Ashish Sharma on Prithvi Vallabh going off air

CutiepieAD thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

It was too complex for the TV audience: Ashish Sharma on Prithvi Vallabh's failure

MUMBAI: Ashish Sharma raised eyebrows with his strong performance in the historical saga Prithvi Vallabh. The show aired on Sony TV and was supposed to be a game changer for the television space. However, the magnum opus fizzled out and couldn't do wonders on the rating charts. The weekly series which was also supposed to have a season two failed to grab the required limelight and was pulled off air. Despite having strong characters and impactful storyline, the plans of season two have been scrapped.

The cast and crew recently wrapped up the shooting for the same. In an exclusive conversation with TellyChakkar, Ashish, who played the titular role in the show, gave out his reaction on the shutdown of the show. The hunky lad said, "I'm fine, not upset as such. I enjoyed it. My contract is over now. He also mentioned how ratings of TV shows don't really affect him.  "Whether it works or it doesn't, is something not in my hands. Something which is not in my hand won't affect me at all.

On being asked the reason why the series didn't work, Sharma had a very logical response. "According to my point of view, I can only see two reasons and these are strictly my perspective. Firstly, it aired on weekends. At that time and the weekend slot, nobody wants to see a fiction show. People either want to see non-fiction or go out, and have fun. Secondly, right now these kinds of storytelling need another platform and not TV.  It was too complex for the TV audience maybe. If it would have aired on digital it would have done far better.

Recently, the actor was also buzzing when the reports about him refusing to kiss his co-actress Sonarika Bhadoria onscreen surfaced. Sharma shared that nothing really happened. "Even before we started shooting, the kiss was always a part of the script. However, I was clear that I won't do it. Because the way it was a part of the story, it was not necessary as such for us to actually do it. Till the time it is not that essential to show us, I don't want to do it. Nonetheless, they got the buzz they wanted; it aired on TV the way it was supposed to. It was just there to sensationalize and the purpose was done, locking lips were not really required, said the actor.

Ashish, however, revealed that he doesn't mind kissing on screen if he finds it necessary.

http://www.tellychakkar.com/tv/tv-news/it-was-too-complex-the-tv-audience-ashish-sharma-prithvi-vallabh-s-failure-180518

Edited by CutiepieAD - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
haha Ashish as usual
He is cool about TRP and says the same
regardless of the show being hit or not

About weekend slot even we have discussed about it right
even ShruthiRavi said it
Infact she mentioned about digital medium too if I remember right 

Kiss toh we know
all the article we got for past two weeks
infact still they are talking about kiss only
Like I said there were even Tamil articles on it๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜†
we always knew Ashish will do bold scenes if needed
they need to watch his new movie trailer
boldness doesn't mean intimate scenes alone๐Ÿ˜‰
Sorry but I disagree. It was not complex but another crappy historical in disguise of complex script. I personally really like the cast but problem is with the script. I am not against showing Mrinal powerful or grey but the problem is no one acts Royal or takes smart decisions like any king would take. Munj took wrong decisions and paid for it later but his main motive was to weaken manyakhet. Hope it was more about expansion of kingdoms instead of Mera pratishodh jaap from Mrinal.
Ashish and sonarika are dream pair for me. I really wish they are again cast in a better serial or movie.๐Ÿ˜• 
Melkor thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kaede

Sorry but I disagree. It was not complex but another crappy historical in disguise of complex script. I personally really like the cast but problem is with the script. I am not against showing Mrinal powerful or grey but the problem is no one acts Royal or takes smart decisions like any king would take. Munj took wrong decisions and paid for it later but his main motive was to weaken manyakhet. Hope it was more about expansion of kingdoms instead of Mera pratishodh jaap from Mrinal.

Ashish and sonarika are dream pair for me. I really wish they are again cast in a better serial or movie.๐Ÿ˜• 

I respectfully disagree sweetie.
Crappy historical is too strong a word for this series.It was one of its kind and I applaud the makers for trying out something like this.

Unlike other historicals this show's leads are not perfect,mahaan or OTT.Every character be it the leads,supporting,negative or cameo was strong.This is one show which dared to take risks and it's totally commendable.

I wanna know what do you mean by acting royal?๐Ÿ˜›What should royals do? Wage wars and expand kingdoms 24/7? This show took a different route and showed the internal emotions of characters along with the amount of necessary action scenes.

The problem was not there with the script.The problem was with the channel and it's pathetic marketing.
It doesn't know how to handle shows properly.

Oh yeah!! AshIka are my dream pair too.I believe there couldn't have been a better show to introduce their pairing to the audience.
I sincerely hope that they will be repeated in future โค๏ธFor they are each other's best costars till dateโญ๏ธ
CutiepieAD thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kaede

He's just telling his POV. He's not saying what he told is the reason of the show going off air. He's just stating his thoughts. 

I personally agree with him. The theme was too complex for TV audience to understand. It was a historical with a change not the cliched historical saga in which we have a tortured mother/queen thrown outta kingdom, the prince grows outside the kingdom, comes back to his state, restores his mom's dignity. Works for expansion n falls for a strong princess. 

PV was totally different. Mrinal is very much like the real kings n queens of history. She's cruel like they really were, n makers have not whitewashed her though given a past story to justify her to some extent. Prithvi on the other hand is unique as a king, he's strong n if he wants can massacre kingdoms, but he chooses to shun war n encourage culture. History has seen such Nobel n forgiving kings as well. 
N it's a reality of many Nobel kings who forgave their enemies, those enemies came back n captured them n finally tortured them to death. 
PV is showing the reality by mixing a bit of love story n complex emotions. 
Not just this they are trying to show that we need to fight our inner devils. We don't have any external villains but we are villains of our own life. (Which is another complex theme) 
Which you get only when u observe the show very closely which those audience who are used to cliched historicals won't get. 
Fantasy part I can't comment as it hasn't started till now. 

But it was definitely much beyond it's time. Bold romantic scenes, complex grey characters in historicals are not what we are used to. We are used to seeing ideal characters in historicals. Also role reversal of ML n FL characters is something which not everyone appreciate

Only problem was editing n continuity issues n of course marketing by Sony channel. 

Ashika wasn't my dream pair but after seeing them together in this show I want to see them again. So it's the show's credit as well ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Originally posted by: --BlackSheep--

I respectfully disagree sweetie.

Crappy historical is too strong a word for this series.It was one of its kind and I applaud the makers for trying out something like this.

Unlike other historicals this show's leads are not perfect,mahaan or OTT.Every character be it the leads,supporting,negative or cameo was strong.This is one show which dared to take risks and it's totally commendable.

I wanna know what do you mean by acting royal?๐Ÿ˜›What should royals do? Wage wars and expand kingdoms 24/7? This show took a different route and showed the internal emotions of characters along with the amount of necessary action scenes.

The problem was not there with the script.The problem was with the channel and it's pathetic marketing.
It doesn't know how to handle shows properly.

Oh yeah!! AshIka are my dream pair too.I believe there couldn't have been a better show to introduce their pairing to the audience.
I sincerely hope that they will be repeated in future โค๏ธFor they are each other's best costars till dateโญ๏ธ

The show was indeed good in concept but it's execution was not upto the mark. I have sses horrid historical and butchering of kings but this was something I didn't expect to turn out like this. I think more than marketing it's the script. It was promoted as love Story but I don't think this Prithvi and this Mrinal should be together at all. It's better they cut each others heads off. I like the movie better. Even her torture scene was way better executed there.
Dear a king would never go to enemy Kingdom just because he wants to redeem a cruel princess. For me the show was as juvenile as any other historical serial.
Thanks for not blasting upon me like some crazy fan of the show just because I find it not what I wanted the story to be.
I really like the cast though. Hope they work again in some other project.
Also prithvi belongs to Rajput Parmar dynasty. His attire should have been more grand. Well I wanted this fact to be explored or atleast mentioned but okay they left out many things.
Edited by Kaede - 6 years ago
CutiepieAD thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Mano-

haha Ashish as usual

He is cool about TRP and says the same
regardless of the show being hit or not

About weekend slot even we have discussed about it right
even ShruthiRavi said it
Infact she mentioned about digital medium too if I remember right 

Kiss toh we know
all the article we got for past two weeks
infact still they are talking about kiss only
Like I said there were even Tamil articles on it๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜†
we always knew Ashish will do bold scenes if needed
they need to watch his new movie trailer
boldness doesn't mean intimate scenes alone๐Ÿ˜‰

Hehe Ashu is like Prithvi no , he's cool ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜†
U can see AP was upset about the show (of course he would be, after all his first show as a producer) 
Also because AP has been used to seeing his shows doing well rating wise as well.

Ashish on the other hand has been experimental every time, it's not that all his shows work well with trp audience. He's known for his acting n choice of role not for TRPs๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† 
He's practical n clear abt TRPs n his words remain same for all his shows like u said. 

Lol that kiss, they didn't even showed his expressions in the kiss. It was so passionate๐Ÿ˜ณ
Maybe they wanted to show Mrinal is more invested in the kiss than Prithvi ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜† Still should have given a glimpse of Prithvi's expresions ๐Ÿ˜†

N in SNS his side was used for cheating ppl n saying it's lip lock gr... ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜†

Anyway we know he'll do bold scenes if required. 
PV romance has been bold n that PV operation scene was also kind of bold for TV standards๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Thushi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I agree with ashu even i was saying it should have been on digital .. we never knw wat trp audience like .. 

bbut if it would have been on digital nd promoted well it would have done better .. PV has gud online following for a weekend historical show .. 

Though i had no prb with sony airing it on weekend.. but  channel played they dirty game .. Keep calling Sony Original but never respected the show .. from the beging itself show was ignored by channel .. Cancelled epis without informing viewers .. changed timeslot without promoting it .. nd why do they still promoting 9.30 n SNS that too after fans complained abt it nd last week toh Ashika even quoted thm 

Who does this to their own product .. ? 

ND yeah its easy to blame script execution .. But i would lyk to knw wat do they have in Top TRP show .. ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Plus we knw hw many gud shows were ruined  for TRP  .. so whom will we blame for those shows .. again script ?? execution ?? great  ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜†

Anyway I m glad we got PV.. every shows has it own flaw .. so does PV has but it has only very few here nd there  ... but as an show I enjoyed it nd I think thats why they make shows...  to entertain ppl ๐Ÿ˜†  
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
I told right it is complex๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†, infact quite complex, where the analyst in me was also running to really understand Prithvi. Though logically I could understand him, I missed the emotional aspect which the script could have concentrated a bit more. 
Also FL and ML changing roles is a delicate subject which requires for you to move away from your perceptions and watch it  with a completely neutral point of view. 

Indian TV is not prepared for themes like Prithvi Vallabh. They couldnt digest POW-Bandhi Yudh ke which was really another amazing show I came across. 

Digital or movie is better for such themes. Even Bahubali would have been a flop if it has been made into a TV series. 

Our dear audience could never digest Shivgami or Devasena who had strong decision making powers. 
Gold.Abrol thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Ashish is right 
If show has been promoted properly than things would have been different 
It was a complex love story ๐Ÿ˜Š