TV audiences still prefer men to do the heavy lifting : Donal Bisht

av131 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago
Author:

Donal Bisht, currently doing Colors show, Roop Mard Ka Naya Swaroop, feels a bit sad that her portrayal of a strong, self-willed woman, does not seem to appeal to the TV watching universe. "Most housewives who watch TV are not comfortable with my character (Ishika Patel) standing up for herself. They would rather be happy to watch her 24*7 let Roop (Shashank Vyas) do the heavy lifting. Why should you fight when you have a man/husband is the common line.

"However, it is time we change this societal mind-set step by step. Rome was not built in a day.

"The current track, where I get married to Roop and he moves in with me, is based on Karina Kapoor's campaign, My life my choice. Why should a woman's motive about her lifestyle be questioned, as long as she is not wrong? Sadly, this attempt to fight for equality, to do things like men do, is also meeting resistance. Many men say freedom does not mean doing whatever you want. This is wrong, for no one questions men who cross all limits of decency. Yet, a woman who just wants to live by her mantra is looked down upon, says Donal, who was first noticed with Sony show, Ek Deewaana Tha.

"Ishika will further face rebuke when she decides to continue her studies post marriage. This old thinking also needs to go. Why should a woman stop pursuing her career after marriage? Wedlock is not meant for women to do just housework.

Here Donal admits that the attempt to change social norms is not getting ratings approval. "Our numbers are not bad. Having said that, as an artist, I don't care much about TRP, which is more the headache of the channel and production house.

"As a creative person, I am more concerned about my character and relatability. Many films that have no head or tail (Golmaal) go on to mint huge money, so this is not my game.

What about reports that suggested that, fearing negative public perception, you want to tone down the hard scenes? "No, if you refer to the scene where I refused to go on slapping Roop that was a creative call, for I felt that it was not needed. You can't do things just to raise drama, which does not always work either.

She also admitted that the story tenor has complete changed. "At first, we started with a boy (Affan Khan) who had feminine traits, which did not work. Hence, we now have a manly guy who still cares for women.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lennie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Nice interview.  I also like both doing the heavy lifting, and should be equality! 

Its from IMWbuzz interview, as i was wondering which media it was from. 

This bit of info, they corrected on the article - 
"The current track, where I get married to Roop and he moves in with me, is based on Deepika Padukone's campaign, My life my choice.
Edited by Lennie - 5 years ago
RainbowKitty thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
LMAO
Indian TV is mostly female centered and have male leads who have nothing to do other than being used to show greatness of FLs  This one show has a male hero and negative and weak FL who has nothing good in her Whats wrong in showing that ? Women are also bad and what she is saying  mostly house wives are not comfortable with her character Lol I am not a house wife but university student and i hate her character because she is evil  Everyone hates an evil person It has nothing to do with house wives 🥱
Edited by RainbowKitty - 5 years ago
RainbowKitty thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Roop moves to her house to protect her parents till her father recovers otherwise he has no plan to stay in her house for eternity and Ishika herself is using him to make her sick father temporary happy and protect her parents from Mota Kaka and family Once her father recovers she plans to break the marriage and ask him to leave the house She  rudely said to him you are guest at this house till papa recovers then out 🤬She showed him the door🤬 Edited by RainbowKitty - 5 years ago
mahi12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
What ? Mostly house wives are not liking my character Ishika for standing up for herself but want Roop to do it ? Who told her mostly house wives dont like her character ? Does she personally know each and every viewer who hate her character or she has taken some survey Ridiculous and People hate Ishika for her evilness People hate Ishika because she is an abuser People hate Ishika because  she is a hypocrite People hate Ishika because she is an antagonist Why can't this lady accept her character is antagonist instead of bringing totally nonsense excuses to defend her character ?Indian television is full of female protagonists This one has male protagonist so obviously he will be the hero If she has so many issues with Roop being the hero then why she even signed this show ?Didn't she know her character and her place in the show ?Didn't she know show's name is Roop -mard ka naya swaroop? so why now she is giving such ridiculous interviews blaming TV audience and bringing man vs woman as if males are doing injustice in TV shows with females 👎🏼 Edited by mahi12 - 5 years ago
Libra123 thumbnail
First of all, i am surprised why someone wants to know her views about the show.. wow.. instead of being happy that she is still in the show inspite of poor acting skills, she is complaining ??? what a world we live in !!
Az07 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
No offence to the actress but her character is not Strong and self-centred, she should watch characters like Swateendhta Ramakrishnan ( Dahleez), Trisha Deewan ( Agent Raghav) Harleen Kaur (POW) Mauli (SBRK) for strong cantered FL. Ishika is rude, arrogant, judgemental, hypocrite. That's why audience hate her. 
.Shiva. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
tfs lovely interview 😳
i like how she is not shy to say what she feels and her character is bold. few points was told here which even us RI fans raised eyebrows on but creative calls hai so i guess its ok but everything she said made sense. enjoying this show enjoying RI 😳⭐️👏
mahi12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Libra123

First of all, i am surprised why someone wants to know her views about the show.. wow.. instead of being happy that she is still in the show inspite of poor acting skills, she is complaining ??? what a world we live in !!

Her complains are ridiculous She is trying to mislead people as if TV is male dominated while every one knows the fact TV is female dominated This one show has male hero I believe this is the only show on colors which has male its main protagonist Its  Roop -Mard ka naya swaroop so obviously Roop will be hero and he helps everyone . she chose to play an antagonist and yet she is cribbing people don't like her character and have made a false story its because house wives  cannot stand her character standing up for herself What nonsense ?Her character is bad thats why people hate her and she is not redeemable Neil Bhatt is playing a negative character and he accepts it why she cannot ? Despite being an antagonist PH makes totally fake and misleading promos to promote her still she cribs 🥱She is getting more screen space than needed and because of her a senior actor is quitting the show but still she is cribbing Well if she has so many issues then she can leave this show and do a female centered show instead of cribbing about one male centered show Spare this show and go show your girl power in female based show ITV is full of it We not man hating neither regressive house wives love RoopEdited by mahi12 - 5 years ago
Libra123 thumbnail
the issue here is with all the contacts in PH, channel, Media you cannot get audience acceptance..ppl have to realize that.. for audience to accept you need talent.. when she realizes she will not complain.. as far as i  know ITV is full of fake feminists,. this is one show with male lead good concept.. even that is destroyed for promoting her. looks like she is still not happy..