Saba Qamar in Hindi Medium a promiscuous gold digger?

Posted: 6 years ago
Has anyone seen Hindi Medium? I really liked the story and must say Irfaan Khan and Saba Qamar are both very talented actors however they have shown Saba Qamar's character in a very poor light and made her look like some gold digger. Mithoo is seen pleading with Raj not to unmask the university dean. During the speech on the stage Mithoo was again seen cowering with humilation with the public outburst of her husband. She was shown as very materialistic having concerns that they will lose everything and her superficial life if her husband were to do the right thing.

Now lets analyze. 
  • Did Mithoo married Raj when he was just a nobody and nothing? 
  • She was far more prettier and well off compared to him but she did marry him so how is she a gold digger? 
  • Did she not suffered living in dinghy houses, fighting for water with street ladies and making equally difficult sacrifices all because she wanted a better life for her daughter and wanted her to succeed? 

I was hoping they would show her supportive and comfortable but her character was constantly shown as promiscuousand patriachy once again took over Bollywood where the hero was there to save the day. 

Typical bollywood yet again ruined a very good movie. 
Edited by TheBoss - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pr1yanka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
I saw this movie last week. Loved it.

I don't think it was that black n white. Sometimes people get uncomfortable w getting to be in spotlight...as far as not unmasking the dean is concerned, her character was doing it for her girl n her future...what's gold digger about that I don't understand...I found the ending real n unreal both...real cuz Amrita singh n rest parents keep doing what they were doing...this is exactly what will happen for most people in real life...unreal coz irfan n Saba decide to send their child to govt school...granted they r just one set of parents...but this will not happen for the most part in real life...painting the school is not equal to good education. N I'm not dissing govt schools...I have seen a few in India which are v v good...with awesome results...very few parents will put the education of their children on line to prove a philosophical point...they should have shown irfan helping improve the school educationally (with good teachers etc) not just aesthetically n with few books...

Originally posted by: Pr1yanka

I saw this movie last week. Loved it.

I don't think it was that black n white. Sometimes people get uncomfortable w getting to be in spotlight...as far as not unmasking the dean is concerned, her character was doing it for her girl n her future...what's gold digger about that I don't understand...I found the ending real n unreal both...real cuz Amrita singh n rest parents keep doing what they were doing...this is exactly what will happen for most people in real life...unreal coz irfan n Saba decide to send their child to govt school...granted they r just one set of parents...but this will not happen for the most part in real life...painting the school is not equal to good education. N I'm not dissing govt schools...I have seen a few in India which are v v good...with awesome results...very few parents will put the education of their children on line to prove a philosophical point...they should have shown irfan helping improve the school educationally (with good teachers etc) not just aesthetically n with few books...

I feel the same way to be honest. She was uncomfortable but it could have better projected but if you remember one line he says to her something like you've been stopping me, making me do bad things but anymore not going to listen blah blah. Really? Like what did she even do? Was she ripping him off, blowing his money etc? No. She had equal stake in this relationship and genuinely wanted the best for her daughter. And besides giving up seat for their daughter made no sense. It was based on lottery system to they didnt really rip off the poor guy. And in the end they wasted one good seat they worked so hard for and let it go to waste.

And for the government school part completely agree. Just by painting some walls isn't going to change anything. There is so much more to learn in schools than just studies. I am talking about music, extra cirricular activities like drama, poetry, horse riding, swimming, physical fitness etc. Something government schools cannot do, atleast the ones I know of.
Edited by TheBoss - 6 years ago
i saw the movie last week too. I don't think there was anything wrong with her character, she had her kid education in the mind and was ready to go to any extent. I think they could have extended the ending by showing friendship of the two family which fell apart. After Kahani's vidya performance, I loved Saba performance. 
Pr1yanka thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheBoss

I feel the same way to be honest. She was uncomfortable but it could have better projected but if you remember one line he says to her something like you've been stopping me, making me do bad things but anymore not going to listen blah blah. Really? Like what did she even do? Was she ripping him off, blowing his money etc? No. She had equal stake in this relationship and genuinely wanted the best for her daughter.

And for the government school part completely agree. Just by painting some walls isn't going to change anything. There is so much more to learn in schools than just studies. I am talking about music, extra cirricular activities like drama, poetry, horse riding, swimming, physical fitness etc. Something government schools cannot do, atleast the ones I know of.

I agree with the education points you put across...all that needs capital which is what they should have shown as irfan' contribution...strangely though I'm with both irfan' n Saba' character in that incident you mentioned...Saba's coz cmon she is trying to get the best for her girl n irfan's coz that spot was nog his girl's...I would have loved if irfsn's cgaracter was shown dealing with the point of shopkeeper's children can't get admission in elite school...what kind of craziness was that...if I were in his place, I would have dealt with it then n there...atleast as much as I could lolEdited by Pr1yanka - 6 years ago

Originally posted by: 09tanki

i saw the movie last week too. I don't think there was anything wrong with her character, she had her kid education in the mind and was ready to go to any extent. I think they could have extended the ending by showing friendship of the two family which fell apart. After Kahani's vidya performance, I loved Saba performance. 

In the climax Irfaan conveniently shifts all the blame to her and says shes the reason behind it all and he isn't going to take it anymore and stomps off doing the "right thing". ðŸ˜†

Originally posted by: Pr1yanka

I agree with the education points you put across...all that needs capital which is what they should have shown as irfan' contribution...strangely though I'm with both irfan' n Saba' character in that incident you mentioned...Saba's coz cmon she is trying to get the best for her girl n irfan's coz that spot was nog his girl's...I would have loved if irfsn's cgaracter was shown dealing with the point of shopkeeper's children can't get admission in elite school...what kind of craziness was that...if I were in his place, I would have dealt with it then n there...atleast as much as I could lol

I think director suffered a memory loss and forgot the point of contention instead Irfaan suddenly took a u-turn and went on to badmouth private schools and act like its all just a giant waste, even the parents of other kids were made to look cold hearted like they had some say in all of this? Honestly I dont even agree with the RTE for private schools. Why? Why should somebody just based on their caste or income be afforded to mix with the rest of them who have paid a premium? How is it fair to them? I see this as no different then applying for a US visa. Ab jaake bolenge kya US embassy ke samne ke sabko visa do aur sabki fees maaf karo, sabka bank statement mat pucho. ðŸ˜†
Pr1yanka thumbnail

I think director suffered a memory loss and forgot the point of contention instead Irfaan suddenly took a u-turn and went on to badmouth private schools and act like its all just a giant waste, even the parents of other kids were made to look cold hearted like they had some say in all of this? Honestly I dont even agree with the RTE for private schools. Why? Why should somebody just based on their caste or income be afforded to mix with the rest of them who have paid a premium? How is it fair to them? I see this as no different then applying for a US visa. Ab jaake bolenge kya US embassy ke samne ke sabko visa do aur sabki fees maaf karo, sabka bank statement mat pucho.😆

At my school in India, we had this social service core group, which ran a parallel school with us in our premises...they appeared in same national exams etc n sports n everything...but their classes were held separately coz their education was free...one of the girls did so well in her class she was given a special recommendation n scholarship to join the main school...she actually is an engineer from IIT now..even in sports, they were brilliant...but yes, that divide was there...I mean they had different classes n all

In the climax Irfaan conveniently shifts all the blame to her and says shes the reason behind it all and he isn't going to take it anymore and stomps off doing the "right thing". ðŸ˜†

yeah he puts the blame on her but that's husband nature, they will blame wife when thing goes wrong. 😆 the education system in India is all messed up, i know my friend in her tri mester went to school, to enroll her unborn baby in school but that particular school denied admission because they were late by 1 week  and then there is extra marks based on SC/ST caste, so parents pay extra money to change their caste so that their kid can get extra 5% or 10% mark in exam and also reserve future school and job. 

Originally posted by: 09tanki

yeah he puts the blame on her but that's husband nature, they will blame wife when thing goes wrong. 😆 the education system in India is all messed up, i know my friend in her tri mester went to school, to enroll her unborn baby in school but that particular school denied admission because they were late by 1 week  and then there is extra marks based on SC/ST caste, so parents pay extra money to change their caste so that their kid can get extra 5% or 10% mark in exam and also reserve future school and job. 

To tell you the truth never been a fan of this reservation quotas as it's no different to nepotism because you have an advantage based entirely due to who you are rather than your skills. This movie while very good failed to address that. It's no different than paying for economy class and feeling discriminated for not flying first class and crying unfair treatment. And to top it off he comes off as a sore loser when he threw his wife under the bus and made her into some monster like she had put a gun to his head to do the things he did.