Anuj Saxena--New Direction

anishma24 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
New Direction

Anil Merani
Posted online: Friday, December 08, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

Anuj Saxena, the self-confessed most-married man on Indian television, is starting a new chapter in his life by becoming producer of SET's upcoming daily soap Kulvaddhu under the aegis of his production company, Maverick. Screen caught up with this doctor-turned-actor on the sets of Kulvaddhu for a quick chat... What is Kulvaddhu all about ?
It's about the trial and tribulations of a modern-day girl Niyati, who is forced by circumstances to face an uncertain future. How different would this be from the myriad other family soaps on telly?
It's different in the sense that the challenges she faces are not on the home front but rather on the world front. See we have to keep certain accepted formats in mind, where the female has to be the protagonist, her interactions with the family also have to be shown. Where we have tried to be different is that she is not bogged down by issues of marriage and children, rather she will confront the other real issues, that contemporary women face today. You have adopted a Rajasthani backdrop for your new show?
Yes, Rajasthan has a very unique and beautiful culture, Which we hope to showcase to the world through our show especially the jewelry and costumes those beautiful women wear. Why have you taken a new pair in the lead?
We wanted a pair which is completely fresh. The audience should not be able to relate to them in any other form except through the characters they essay. Having said that I also wish to clarify that luckily these two, though being new, were quick learners, for neither do I have the patience nor the time to coach new people who are not up to the mark. Why did you choose Sony for your first TV production?
I had sent my pilot to all channels, including Sony and luckily, SET accepted it first. Interacting with Sony is easier, as I have worked with them before and hence there is a certain comfort level.
< = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/banner/screenfullstory.js">
Maverick is even into documentary making!
I want to show that Maverick is very serious about content, it's not that we only make fiction, but we also make socially relevant programming as well. Besides the social aspect, such documentaries(On child birth by Suhana Bhattacharya) have a very good market abroad, so we will surely make money. Among the various shows you have done, which do you think is the best?
I will have to name two shows here, the character of Abhay in Kkusum is very important for getting me where I am today. But personally I like Jatin's character in Kumkum the most. Some time ago you had said that you will not act on TV, but you keep coming back...
I did say that I will not act on the tube but somehow fate has something else in mind. So from now on, I have decided to keep doing TV. Currently I am doing Rishton Ki Dor which is on its way to a close, a cameo in Solhah Singaarr and Aroona Irani's Doli Saja Ke. Moral of the story, never say never. You have not yet won any TV award?
(laughs) I probably don't fulfill the criteria of the judges. But then ironically, while my own folk think I am not that good, the West comes forward and recognizes my talent and gives me (The first Indian male television actor) the honour of presenting the prestigious Emmy awards. You will be appearing as a father in Aroona Irani's Doli Saja Ke? Don't you have a problem playing older roles?
No, not at all. I am an actor and I should be able to play all kinds of roles. Besides I have done a father's role in Kkusum before so why not now. You seem to be juggling many hats, acting, production house, your father's pharma company and now your new hotel(Blue Waters), how do you balance your time and energies?
See it's a matter of time management. More importantly, I have a core team of thorough professionals who share my beliefs and vision. I set them tasks which they accomplish to the T. Nowadays reality shows are the rage, do you think they will last or will fall by the wayside?
Our audience needs change, hence they seem to be taking a liking to reality shows, but the problem here is that if one show is a hit, everybody jumps on the bandwagon and churns out similar content. In this process, quality suffers. For instance, although Indian Idol was a hit, its sequel failed. Producers and channels need to constantly think out of the box to come up with new ideas and keep the viewers hooked, who otherwise will use the most powerful weapon in their armoury and send the TRPs plunging. Do you think male actors stand a chance to get top billing in this female dominated industry?
Yes byGod's grace, I have got lots of respect and standing in this industry. Although the protagonist is female she still needs her husband, brother or other male characters to complete the picture. If the guys don't act well, won't the serial just collapse? Besides me, Ronit Roy, Varun Badola and Mihir Mishra are the other well established male stars around. What went wrong with your debut film lips-The Kiss Of Death? Will it ever get released?
Although it hurts, I believe in destiny. Some things are not meant to be. Probably Lips falls into that category. I don't want to think more about this, I would rather move on. What about your silver screen aspirations?
I still want to appear on the big screen, it's my dream and luckily I am now in that position to launch my self, if nobody else will do it. It is just a matter of time.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=14336

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Kiran. thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Has been posted.
All topics related to Kulvadhuu should be posted in the sticky post.

~Topic Closed~

RKD Dev. Team