Living in Live-in Era!

Phenyl thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

It makes the uncles enraged, it is one of the gossip topic for aunties, its something many new couples look forward to and an exciting chapter of their life for couples who are already in it. Yes, I'm talking about live in relationships.

Cohabitation or being in a live in relationship is an arrangement where two people who are not married live together. They often involve in a romantic and intimate relationship on a long-term basis. Such arrangements have become increasingly common in the Western countries during the past few decades.

There are many reasons why a couple may want to live together. It may be because they want to evaluate their compatibility in a more practical way, or to establish financial security before officially tying the knot. Apart from that, it may be also due to legal constraints that would not allow them to marry for example, if they belong to the same sex. Certain individuals may also prefer to be in a live in relationship because they feel that a relationship is a personal matter which should not be controlled by religious, political and/or patriarchal institutions. Meanwhile, some may prefer it because unlike how it is in a marriage they can get out of the relationship whenever they want. 

In India, live in relationships have been a taboo from a long time. However, this is no longer entirely true amongst young couples in big cities like Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, etc but the rural areas are still conservative and are yet to accept live in. Often couples have to fake being married to get a house and avoid being the target of gossip even in the big cities.

Live in relationships are legal in India. The government has taken measures for the past few years to protect the interest of female live in partners. The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 recognizes "relationship in the nature of marriage and protects female partners from domestic violence provided that

• The couple must hold themselves out to society as being akin to spouses.
  • They must be of legal age to marry.
  • They must be otherwise qualified to enter into a legal marriage, including being unmarried.
  • They must have voluntarily cohabited and held themselves out to the world as being akin to spouses for a significant period of time.

In countries where marriage is considered sacred and any other form of union between a couple is shunned it might take a lot of time before live in relationships become acceptable. All we can do is educate ourselves about the topic and not judge anyone who is in such a relationship.
|| Confused_Soul || -Tulips- || dmegha ||
|| -Koeli_Appy- ||
Edited by ...OohLaLa... - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

We do not endorse the act of getting anywhere within a five kilometer radius of relationships. No, Sir, we do not. But if one wants to go ahead and be into such a thing, we are all encouragement. Therefore, we will be well-meaning and keep our doubts to ourselves. 

Comprehensively speaking, there must be some perks to being roommates with your non-spouse spouse. For instance, 

A) It should be adorbs to see the elusive Mister Perfect turn into the impossible Mister Never-Flushes-The-Toilet-Until-Yelled-At. It'd be adorbs because your hair will clog all manner of pipes in the house but they won't mind. 

B) We all wish that we'd known that one bad habit about our partners before we got hitched. Perhaps treating relationships like cars, getting the proverbial test-drive is not such a bad idea. 

C) The accountability one feels towards their live-in partner is a hundred percent voluntary. The regressive institute of marriage (in a largely patriarchal world) dictates that one has to care about the feelings of every Chachi, Tai and Bhui that one's partner may have. None of that without the piece of paper of doom, huh? And the guys don't have to pretend that their sister-in-law isn't in fact hot because there is no sister-in-law. 

We can tell that despite our best efforts, our microscopic measure of faith in relationships is getting tangible. So, here's all the reasons why you please kindly live-in at your own house, without a partner, in the sanctity of your childhood bedroom: 

A) The strings that we refrain from attaching to modern relationships are not visible until they've strangled the relationship and everyone in it. So, believe us when we say that you may not call him/her your husband/wife. But they're just as good as that and since neither you nor we like marriage a lot, run for ya life, bro. 

B) It's nice to have someone to blame for the failure of your relationship. If you can't blame his mother for being overinvolved in the affairs of your apartment, you will have to admit a lot sooner that his choice of curtains stink, and so does he. 

C) Marriage is a vintage painting. That you know how insanely expensive it is, you won't sell it away during Diwali cleaning because your tastes have altered. What's worse, your miser man will never let you forget all the times you threw his money in the great gutters of Ganges. Live-in is more like the badly edited picture of last week's vada pao you put on Instagram. The second you realize it will never have more than 2.5 likes, you're gonna delete it. And guess what, no one's gonna remember. 

In closing, we will just say that, if you are on your own, we strongly recommend that you stay on your own though.

Edited by thegameison - 5 years ago
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Great topic of discussion by you, CC Team! ⭐️
x.titli.x thumbnail
Still a taboo topic to talk about for many. Thanks for coming up with this thread.
😊
Sutapasima thumbnail
I personally do not approve of the idea of living in relationship 😒
I am totally against this  👎🏼.
surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
couple go for living in relationship either they don't believe in marriage institution . couple think all these sindooor saat phrere vows all these r rubbish or they want to test l each other behavior by staying living In relationship   before entering into marriage life .if both see that both can adjust with other whole life then both. change their living in relationship into marriage
Sneha.Narayanan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 6
I any day support live in Rather than marraige but I will never go for one coz My parents are traditional and I will never hurt them.
I will never marry coz there my country cannot protect me once iiget married . 
Marital Rape is Not a crime in India
rajput17 thumbnail
I also not in favor of living relationship 
Sneha.Narayanan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 6
Live in is OK . At least better than marriage coz at least if your partner abuses or rapes u, U can at least file a case on him. But there is no Law to protect married women in our country. I just read an article in Silsila forum regarding Marital Rape. 
Please support my iniative to Recognize Marital Rape as a crime in India

Can a husband  forcefully have sex with his wife even without consent? Should India criminalise Marital Rape? I think YES.
Phenyl thumbnail

Originally posted by: SnehaDoll

Live in is OK . At least better than marriage coz at least if your partner abuses or rapes u, U can at least file a case on him. But there is no Law to protect married women in our country. I just read an article in Silsila forum regarding Marital Rape. 

Please support my iniative to Recognize Marital Rape as a crime in India

Can a husband  forcefully have sex with his wife even without consent? Should India criminalise Marital Rape? I think YES.

This is really sad. I didnt have proper knowledge about this topic. Thanks for the info. There are so many laws that have to be made in our country. Striking down Section 377 was one small step. I hope this becomes a law too.