked two of the thieves in the room and said let's go. The writers then give Prerna a line that says "oh but are we ready?. Who cares about the inconsistency right - anything to make the male lead look good?

Even thinking about the Mahabharata type music and description of Anurag while he walks irritates me- to what end? In the end it was the girl who stays awake at night to help her parents who came to the rescue.

And she has to because Anurag is too busy make oral threats to whoever will listen including of course his favourite Naveen Babu. Maybe we will get more dialogues of the sort we got a few days ago - both men (one a hero the other a villain) saying Prerna meri hai. After all what are we women but dolls and toys to be fought over by men, whatever their inclination!

This is no different from what I've been saying for days. But today when I opened my insta account and typed #kasauti I was truly shocked to see the endless pictures and videos of Anurag and NONE of prerna. So let's not say that these serials and their storylines and dialogues have no effect on us. Most of these accounts are obviously run by girls like me who find Parth cute like I do. But by ignoring Prerna and Erica, we are letting serials like Ksauti and Ishqbaaz and every other one of them to keep portraying us Women as less than what we are.

Ok time for me to take deep breath.
Edited by UKGirl22 - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Priya_18 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Well analysed. Haven't seen the episode yet but I cringed when Anurag said I care more about my family than what you do about yours. I was like, what did you just say?? Anu seemed good till he was minding his business but the moment he started getting closer to Prerna, it came down to the same thing. Weak female who needs a male to save her, the same male who pushes her around, calls her names and whatnot. Anurag isn't on the bad side yet but I fear he's going to, after all that's what creates drama and TRP.

Coming to your point of Anu going into the fire, I'm glad I was sane enough to cringe at that scene. I had never seen Parth before so when I watched him do this shit in the second episode, I was totally not impressed. 

Also, I don't watch IB for the reason that you stated. They know how to call the girl khidkitod or whatever it is. But love to glorify the brothers. But it's loved like you said. It's like whatever Erica or Pre do, they will be criticised to no end but if it's Anurag saying something, no one will bother. Pre says something stupid she's bashed, Any does something super normal, he's praised to no end. I wish there was more of an equality maintained here. 
Edited by Priya_18 - 5 years ago
BlueJayFire thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Heartfelt post and totally aligned with you..Prerna is more of what's the hour of the need for any family..My take is..the glorifying of Anurag yesterday was totally wrong timing...he did nothing at the end...atleast for the set up they should have given some action sequence and both Anu-Pre teaming to distract and get their families freed up.
Thats why I keep saying...if Anurag says one more time that he is gonna break the marriage...am done..seriously...
FarhaadkiMahi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
sorry this offtopic  
i am again saying this  "anurag ka redemtion ho raha hai ".u have to understand this anu 1 is butchlered very much .so it is needed to connect with anu2 they have to glorify him.
they got a very good actor parth to potray all these emotion .
coming to the topic  we have to happy as fan yr at the end both anupre save the day .😳

Zaalima_5 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Aww.. Bang on.. 👏 
And hug for writing this for prerna..🤗

I love my preyu..❤️ I don't want to talk about Anurag.. Male leads hardly impress me..and I don't know how many times I  have bashed Abhi when I used to watch kumkum bhagya..  🤔🤣

And yesterday.. Mohini was describing his beta like bahubali.. But it was Prerna who actually used her brain and saved everyone..  😎

Faltu me Anurag ka kachra ho gaya.. 🤣
--Jenny2017-- thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Discussion inducing post, with scope for some healthy discussions.
I have quite a few things to add but have a busy day ahead. I'll try to get back to this post in the evening.
Zaya.hp thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I don't have anything to add to this. You spoke very thought of mine. The utter inconsistency to glorify the hero is the stupidest part of this serial. Erica deserves a better role.
The thing is most part of the audience what hung these shows casting young people are girls. And they are happy to praise the hero for merely existing in the serial. Dev was such a flawed character. And he didn't deserve Sonakshi one bit. But nobody seems to wrap their brain around that part. The Anurag description part was so badly timed and shot in yesterday's epsiode I felt like laughing. He does simple things like calling police and he is called BRAINY! Coool. 
Edited by Zaya.hp - 5 years ago
Zaya.hp thumbnail

Originally posted by: Priya_18

Well analysed. Haven't seen the episode yet but I cringed when Anurag said I care more about my family than what you do about yours. I was like, what did you just say?? Anu seemed good till he was minding his business but the moment he started getting closer to Prerna, it came down to the same thing. Weak female who needs a male to save her, the same male who pushes her around, calls her names and whatnot. Anurag isn't on the bad side yet but I fear he's going to, after all that's what creates drama and TRP.

Coming to your point of Anu going into the fire, I'm glad I was sane enough to cringe at that scene. I had never seen Parth before so when I watched him do this shit in the second episode, I was totally not impressed. 

Also, I don't watch IB for the reason that you stated. They know how to call the girl khidkitod or whatever it is. But love to glorify the brothers. But it's loved like you said. It's like whatever Erica or Pre do, they will be criticised to no end but if it's Anurag saying something, no one will bother. Pre says something stupid she's bashed, Any does something super normal, he's praised to no end. I wish there was more of an equality maintained here. 

Ditto. Dude? Who do you think you are to tell she doesn't loverher family enough? That was such a lame dialogue. They put in again, to probably glorify the hero. Well it does nothing of that sort. Makes him come across as an arrogant, assuming person. 
Edited by Zaya.hp - 5 years ago
Honestly in Ekta's serials it's always the female lead who has more dominance in show that Male Lead , I remember I made very similar topic in during YHM about Glorification of Ishita 😆.

KZK has to be rare one where they have started the show itself with Showing Female Lead as Weak/Dumb. Glorification of Anurag has started recently esp yesterday.
Anurag's characterisation for the past 1 week has gone down the drain . There are just so many fluctuations . It started with so much promise and now there is just no improvement, it has got stagnant and possibly will Fizz out sooner .

The writing of the show has been abysmal right from the start and yest it just went to Atrocious level . And it's funny because most Ekta shows starts properly with tight script and well placed Tracks , here it's just haywire .
I really doubt they had any proper bound script when they started shooting KZK. It's like they got Prerna , they shooted the Promo to create Buzz and then Later they got the Male lead and started with the Production process. They are more like checking the waves and whatever is giving them TRP they are going with it .

I really doubt with such Contrived writing how far this show can survive.Edited by RollingStones - 5 years ago
Zaya.hp thumbnail

Originally posted by: Zaalima_5

Aww.. Bang on..  👏 

And hug for writing this for prerna..🤗

I love my preyu..❤️ I don't want to talk about Anurag.. Male leads hardly impress me..and I don't know how many times I  have bashed Abhi when I used to watch kumkum bhagya..  🤔🤣

And yesterday.. Mohini was describing his beta like bahubali.. But it was Prerna who actually used her brain and saved everyone..  😎

Faltu me Anurag ka kachra ho gaya.. 🤣

That description and the editing was so so lame and cringe worthy. That guy is a normal human being. They make him seem like Bahubali with the brains of Einstein. Seriously this intelligence angle of Anurag is done so badly. It only made me cringe.