Priyadarshan: The jury did the right thing

JackSparrowcraz thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
You said when Ramesh Sippy was the jury chairman Amitabh Bachchan was adjudged Best Actor, when Prakash Jha headed the jury, Ajay Devgn received the award. How does that justify giving the award to Akshay Kumar and Mohanlal, and also absolve you from your responsibilities?
My responsibility was to the stand by the jury and do the right thing. What I had said was this had happened before, but no had questioned it then. Then why are people making a hue and cry now? I stand by the jury's decision. Last year, when Baahubali won the Best Film Award, Adoor Gopalakrishnan sir had said that film awards are given for decorations. That's his opinion and we welcome individual opinions; but that's not going to change the fate of the awards.

Did it cross your mind when Akshay Kumar and Mohanlal were in the final two for the Best Actor that you would be criticised?

Imagine my plight when they were the final contenders. But let me explain the process. Before heading the jury, I was individually impressed by a lot of films like Appa, Leela and Guppy. But these movies were not selected by the regional jury. So, out of the 334 films that were considered, many films that I personally considered were good, never made to the last 86 movies that were viewed by national jury. We could decide only from these movies. The list of winners was chosen by 38 jury members and I don't believe that they were senseless. It was a collective decision.

The jury chairman is not the one who makes the decision. Chairman's vote counts only if there is a dispute. The winners are chosen by voting by the jury members that included one member from every state. There were professors, vice chancellors, critics, filmmakers and journalists. I have to agree with their collective decision. For this year's awards, I didn't cast a single vote because the decisions were unanimous.

Even for the inclusion of the Best Action Choreographer, the jury faced a lot flak?

For 63 years, these professionals were completely ignored in cinema. Some of our great heroes - be it Prem Nazir, MGR, NTR or Amitabh Bachchan - they became superstars because of the contribution from the stuntmen. This year the government has decided to recognise their contribution. I don't understand the furore over that. So many stuntmen have died trying to make movies great.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
The thing is even if you are cheating you need to be smart about it๐Ÿ˜†

Lets say Amitabh and Ajay weren't the the best in the year they won but they were one of the best.Their performances and movies were appreciated by critics.Hence when they won there wasn't a huge hue and cry.

But neither Akshay's performance nor Rustom as a movie was appreciated by critics hence his winning seems out of the blue.

Like i said even if you are cheating do it smartly not blindly.Atleast they could have given Akshay award for Airlift .Criticism would have been lesser.
DarkUnicorn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Everyday this guy is giving new excuses and explanation!
Jin logo ko shak nahi hua unki bhi shak ho jaye ga.
If you're happy with your decision then stop whining to the media.
His contant explanations have guilt written all over it.

And the Aamir one the other day took the cake. Agar Aamir nahi leta award toh Manoj or Hooda maar Gaya the.
Yeh explanation deke toh Akki ki bhi insult kar di. Bechare ko bheek mein mila award.
bokul thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 3
Seriously why is he so bothered ? And why is he changing his statements every time ? 
.Peaceminusone. thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
The more clarifications, explanations, justification he gives, the surer people will become of the accusations. 
He's whinning a little too much now... 
JackSparrowcraz thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Edit:

Priyadarshan: I am not doing any film with Akshay Kumar

Karan Shah | Published: April 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Akshay Kumar was awarded the 64th National Film Award for the Best Actor last Friday. The decision divided everyone in the nation. Priyadarshan's weird statements defending Akshay's selection only made it worse. However, the filmmaker defended the jury's decision and made a few outrageous statements. Amidst this controversy, there were suggestions that Priyadarshan was planning to do a movie with Akshay and hence, he might have been tempted to award the superstar.But Priyadarshan put an end to such suggestions by revealing that his next few films will NOT feature Akshay Kumar at all. In fact, the filmmaker mentioned how he is not even talking with the superstar for any movie. He also added that his next few projects star Abhishek Bachchan and Ajay Devgn. As Priyadarshan told DNA After Hrs, "I am not doing any film with Akshay. The only two films that I am in talks with actors for, are with Abhishek Bachchan for Bachchan Singh (working title) which is a pure commercial entertainer written by Rumi Jaffrey and Ajay Devgn for the Hindi remake of Oppam. I don't know why people feel that I can solely influence a jury of 12 to take such an important call. The jury members are artists from all the country and various regional movies. I am just the Chairperson and it was a unanimous decision to vote for Akshay." 

Edited by JackSparrowcraz - 7 years ago
Justmoi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
The guilty keep justifying. Lost any credibility the minute he opened his mouth. 
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

The thing is even if you are cheating you need to be smart about it๐Ÿ˜†

Lets say Amitabh and Ajay weren't the the best in the year they won but they were one of the best.Their performances and movies were appreciated by critics.Hence when they won there wasn't a huge hue and cry.

But neither Akshay's performance nor Rustom as a movie was appreciated by critics hence his winning seems out of the blue.

Like i said even if you are cheating do it smartly not blindly.Atleast they could have given Akshay award for Airlift .Criticism would have been lesser.

Bingo! Cheating has to be smart like Big B does. Rustom also has a Zee connection.