Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

luckySnow thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: EtherealRati

no idea but from what i was reading, it was mentioned for Indians. 

No it is from Afghanistan dear...Alexander wrote about India also but this onne is about afghans
luckySnow thumbnail
''i am in the sea of wealth; the mighty land where dionysus were beaten. The end of the world. I have come beyond heracles.''

This one about India .  .which proves India was indeed some ki chidhi

Plutarch : the life of Alexander the great

Koi Dionysus wali story janta hai kya😲
Edited by luckySnow - 5 years ago
luckySnow thumbnail

Bits from diodorus late adapted as a play:

My teacher told me there are many times people in India than your own empire. They breed like rabbits and they are covered with hair. They are barbarians who live on trees.

Then your teacher is wrong. I want her. I want to conquer her because she is the most beautiful. I know I can't do anything about it. She is calling me like a mother calls a lost child. She lures me like a siren and I grasp at her like a drowning man grasps at the last straw. You don't understand and it is good. 

You are sick very sick for you have no knowledge how ugly this mother of yours is.

I know she is magnificent.

It is actually reverse in real ...Roxana is bashful and Alexander is respectful for India ... 

I say unto you that the barbarians and dwellers in all these regions are all as stupid and as ignorant as the wild beasts that live in their country. 

Another gem from porus ki behan (some say it is from Alexander letter to porus but diodorus wrote it from Roxana point of view which Alexander included in his letter)

I love Roxana no matter what ...she is notorious😛 desperately trying to take her husband away from war😕

luckySnow thumbnail
''They read illiad and had flags of Heracles on it''
Here Alexander misunderstood Mahabharata as illiad as pe r historians  andflags of Heracles could be blue diety that porus army had on their flags ..Heracles is Hercules...Alexander thought Hercules is printed on Paurva flags...historians argue if it was pashupati shiva or Krishna...shiva is considered by majority 
luckySnow thumbnail

Originally posted by: EtherealRati

King Poros of India, to Alexander, who plunders cities:I instruct you to withdraw. What can you, a mere man, achieve against a god? Is it because you have destroyed the good fortune of others by meeting weaker men in battle that you think yourself more mighty than me? But I am invincible: not only am I the king of men, but even of godswhen Dionysus (who they say is a god) came here, the Indians used their own power to drive him away. So not only do I advise you. but also I instruct you, to set off for Greece with all speed. I am not going to be frightened by your battle with Darius or by all the good fortune you had in the face of the weakness uf the other nations. But vou think von are more mighty. So set off for Greece. Because if we had needed Greece, we Indians would have subjected it long before Xerxes; but as it is, we have paid no attention to it- because it is a useless nation, and there is nothing among them worth the regard of a kingeveryone desires what is better.

This letter is original😊 from porus to alexander👏
luckySnow thumbnail
From Alexander to Porus, the king of the Indians, greeting. The minds of all the troops that are with me have been made proud by these words which thou hast written to me, and their desire has been made the more ready for war by what thou hast said, that there is nothing beautiful and noble to be found in Hellas. By thy saying too that the desire and longing of each man goes after what is beautiful, by reason of this saying I and my forces now long to do battle and to make war with thee. Thou hast by thy words greatly encouraged us against thee, for we Greeks are poor, and there is nothing costly in our land, while you Indians are rich and what is costly abounds in your land. And now our mind and longing and desire are set upon the fair things which are to be found in your land, and we will fight with all our heart until we take that which belongs to you. Thou didst also write that thou art king of gods and men, and thou hast exalted thyself above the gods ; but I am going to contend in war with thee as with a warrior, and I am not going to do battle with thee as with the gods; for all the weapons in the world are unable to contend against the gods, and how can mortal man contend with Him, before the cold of whose winters and the crashes of whose lightnings and thunders the world is unable to stand? And just as thou art not afraid of me by reason of the war which I carried on with Darius and with other nations, even so I am not afraid of these perverse words which thou hast written to me.

In these letters porus is arrogant and Alexander is down to earth😆 role reversal here also...it is porus who calling himself god
luckySnow thumbnail
This is Greek version

King Alexander sends greetings to King Porus. You have made us yet more eager to engage in combat with you by saying that Greece has nothing of value for the land of India, and that you, the Indians, possess everything. You know that every human being desires better possessions. Since then the Greeks do not have these, and you the barbarians do have them, we the Greeks, desiring better possessions, have come to take them from you. You wrote to me also that you yourself are king of gods so that you are more powerful even than the gods. However, I enter on a war against a boastful and barbarian man, not a war against a god. For all the world cannot pierce the panoply of a god, the fire of the lightning, the roar of the thunder. So, as the nations fought by me do not marvel at you, your boastful words do not terrify me."
EtherealRati thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
i have edited the topic. 
luckySnow thumbnail
Another version of porus letter 
Porus the great king of the Indians to Alexander. I have heard of thee, that thou doest damage in countries and cities, but what art thou able to do to the gods and how canst thou fight against them? Fate came to Darius king of the Persians; thou didst hurl thyself against him, and so thou thinkest that just as thou didst become strong and didst lift thyself up against Darius, so thou art able to exalt thyself against others. But I am he that has never been conquered; I am not only king of men but of the gods also; and the proof I give to thee is this, that the god Dionysus returned defeated by the hands of the Indians. I do not now advise thee, but I command thee to go quickly to Hellas thy country, for thou art not able to intimidate me by the war which thou didst carry on with Darius and with the other nations through whose feebleness thou hast become exalted ; and so thou thinkest that thou art a mighty man and more exalted than king Porus, the lord of gods and men. Turn now, go back, and depart to thy country Hellas. If we had wanted Hellas, we would have taken it before king Xerxes. But because it is a wretched place and has nothing worthy of a king, we have scorned and despised it and have not subdued it. Therefore I say to thee, every man desires to acquire whatever is good and excellent, and never desires what is hateful. So now for the third time I say to thee, turn and go back, for thou art not able to do anything, therefore do not covet."
luckySnow thumbnail
Porus letter shows how great and rich land India was