Random musings on the thriller genre& the femme fatale

IntrovertedDame thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 years ago
First of all, a big hello to fellow Dev viewers. I am a new viewer who binge watched all the older episodes and is just happy to have a show in the thriller/mystery/police procedural genre on Indian TV after a long time. It is a rarity when it happens, and it never lasts long, so I am happy whenever it happens.

I think the episodes of the past two weeks have been garnering some interesting criticism, which is what prompted me to me make this post and give my own two cents on it;) So here are my thoughts on various aspects, in no particular order:

1. Mehak: Mehak was this elusive, enigmatic figure who was always in Dev's memories, who was also narrating the events and in a way colouring our perceptions too- and reminding us that she has played a big role in making Dev the way he has become. An interesting narrative device, I felt. 

2. The femme fataleYesterday's episode again affirmed Mehak as a femme fatale- a stock character, a woman who uses her charms to get her way and is more than what appears to the eye. I think it was obvious from Day 1 that Mehak and Vani were one and the same person. So it was not really a shock to see her in assassin mode. She is the equivalent of one of the two women characters we see in James Bond movies- the seductive siren with ulterior motives, while Meera is the conscientious, pure-hearted foil to her. I honestly didn't believe her sob story after yesterday-perhaps parts of it were true, but she still has more surprises in store, I suspect.

3. Meera: Okay, I am going to unabashedly admit that I am a huge fan of Dev and Meera's chemistry, I root strongly for them- they have a lot of potential and in many ways her grit and her strength make her complement Dev's intelligence and quirky ways. It is lovely how both of them have had darkness in their pasts, perhaps that helps them relate to each other better.

4. Dev's past: There have been enough suggestions that there is much more to Dev than what meets the eye- his lack of rootedness, the unusual name that he sports, which suggests something quixotic and mysterious- and the implication that he might be at the epicentre of this Chakravyuh. They have endowed Dev with this almost mythical past, which makes it all the more intriguing. I also love how Meera has started exploring Dev's past, her attempt will perhaps start unearthing some much-needed answers about the man he is.

5. Mehak's role: From the beginning, Mehak is almost this ghost who haunts Dev's memories, she affects him irrevocably, the guilt over her death is an albatross that hangs around Dev's neck. I for one am glad that they introduced this whole Mehak arc because hopefully Dev will attain redemption and move on to a new beginning, as an innocent, unrestricted man.😳 

6. Perhaps I am one of the few people who have been enjoying the past couple of episodes- I agree that the pace is sometimes slow, and there have been some unwarranted scenes that were not really to my liking😕😆 But I liked how it all came together in the end. I practically whooped when the revelation about Mehak happened, and when I realized that Dev suspected her all along- it was a big relief to know that he was not being a dunce in a haze of lust.😆 And he played her just like she tried to play him. I think the simmering tempo of a thriller worked fine yesterday.

7. Lastly, some thoughts about our expectations from thrillers. We all have romantic ships irrespective of a genre- I for one am a DeVeera shipper- but I was just thinking whether we let our shippery feels taint the feel of a thriller😳 I was a big fan of The Mentalist, especially the lead pair Jane and Lisbon, and in retrospect, I realize that I missed out on some really good nuances and failed to appreciate some plot lines in their entirety because I was worried about the implications that it had for my ship. 

The slow build-ups, the emotional turbulences in the lives of the protagonists, the perils that they face, the unknown mythical antagonist who have this big cult of supporters who pose a danger to the protagonists, the darkness residing in the protagonists themselves which can prove to be their undoing- these are some of the aspects that I found to be common in the two shows, and which I feel can be appreciated better if we see the show without the shippery trappings, IMO. 

Just like that show, Dev here too has a troubled past, a dead wife. And like the female protagonist there, Meera too has suffered abuse and is resilient in spite of that darkness. 

Maybe I am in the minority but I am glad that the overwhelming presence of Mehak can now dissipate so that Dev and Meera can have a new beginning. Of course, this based on the presumption that we might be getting a S2, which for all purposes might not happen But I still want it to, so that we get to see what we want to.

Being a shipper myself, it is a tad hypocritical to say this, I know😆😳 But thrillers on Indian TV are a rarity, so I was just thinking whether an alternate perspective on this changes our perception.😃

Diverse opinions and constructive criticism are more than welcome.😳
Edited by ..Amri.. - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

PM1774 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I like Meera too ...but many were demanding dev eera which wold have been really ruining the show...then it would have been just a normal love story with no thriller angle.
Mehek s presence makes it interesting and entertainment oriented rather than a run of the mill show...where only the up s and downs of love angles and finally some confession is shown.dev is a Indian thriller so they have to show something which will tag the same as a thriller show.

Whatever everyone say I really like dev and Mehek. I also like amod nerve kar that actor is too good.

Originally posted by: PM1774

I like Meera too ...but many were demanding dev eera which wold have been really ruining the show...then it would have been just a normal love story with no thriller angle.

Mehek s presence makes it interesting and entertainment oriented rather than a run of the mill show...where only the up s and downs of love angles and finally some confession is shown.dev is a Indian thriller so they have to show something which will tag the same as a thriller show.

Whatever everyone say I really like dev and Mehek. I also like amod nerve kar that actor is too good.

Aww, a kindred spirit! I totally agree with you.

Yes, mujhe toh iss angle se bahut mazaa aaya- it would have been run of the mill otherwise. 

It is strange, despite being a Deveera shipper I liked the whole Mehak angle- it was unpredictable and interesting.

And Narvekar- I like him so much too⭐️ The guy who plays him is a solid performer and the character is also interesting. I like the stand offs between Dev and Narvekar and how in contrast he goes soft on Meera- these contrasting aspects make him amazing.
Phir_Mohabbat thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Heyya Amri, great to see you here.

Cop shows couples hardly have any romance per se so I was prepared for meaningful interaction between D/Meera which we got, at least for a while until dev show literally became mehak show 😆 what probably is grating on me isn't the threat on my ship, like I always say you don't cast sumona for nothing and I want to think the cast isn't blind or deaf. There maybe a Vague angel, there maybe nothing but they will stay till the end (S2 or not) and that's all I hope. What's irritating me is this again, dead wife story. Again, dead person not being dead story. Again, dead wife not dead but oh she's a superhero assassin story. Again a sob story. The episodic cases were sacrificed at the alter of femme fatale and it's been 84 years since we had a case which has nothing to do with devs past or shit. I miss that. Also the route they took was so disappointing- look alike returns and she has an abusive husband, come on! Some originality please! I would have so loved if they introduced chakravyuh and Mehak angle though a case, the emotional impact would have been so well. And I can't believe dev in his "plan" got intimate with a girl he knows has deceived him and trapped for 3 murders. What the heck was that?! 

About romance- what is romance? For a daily soap which runs 30mins everyday it has boy meets girl, their buildup like nok jhok or Gul brand romance, then understanding, some almost kisses and dupatta flying, some third angle for jealousy, angsty I love you or hate marriage. That's it. This is telly Romance in a nutshell. I don't think any of us hoped 26epi Wala show will give us these along with cases. If someone thought that some of us hoped that 🤣 

Originally posted by: .Avengers.

Cop shows couples hardly have any romance per se so I was prepared for meaningful interaction between D/Meera which we got, at least for a while until dev show literally became mehak show 😆 what probably is grating on me isn't the threat on my ship, like I always say you don't cast sumona for nothing and I want to think the cast isn't blind or deaf. There maybe a Vague angel, there maybe nothing but they will stay till the end (S2 or not) and that's all I hope. What's irritating me is this again, dead wife story. Again, dead person not being dead story. Again, dead wife not dead but oh she's a superhero assassin story. Again a sob story. The episodic cases were sacrificed at the alter of femme fatale and it's been 84 years since we had a case which has nothing to do with devs past or shit. I miss that. Also the route they took was so disappointing- look alike returns and she has an abusive husband, come on! Some originality please! I would have so loved if they introduced chakravyuh and Mehak angle though a case, the emotional impact would have been so well. And I can't believe dev in his "plan" got intimate with a girl he knows has deceived him and trapped for 3 murders. What the heck was that?! 

About romance- what is romance? For a daily soap which runs 30mins everyday it has boy meets girl, their buildup like nok jhok or Gul brand romance, then understanding, some almost kisses and dupatta flying, some third angle for jealousy, angsty I love you or hate marriage. That's it. This is telly Romance in a nutshell. I don't think any of us hoped 26epi Wala show will give us these along with cases. If someone thought that some of us hoped that 🤣 

Hey Ri! Nice to see you here!😃

Haha, I really enjoyed your observations, especially the last para- had me in splits.🤣 I have been guilty of that, when I watched Arjun, which was a potent combination of a Gorky-Gul production plus mystery show😭😆 My ship sunk without a trace when the lead gal died. I think I learnt my lesson then😭😆

As for the point in bold- agreed. I actually couldn't bear that particular episode and I switched off the TV, the yoga posturing and the oh-woe-is-me wali Mehak, but it seemed to pick up from the episode where the police chap was killed. The fact that I binge-watched the rest of the episodes helped😆

And yes, I miss the cases too- it is the reason why I am intrigued by this genre, I want wholesome whodunits and fulfilling deductions. This whole Mehak angle could have been way shorter, I agree. Notwithstanding all this,  I still enjoyed yesterday's episode. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I knew Mehak was a crook all along😆 And the fact that Dev suspected it made me relieved.

I think why I am being sprightly is that I enjoyed the build-up to the Chakravyuh thing and how they have managed to keep this enigma around it intact. They have taken these elements into consideration, which I think left me pleasantly surprised. But yes, S2 toh banta hai, because asli mazaa ab aayega. If that doesn't fructify- then this will be a damp squib!😆
Riya_16 thumbnail
Hey loved reading your take and I must say I have similar feelings about quite a few of the angles on the show...and the fact that you too liked/loved watching The Mentalist❤️. Jane and Lisbon had so much potential...but I didn't like the fact that the makers actually made the ship too tedious by dragging this will they won't they thing till the very end and then in just 12 epis...everything was over! Marriage and then pregnancy in one episode. I would have liked a proper execution. But yes to Jisbon❤️🥳
Phir_Mohabbat thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: ..Amri..

Hey Ri! Nice to see you here!😃

Haha, I really enjoyed your observations, especially the last para- had me in splits.🤣 I have been guilty of that, when I watched Arjun, which was a potent combination of a Gorky-Gul production plus mystery show😭😆 My ship sunk without a trace when the lead gal died. I think I learnt my lesson then😭😆

As for the point in bold- agreed. I actually couldn't bear that particular episode and I switched off the TV, the yoga posturing and the oh-woe-is-me wali Mehak, but it seemed to pick up from the episode where the police chap was killed. The fact that I binge-watched the rest of the episodes helped😆

And yes, I miss the cases too- it is the reason why I am intrigued by this genre, I want wholesome whodunits and fulfilling deductions. This whole Mehak angle could have been way shorter, I agree. Notwithstanding all this,  I still enjoyed yesterday's episode. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I knew Mehak was a crook all along😆 And the fact that Dev suspected it made me relieved.

I think why I am being sprightly is that I enjoyed the build-up to the Chakravyuh thing and how they have managed to keep this enigma around it intact. They have taken these elements into consideration, which I think left me pleasantly surprised. But yes, S2 toh banta hai, because asli mazaa ab aayega. If that doesn't fructify- then this will be a damp squib!😆

Ugh damn. the moment dev started I was suddenly sucked into Arjun days. Our damn ships 😆😭 also ncis screwed me royally with Tony ziva so whatever I get is enough for me. 

Mehak being a baddy and dev doing all cause he suspected her was a welcome relief, no doubt. Still didn't like how 5epis were wasted for this. I am actually excited for ajka epi so let's hope less Lou and more action.

Originally posted by: Riya_16

Hey loved reading your take and I must say I have similar feelings about quite a few of the angles on the show...and the fact that you too liked/loved watching The Mentalist❤️. Jane and Lisbon had so much potential...but I didn't like the fact that the makers actually made the ship too tedious by dragging this will they won't they thing till the very end and then in just 12 epis...everything was over! Marriage and then pregnancy in one episode. I would have liked a proper execution. But yes to Jisbon❤️🥳

Heya! Nice to see like minds here!😳 Actually, Mehak reminded me of Erica Flynn a lot, and the parallels between Meera/Dev and Lisbon/Jane are too apparent, i felt;)

I toh expected they wouldn't even pair them up at the end, but the airport scene and the wedding made up for it! I am glad that my ship sailed, with beautiful moments to make up for my wait over 7 seasons😳😆

Ugh damn. the moment dev started I was suddenly sucked into Arjun days. Our damn ships 😆😭 also ncis screwed me royally with Tony ziva so whatever I get is enough for me. 

Mehak being a baddy and dev doing all cause he suspected her was a welcome relief, no doubt. Still didn't like how 5epis were wasted for this. I am actually excited for ajka epi so let's hope less Lou and more action.

Oh, NCIS- Don't get me started!😭 LOL, we are bad news for our ships I guess- maybe we jinx them. *Applies kaala teeka*😆

Word to the last para, it could have been way crisper, no doubt. Let's see kya hota hai aaj😆

purepunjabi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

@bold...exactly same thoughts .right now can't say anything else.so disappointed .and definitely not because I'm just a deERa shipper as assumed by  some lovely ppl😕 I liked them but for me the first reason for watching the show was this genre.and cvs ruined it.

@amru...hey amru..commenting just because of your post..i always loved your analysis and posts.otherwise in current scenarioi was happy being in my silent zone.😆