Tracing Kashibai: The 'first' lady article

Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

Found one article about kashibai so sharing it here. though show had protray kashibai such she was quiet n soft spoken

http://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/kashibai-the-first-lady/

Built on Kashibai's suggestion, Someshwar Temple stands tall. Its speciality is a tall structure called the Deepmala, upon which 256 diyas can be placed at a time. (Express photo by Arul Horizon)

Sprinkled with small houses on either side of the narrow lanes, Chaaskaman paints an idyllic village scene " a farmer working his land with his pair of bulls; a shepherd and his flock of sheep; girls at a handpump busy filling water. However, the village, which is situated 70 km away from Pune, houses a structure in the heart of the village that stands out not only because of its impressive size but also the history associated with it. This is where Kashibai, the first wife of Bajirao Peshwa I, was born and raised. While Sanjay Leela Bhansali's recent release, Bajirao Mastani, explores the lesser-known love story of the Marathi warrior, a longer look into history reveals that there was more to Kashibai, other than being a devoted wife who struggled to accept her husband's relationship with Mastani.

Kashibai's father, Mahadji Krishna Joshi, was originally from Talsure village in Ratnagiri and later shifted to Chaaskaman. The descendants of Kashibai's brother, Krushnarao Joshi, still live in this village in the 300-year-old fort-like haveli where Kashibai was born. Weather-beaten in some places, the old massive house still stands strong.

Lakshmikant Chaskar Joshi, from 11th generation descendant of Krushnarao, says that once an owner of 300 acres of land, Mahadji was a wealthy sahukar (moneylender) as well as the subedar of the Maratha empire in Kalyan, a factor which he claims, played a strong role in the alliance of Bajirao and Kashibai. They were married in 1711, when Bajirao was 11 years and Kashibai, only eight.

The haveli in Chaaskaman, built in the wada style, is spread across nearly two acres and still has the delivery room where Kashibai, fondly called Laadubai, was born. "The newborn and the mother stayed in the same room for four months to keep away from infection," says Smita Chaskar Joshi, the younger daughter-in-law of the Joshi family. Today, the delivery room is used as a store room.

Every weekend, the house and family is visited by tourists who are keen to see Bajirao's sasural. A book, Sahali Ek Divasyachya Parisaraat Punyachya, by PK Ghanekar, that acts as a travel guide for the places one can visit in and around Pune, lists the house as a tourist spot.

According to historian Pandurang Balkawade, Kashibai was quiet and soft-spoken. "Historical documents suggest that Bajirao treated her with love and respect. She was ready to accept Mastani but couldn't go against her mother-in-law Radhabai and brother-in-law Chimaji Appa. Besides, 18th century women did not have a say in important matters and Kashibai was no exception," he says.

Balkawade adds though the society of that era was male-dominated and sati-pratha was rampant, a few strong and talented women did step out of the house. "Women like Tarabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Umabai Dabhade ruled and fought battles just like their male counterparts," he says.

Pune-based Mahendra Peshwa, the ninth descendant of Bajirao Peshwa, says, "Mostly, male members of the family were out on the battlefield. Kashibai controlled the day-to-day running of the empire, especially of Poona. And it was possible because of her social nature. After the death of Mastani, she made sure that her son, Shamsher Bahadur, got his initial weapon training at Shaniwarwada, and took care of his overall well-being."

Mahendra says that after the death of Bajirao, Kashibai immersed herself in religious activities. "When she returned from a pilgrimage to Rameshwar in July 1747, she suggested to her brother that a temple like the one in Rameshwar should be built in Chaaskamaan also. The brother instantly began the work on Laadubai's suggestion," he says. The temple was built in 1749.

Situated over a kilometre away from the haveli, the Someshwar Temple stands tall. Spread across an area of 1.5 acre, the specialty of the temple is a tall structure called the Deepmala, upon which 256 diyas can be placed at a time. "On Tripurari Poornima, the whole family visits the temple. The Deepmala and the entire temple is then lit up with diyas," says Swati Chaskar Joshi, the elder daughter-in-law.

Nobody from the Joshi family has seen Bajirao Mastani as yet. They feel the songs, Pinga and Malhari, are not in sync with history. "Back then, if a woman wanted to speak to a man, she would have to speak from the room itself, and not step out. It would not have been possible for Kashibai to dance the way her character does in the film," says Smita.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swriter thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
thanks for it dear... i have already read many things about bajirao and kashibai... who clearly described their love and trust for each other... i don't know why people want to mislead character of bajirao on name of so called love story ðŸ˜¡

yaha film ki tarah bajirao ko only mastani lover boy na bana de ðŸ˜¡
Edited by swriter - 6 years ago
goofyCat thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. Very much informative! Is this Chaas Kaman village located somewhere near Satara?
I totally agree with the last paragraph. It was for the same reason that I didn't feel like watching the movie..
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail

Originally posted by: swriter

thanks for it dear... i have already read many things about bajirao and kashibai... who clearly described their love and trust for each other... i don't know why people want to mislead character of bajirao on name of so called love story ðŸ˜¡

yaha film ki tarah bajirao ko only mastani lover boy na bana de ðŸ˜¡

welcome pb team were butcher kashi's character so searched on net for it and found this
yeh film was full of very much drama
and they are showing kashibai very arogant
but have feeling that they want to show radhabai taming her and her mother shiubai will be culprit in rau kashi's relations

Edited by Marathi_Mulgi - 6 years ago
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail

Originally posted by: _goofyCat_

Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. Very much informative! Is this Chaas Kaman village located somewhere near Satara?

I totally agree with the last paragraph. It was for the same reason that I didn't feel like watching the movie..

welcome
search for chas village and found this

Chas is a panchayat village in the state of Maharashtra, India, on the left (east) bank of the Bhima River. Administratively, Chas is under Khed Taluka of Pune District in Maharashtra

it was under pune district so was connected to peshwas and its said to be kashibai often use to travel between both places occasionally before shifting finaly to her in laws.

movie was overdramatic
swriter thumbnail

Originally posted by: Marathi_Mulgi

welcome pb team were butcher kashi's character so searched on net for it and found this
yeh film was full of very much drama
and they are showing kashibai very arogant
but have feeling that they want to show radhabai taming her and her mother shiubai will be culprit in rau kashi's relations

I don't like this thing dear... They want to destroy real character of kashibai
Which is not good... Truely No one know about real relationship between Mastani and Rau .
But one thing is clear that bajirao was in deeply love with kashibai and
their love and respect full relationship had been continuing till death of bajirao...
Kashibai was most influenal lady in whole 9th peshwas...
She was really intelligent, cute and soft hearted lady...
We have only rumours about bajirao and Mastani without any solid proof
Then why we want to denial true love story of bajirao and Kashi
For some imaginary thing...
😡

I know Mastani was also in life of bajirao...
But how can you say that bajirao was mad in love with Mastani
And forgot everything for her... 😡

I really hate this thing... 😡
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail

I don't like this thing dear... They want to destroy real character of kashibai
Which is not good... Truely No one know about real relationship between Mastani and Rau .
But one thing is clear that bajirao was in deeply love with kashibai and
their love and respect full relationship had been continuing till death of bajirao...
Kashibai was most influenal lady in whole 9th peshwas...
She was really intelligent, cute and soft hearted lady...
We have only rumours about bajirao and Mastani without any solid proof
Then why we want to denial true love story of bajirao and Kashi
For some imaginary thing...
😡

I know Mastani was also in life of bajirao...
But how can you say that bajirao was mad in love with Mastani
And forgot everything for her... 😡

I really hate this thing... 😡

yes they are showing kashi arrogant whereas she was softspoken though she was pampered and loved at her fathers house. don't know about mastani n rau relationship as din't read much on that but kashibai and rau had respectful n trustworthy relationship had reading one fictional novel as writer also had same opinion. Between radhabai was most influencial  n whole peshwain as she was first and had contribution in upwardward journey of peshwas.
don't know about kashi baji relationship as no were written abt it and also about mastani and bajirao its heard  so can't say about proof.
swriter thumbnail

Originally posted by: Marathi_Mulgi

yes they are showing kashi arrogant whereas she was softspoken though she was pampered and loved at her fathers house. don't know about mastani n rau relationship as din't read much on that but kashibai and rau had respectful n trustworthy relationship had reading one fictional novel as writer also had same opinion. Between radhabai was most influencial n whole peshwain as she was first and had contribution in upwardward journey of peshwas.
don't know about kashi baji relationship as no were written abt it and also about mastani and bajirao its heard so can't say about proof.

I have no problem with Mastani dear but I have problem with presentation of Baji and her relationship...
I have read lots of about relationship of Baji and Kashibai two or three years before film bajirao Mastani
On internet there were lots of information about it... But with releasing of film most of information had changed

Second there is no proof about love story of bajirao and Mastani .
I don't know why people want to convert bajirao from warrior to Devdas... 😡
Why they want to make sideline to kashibai... 😡
While kashibai was most important loveable part of bajirao's life...
I really didn't like movie because they showed bajirao like cheater husband
While he was not...

😭

No dear kashibai was most influential lady of whole peshwain ...
U know in her and baji's marriage, everything was according to her taste...
Her mandap was decorated by her favourite flowers...
In her in laws home , she got same love and Power...
Even she had all control of peshawai in absence of bajirao...
She had enough influence on bajirao...
I really want to see this type of strong and loveable and pure relationship between bajirao and Kashibai...
But I know no one will show it...
😭 Edited by swriter - 6 years ago
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail

I have no problem with Mastani dear but I have problem with presentation of Baji and her relationship...
I have read lots of about relationship of Baji and Kashibai two or three years before film bajirao Mastani
On internet there were lots of information about it... But with releasing of film most of information had changed

Second there is no proof about love story of bajirao and Mastani .
I don't know why people want to convert bajirao from warrior to Devdas... 😡
Why they want to make sideline to kashibai... 😡
While kashibai was most important loveable part of bajirao's life...
I really didn't like movie because they showed bajirao like cheater husband
While he was not...

😭

No dear kashibai was most influential lady of whole peshwain ...
U know in her and baji's marriage, everything was according to her taste...
Her mandap was decorated by her favourite flowers...
In her in laws home , she got same love and Power...
Even she had all control of peshawai in absence of bajirao...
She had enough influence on bajirao...
I really want to see this type of strong and loveable and pure relationship between bajirao and Kashibai...
But I know no one will show it...
😭

hope they will show such kashi
can u give links where u read about kashi

Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
for now reading one fictional on watpad

https://www.wattpad.com/story/93017969-kashibai-peshwe