Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

Yes my main problem is food waste. Whenever I see food being wasted it affects me a lot as i think about kids going without food. But then even if I shout nobody listens. It happens again and again affecting me at a deeper level. Howmuch ever I try I cant stay disconnected to food waste which happens day in day out in my family.

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

Yes my main problem is food waste. Whenever I see food being wasted it affects me a lot as i think about kids going without food. But then even if I shout nobody listens. It happens again and again affecting me at a deeper level. Howmuch ever I try I cant stay disconnected to food waste which happens day in day out in my family.

Shruti, explain them by showing Somalia kids' photos, though cruel, those images will prevent them to drop a grain of food from then onwards. 

How many moments of labour pains does earth bear to give birth to those food grains? Every grain is a life-giving source to mankind. 

Wasting food is a social evil and a criminal act Shruti, but unfortunately, it is a fashion to leave food on a plate as if it is a show of their wealth for a few and for a few it is sheer recklessness. 

Recently, people started asking to pack the leftovers whenever they eat in a restaurant, either to feed their pets or to use it the next day. In a way, it is a good sign. 

I agree, we the ladies of the house have to bear the brunt and will always try to explain to our lovely family members on such issues.❤️

Each and everyone should be conscious of the wastage of food that can fill the stomach of hungry persons. The mindset of the citizens has to change with the awareness that millions of children and elders suffer from chronic hunger leading to malnutrition and various diseases. It may be made mandatory that all marriages and other parties set apart at least 20% food items for feeding the hungriest in the country to make India hunger-free by 2021, as a moral and social responsibility. The social activists and the housewives have a great role to play in educating the members on the value of food to the poorest who have the right to live as we all! 

Relentless trails will fetch good results Shruti.🤗

Y12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

V and Shruti: I agree, it breaks my heart too, and V rightly said, so many kids are starving out there. Food waste is a major issue in my household too, but see, that pain forces you to go do something. So it's not useless, it's a catalyst. I know you can donate the food, offer it to underprivilege people, and feed animals. 

I remember I used to be so mad, I am still mad with the amount of milk, fruits, and offering that people waste at temples. 

So, I just do my bit; ensure that I do not waste food, and encourage others to do the same.

Shruti, being disconnected doesn't mean indifference though.

Y12345 thumbnail

Also @V and Shruti and others of course, is wanting to kill our ego, a manifestation of our ego?

So, in other words, is wanting to kill our ego, egositic? 

Thoughts? 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Y12345

Also @V and Shruti and others of course, is wanting to kill our ego, a manifestation of our ego?

Thoughts? 

Yenaa... see this😊. I will be back with a few lines later.

Ego=1/Knowledge. Albert Einstein Quote Explained. - Postsmasters.com |  Albert einstein quotes, Einstein quotes, Einstein

Edited by Viswasruti - 3 years ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Y12345

Thoughts? 

Very good question with a twist in it!! 

People who are truly knowledgeable on a broader scale will be able to understand the vastness of the universe and how insignificant humans really are.😊 Humility is a coveted virtue. Absolute determination to be humble controls ego. I may sound religious, but I know that ''God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble''. This is one very important check to the ego in our lives.  

The presence of ego is in a way, shows us that we are weaving a cocoon around us to protect ourselves from the outside world, which we believe is always ready to harm us, to make us yield to all those glittering attractions, the powerful minds!! 

In order to control one's ego, I have found it in the Socratic paradox: “I know one thing: that I know nothing” --- that is humility. 

Ego interacts with a panoply of emotions and character flaws that create a multitude of situational outcomes. The variety of ego response mechanisms differ with each individual, the egotism arises from unrestrained or poorly managed jealousy, anger, self-importance, pride, stubbornness, superiority, inferiority, and a whole host of other human traits. Often these negative traits are not apparent to the person exhibiting them. Other times the person is fully aware, but either does not care or feels justified in their actions.

From the broader perspective, ego means, superiority complex, 'I know better than you ' ' I can do it better than anyone' here the 'I ' is ego, but there are two sides, one is ego, i.e, arrogance, the other is the confidence which leads us to move forward in life. So, where we have to draw a line between arrogance --ego and confidence --- humility, understanding? Again there is confusion! 

I agree on the need to strengthen the ego to maintain mental and emotional health at the level of self-esteem, essential to handle safely in their family, work, and general social environment. A weak ego can lead individuals to underestimate their emotional abilities and being unappreciated by others in the fields where we intend to develop. 

On the contrary, a hypertrophied Ego can bring the person beyond a mere selfishness low social impact, as it can lead to a pathological and emotional mental illness of such a degree /situation that endangers his life and that of others, having no containment capacity, resultant criminal brawls, or worse, in massive war crimes. War means to win over the other, which is nothing but an ego, which ruins many lives, vast destructions! 

That is why while selecting our leaders, we have to give due credit to wisdom ....  which is sagacity, the ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight.

In ego death, you feel a unity with the entire world, but also, you experience the loss of your power of self-consciousness!!!  The problem is not to promote ego... or to condemn ego...the problem is to explain all the meanings, concepts, experiences, and usages of those things or patterns that can well be labelled as 'ego'!!

In Vedic times yogis investigated the deepest nature of human being. They developed a coherent philosophy on human existence on the material, psychological and spiritual levels. The Vedic model of human psychology consists of five concentric circles or koshas representing body, mind, ego, intellect, and self. Ego is an inflated sense of self-worth. When the ego is used in the excessive form it leads to the karmic issue which in turn take human life towards unhappiness. Ego is some sort of dark force associated with the person's mind which causes the person to take the wrong decision of life taking into account the self rather than the whole. Ego is the conscious-thinking of the self which causes the person to separates from the whole! 

Ego deals with one's self, wisdom rules the knowledge, which leads to happiness. 

shruthiravi thumbnail

I agree I take steps to reduce food waste because people dont understand why it affects you. Even if you show pictures. With kids its ok, but not with elders of the family. Its treated as disobedience. So from my side I take steps so that like Y12345 said I feel a satisfaction I am doing my level best to reduce it if not eliminate it completely.

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

People like the Twitter handle of BORI they are coming up with awesome courses which could be of great knowledge to us.

I just did a course on Vedas and it was nice. Just 3000 bucks and I have access to their digital library too.

Y12345 thumbnail

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

People like the Twitter handle of BORI they are coming up with awesome courses which could be of great knowledge to us.

I just did a course on Vedas and it was nice. Just 3000 bucks and I have access to their digital library too.

That's awesome. But beware of scams. BORI is good though!

For me, I started getting acquainted with vedas and all when I did some mindfulness exercises; aka deep meditation in a retreat camp; and I experienced an ego death momentarily, then I started digging deeper in this literature, and analyzing it. I researched and realized that ego death is Nirvana, a concept that BG preaches. 

So my journey was different with vedic literature; as a kid, I used to watch MB on TV and I wasn't satisfied, because the distortion for me was too much; and where I lived, religion comes into this; and it got to a  point where spiritual knowledge was so merged with religion. As a kid, I was so frustrated when elders used to say, you will go to hell if you eat this sweet, and this is one of the reasons why this generation doesn't want to be spiritual;they think its boring; they think its about pouring milk in temple; SoSo, I think kids should be careful; and not be influenced by anyone, and its a path that one has to navigate and experience alone; and also interpret alone.

Whats your journey with spirituality guys? Do share

shruthiravi thumbnail

Exactly being spiritual is different from being religious. If you ask me I am not that religious and not ritualistic. But I believe in Karma. I love to read and watch various versions of both Ramayana and Mahabharata and I have written something in Ramayan too in wattpad. People at times are astonished when I say my favorite books are Ramayana and Mahabharata and I tell its life. The characters are so inspiring and you cant get such characters anywhere else in this world.