The Girl & The Ghost | ArShi | Completed(Page 101)

Posted: 2 years ago

[Continued from Page 100 - last post]

---------

The board crumpled under the yellow flames and turned black. Smoke emitted from the residue. Arnav waited for something to happen, now that he had destroyed the object, which had tied him to this apartment. He could feel Khushi's anxiety, behind him. Her glance was fixed on the black ash where once the board had been.

"Nothing is happening," he spoke, looking at his hands.

Khushi had wiped off her eyes but her face was red, "I hate you." She spat the words. "How could you do that? You were willing to leave me alone? After all that we have been through? After telling me that you love me?"

Her words sunk in and he realized, in his moment of frustration, what he had risked, "Khushi," he walked to her and placed his hands around her arms, "I am sorry. I didn't mean to... I got caught up in the moment. I am so sorry."

"You are all I have," she uttered, "You can't just leave me like this."

"And you are all I have," he repeated her words. "I am sorry. I wasn't thinking straight."

She extended her palm to him, "Promise me you won't ever do something like this, something which might jeopardize your existence."

He engulfed her out-stretched palm with both his hands. "I promise."

Khushi placed her head on his chest. He ran his hands up and down her back to soothe her and sighed. "Your movie logic failed. Nothing happened to me. I didn't disappear even after destroying the object that I was bound to."

"Arnav," she raised her face to look at him. There was a twinkle in her eyes, "Of course it didn't work."

He furrowed his eyebrows trying to gather what she was hinting at. And it hit him.

"I am tied to you."

"You are tied to me."

They said in unison. Before she entered the picture, burning the board- the physical object holding him in this world, might have worked. But after all that had happened in the course of the past few months between them, he had unknowingly tethered himself to a human- to her.

"So... that would mean..." he began.

"You go away from this world when I do," she finished his sentence. "You are stuck with me Mister."

He chuckled before speaking, "So that kind of ties up all the loose ends of my story." He knew about his life, his death, how he was stuck here and what would ultimately be his salvation.

She looked at him and he at her. Now that everything was out of the way and they had time, they finally could sit and talk- about what they had been dreading for so long. They both knew they felt the same.

A chuckle formed at Arnav's throat and Khushi joined him. Laughing, they both slouched on the couch.

"We really should..." he began.

"Talk." She offered. "You go first."

---------

Arnav turned to face her, placing his palm on the top of her hand he began, "Khushi, I love you, but more than anything I want you to be happy. If we are together, what kind of a life would that be? You can never have a normal human relationship, you can never have kids with me, you can never start a family of your own. You'd be alone- as long as you are with me."

"I have been alone my entire life, Arnav," she protested, "And it sucks. With you, I don't feel alone. I don't need anyone else to complete my life. You have already done that.

Arnav shook his head, "You say that now. What if a few years down the line you don't feel the same?"

"Then we'll break up like normal humans do," she replied, grinning "and I'll dump you back here where you can be the resident ghost and resume your haunting."

He was not amused. "I am serious."

She let out a groan. "What if we don't break up? What if I never get tired of you or you of me? Why are you only thinking negatively? People do live happily together till they die, don't they?"

"People- that's the keyword. I am not human."

"Doesn't matter to me."

"But in future-," he started to speak when she cut his words.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Khushi's voice had a strength she never thought she possessed. "You want us to be apart and miserable on the off chance that one day I might stop loving you?"

"I am not saying that it will happen," he said, "but if it does, if ever in future you find a human who makes you feel loved and happy, promise me that you'll choose him and let go of me... that you'll choose tangibility over me."

Khushi realized he would not let this go, "If," she emphasized on the word, "If that happens, I promise I'll choose wisely. Crazy and unusual as this all maybe, I love you, Arnav. And I am not ready to let you go, not now, and maybe not ever."

He smiled and placed a kiss on her forehead, "And I love you."

Arnav rested his back against the couch and Khushi placed her head on his shoulder, his arm snaked around her back. They sat there in silence, each relishing in the warmth of the other's body.

Khushi reflected on the first day she came here, the first time she spoke to him. It was quite funny how her life would have changed after that night- the night he had scared her unconscious and then helped her. What if the morning after, she, like a sane person had decided to move away, rather than coming back? How different would her life be... How lonely...

Fate was funny. She happened to get a job in Delhi, of all places. She rented this apartment in a city with million options. She didn't leave the house, despite of the haunting. Arnav, a ghost who despised humans, cared for her- so much so that he unknowingly tied himself to her.

Maybe that's what fate is, what destiny is. Of all the 7 billion humans on the planet, she fell in love with a ghost.

---------

Edited by ErisedWitch45 - 2 years ago
I had thought Arnav would turn up alive in coma somewhere and find a way to get to her. At least they still have each other.
Wonderful update.  I liked the way you tied Arnav with Khushi.  Nice thought.  I was a bit worried that Payal is going to put a break in Arnav Khushi's Hamesha.  Phew! Khushi tackled it well.  They can now live peacefully.  Nice way to finish off the story.  Hope  to read more stories from you
Cheers...
amazing story...loved reading it...a very different tale of arshi... waiting eagerly for an epilogue...
nice ending...cause eventually they are together, thats what matters...but i really wished somehow Arnav had been able to manifest himself into his own body and they wud have a fulfilling life... as a couple...
Beautiful end they are together as both are tied to each other i really loved it.
One request plz do write again bcoz you are an amazing writer the way you penned down a ghost story is marvellous so it would be a treat to read another wonderful story from you.
awesome ending.finally they are together that's all matters.iam going to miss this story very much.
write another story dear .