Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

savie thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: bewafa

how can we define wat is meat and wat is not?

plants r alive too. :P

well, i eat meat. πŸ˜›

and the question "being a veg. is better?" is highly subjective πŸ˜‰

we know that they r alive but we don't kill them, while eating non-veg u r killing a life and u don't have any right to kill other human beings ie. we only study animals and man in one group and plants in other b'coz they have different biological system

bewafa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: savie

we know that they r alive but we don't kill them, while eating non-veg u r killing a life and u don't have any right to kill other human beings ie. we only study animals and man in one group and plants in other b'coz they have different biological system

yes but at the end of the day, plants r living things. they may have different biological systems...but either way they are living. and isnt breakin a plant killing it?

and yes, we have classified animals in the same group as men. but thats our classification.

animals eat plants. animals eat meat. we eat what we need and want. πŸ˜›

savie thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
we r not killing plant b'coz plant is not killed easily if u have studied in schools and as regds to animal, if u take his one part also, he is disabled but plants r not
zoya786uk thumbnail
Meat-Eaters Aiding Global Warming!!!!

Most of us think that driving, factories etc are the common reasons for global warming but think again.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=1856817&page=1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6180753.stm Very interesting article, have a read
zoya786uk thumbnail
High IQ link to being vegetarian

Vegetarianism has been linked to better heart health
Intelligent children are more likely to become vegetarians later in life, a study says.
A Southampton University team found those who were vegetarian by 30 had recorded five IQ points more on average at the age of 10.

Researchers said it could explain why people with higher IQ were healthier as a vegetarian diet was linked to lower heart disease and obesity rates.

The study of 8,179 was reported in the British Medical Journal.

Twenty years after the IQ tests were carried out in 1970, 366 of the participants said they were vegetarian - although more than 100 reported eating either fish or chicken.

Men who were vegetarian had an IQ score of 106, compared with 101 for non-vegetarians; while female vegetarians averaged 104, compared with 99 for non-vegetarians.

We've always known that vegetarianism is an intelligent, compassionate choice benefiting animals, people and the environment

Liz O'Neill, of The Vegetarian Society

There was no difference in IQ score between strict vegetarians and those who said they were vegetarian but who reported eating fish or chicken.

Researchers said the findings were partly related to better education and higher occupational social class, but it remained statistically significant after adjusting for these factors.

Vegetarians were more likely to be female, to be of higher occupational social class and to have higher academic or vocational qualifications than non-vegetarians.

However, these differences were not reflected in their annual income, which was similar to that of non-vegetarians.

Lead researcher Catharine Gale said: "The finding that children with greater intelligence are more likely to report being vegetarian as adults, together with the evidence on the potential benefits of a vegetarian diet on heart health, may help to explain why higher IQ in childhood or adolescence is linked with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease in adult life."

Intelligence

However, she added the link may be merely an example of many other lifestyle preferences that might be expected to vary with intelligence, such as choice of newspaper, but which may or may not have implications for health.

Liz O'Neill, of the Vegetarian Society, said: "We've always known that vegetarianism is an intelligent, compassionate choice benefiting animals, people and the environment.

"Now we've got the scientific evidence to prove it. Maybe that explains why many meat-reducers are keen to call themselves vegetarians when even they must know that vegetarians don't eat chicken, turkey or fish."

But Dr Frankie Phillips, of the British Dietetic Association, said: "It is like the chicken and the egg. Do people become vegetarian because they have a very high IQ or is it just that they tend to be more aware of health issues?"

zoya786uk thumbnail
April 19, 2006 -- Your personal impact on global warming may be influenced as much by what you eat as by what you drive.

That surprising conclusion comes from a couple of scientists who have taken an unusual look at the production of greenhouse gases from an angle that not many folks have even thought about. Gidon Eshel and Pamela Martin, assistant professors of geophysics at the University of Chicago, have found that our consumption of red meat may be as bad for the planet as it is for our bodies.

If you want to help lower greenhouse gas emissions, they conclude in a report to be published in the journal Earth Interactions, become a vegetarian.

In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that both researchers are vegetarians, although they admit to cheating a little with an occasional sardine. They say their conclusions are backed up by hard data.

Eshel and Martin collected that data from a wide range of sources, and they examined the amount of fossil-fuel energy β€” and thus the level of production of greenhouse gases β€” required for five different diets. The vegetarian diet turned out to be the most energy efficient, followed by poultry, and what they call the "mean American diet," which consists of a little bit of everything.

There was a surprising tie for last place. In terms of energy required for harvesting and processing, fish and red meat ended up in a "virtual tie," but that's just in terms of energy consumed. When you toss in all those other factors, such as bovine flatulence and gas released by manure, red meat comes in dead last. Fish remains in fourth place, some distance behind poultry and the mean American diet, chiefly because the type of fish preferred by Americans requires a lot of energy to catch.

Eating Red Meat Like Driving an SUV?

Can changing your diet really have much of an impact?

"It is comparable to the difference between driving an SUV and driving a reasonable sedan," said Eshel, who drives a Honda Civic, and only when he has to.

Eshel, who grew up on a farm, has always been interested in ecology and the impact we have on the planet. He got into this research, he says, because "now that I'm a professor of geophysics, I have tools in my tool kit that I can apply much more quantitatively and rigorously to evaluate what we do."

We have omnivorous set of teeth. According to me a balanced diet should comprise of vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food. Vegetarians need extra intake to build up the lack of nutrients provided by animal protein. As long as we take a balanced diet it doesn't matter. The argument that being vegetarian is best is subjective.

insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

. Vegetarians need extra intake to build up the lack of nutrients provided by animal protein

AND if I'm not mistakes,Soya Milk/Soya food is considered to be the best substitute for animal protein....πŸ€”

I dont have a choice,I'm a vegetarian and will always be one...

lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

We have omnivorous set of teeth. According to me a balanced diet should comprise of vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food. Vegetarians need extra intake to build up the lack of nutrients provided by animal protein. As long as we take a balanced diet it doesn't matter. The argument that being vegetarian is best is subjective.

We have facial hair too... 

Vegeterians can get protein from various non animal sources and be just as strong and live healthy lives.

Agree it is subjective but I  don't understand some non veg ppl who choose to be vegeterian on certain days of the week or during religious days like Navratri.

bigmouth thumbnail
Maya jii, balanced diets are in books, but they don't work for every human being. Everyone has their own body system, so this way, in order to stay healthy, a person who has been a vegetarian their whole life (like me) would probably throw up after trying some fish😳 That's not healthy, is it?πŸ˜‰ On the other hand, a non-vegetarian would love to have some fish and it would provide much proteins for them.

Now there's no such thing as "better" in cases like these...being a veggie works for some && some can't live without their meatπŸ˜‰

Cheers,
Himani